Reverse Lock Out

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
Does anyone know the purpose of this device other than locking the tranny? Was it a safety or security gadget. The other day I pulled my ignition key and the whole lock switch came with it. A thief can pull the tumbler and then turn the switch, but what if there is no switch. Another problem would be how to defeat the lock out mechanism. A thief can hot wire the car but would need to drive away in reverse.

mike

Does anyone know the purpose of this device other than locking the tranny? Was it a safety or security gadget. The other day I pulled my ignition key and the whole lock switch came with it. A thief can pull the tumbler and then turn the switch, but what if there is no switch. Another problem would be how to defeat the lock out mechanism. A thief can hot wire the car but would need to drive away in reverse.

mike
It makes you put the car in reverse before taking key out.

If your key assy came out you have a broken lock or column

You have to push a tab under the steering wheel to get key lock assy out.

Don

mike

It makes you put the car in reverse before taking key out.

If your key assy came out you have a broken lock or column

You have to push a tab under the steering wheel to get key lock assy out.

Don

So it is a safety device. Do you know what years these were used?

I know the lock is broken, the pin is gone. Already have another set, just waiting to finish touch up work on the doors and steering wheel, applique.

mike

mike
A while ago my 3-spd manual was getting very difficult to get into first gear. I climbed under the car and found the small rubber bushing had deteriorated on the pin that connects the lock-out rod to the gearbox, and when I was trying for first gear the lock-out rod would kick to one side and foul on the gearbox casing.

So I removed the rod completely as it was an annoying concept anyway.

Yesterday i installed this rod on my car!!... In fact, not too long ago i found out that this is why my 70 coupé didn´t loose the key unless it is in reverse.. jeje...

I think it was a safety device back then.. easily hackable but the thief has to know that classic mustangs has this thing and unplugg it from the bottom of the car... At least, is an easy way not to forget the keys on the car or the car in neutral with the possible dumb accident i had some time ago with a VW... I left the car parked and 10 seconds after i hear a crash and that was my car stoping against a tree few meter forward :p

In my intent of taking my car back to his original specs, this "device" for sure was a cute find :p

Back