1971 Mach 1 Carpet Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas280z

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 H code FMX Grabber Blue with 5W Deluxe White Interior
I finally installed the carpet that I got from CJ Pony this winter. The carpet that came with the car, which I do not believe was original, was completely worn out.

The install was not bad, the hardest part was trimming the carpet to fit under the various trim bits that hold it in place and the placing the holes for the seat and seat belt bolts.

To fit the carpet I removed the seats, kick panels, and loosened the quarter panel trim. Removing the rear seat was a bit of a pain, but it seems that is true in all muscle cars. Just have to get that right angle of pressure to get the seat out of the clips that hold it in place.

Good news is that the PO was correct when they said that they had put down a dynamat type product on the floor boards. With the carpets out the floor looked really good.

The center console is not secured at this time, it has been loose since I bought it. Once I am confident that I will not need to pull the carpet again I will drill some holes and secure it with sheet metal screws. The shifter holds the console in place pretty well for now.

All in all, the install wasn't too bad. A good deal of work, about 4 hours in total, but nothing that your average do it yourselfer couldn't tackle.

Pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/xGiDCJpDbe9phPKz7

Looks really nice. Just curious on how you located the seat and seatbelt bolt holes? My plan was to thread the bolts into the holes and lay the carpet in then fit it then cut an X on top of each bolt so it could poke through. It there a better way to go about this? I too got the cut pile with mass back and I am afraid with the backing it will be difficult to find the bolts once in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I laid the old carpet over the new, and transferred the holes like that. From there, I used a screw driver to find the bolt hole through the hole in the carpet.

Installation looks really good!

Thanks! I am quite happy with how it turned out. I am glad I went with the medium pile over the original style. The pusher carpet is a nice upgrade. Combine that with the mass back and PO's dynamat style insulation and the interior is a much nicer place to be for extended periods of time than my glass packed Datsun!

I'd like to see some pics of the Datsun. I assume a 280z by your name. What year? I always loves those cars. They are a blast to drive.
Yup, '78 280z. Restored it with my dad a few years back.

http://imgur.com/a/Fhxle

I'd like to see some pics of the Datsun. I assume a 280z by your name. What year? I always loves those cars. They are a blast to drive.
Yup, '78 280z. Restored it with my dad a few years back.

http://imgur.com/a/Fhxle
Very nice. Great job on the resto. They are hard to find in my area and not a complete rust bucket. I was lucky to find my Stang rust free. The PO had purchased it in California where it was originally delivered two years prior and then needed to sell it. I got lucky. I've been down the rust bucket road before and do not want to do it again.

Back