Door weatherstrip

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73429mach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
1972 Mustang Mach 1 under construction
I was test fitting my door weatherstrip today, it seems that it is about 2 inches longer than the originals. The mounting holes are off by 2 inches. These are Daniel Carpenter seals, it says for all body styles, part # D1ZZ-6520530. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Is there a different seal? Is there a different manufacturer that fits? Thanks, Ryan

IMG_20160326_171203_047.jpg

I was test fitting my door weatherstrip today, it seems that it is about 2 inches longer than the originals. The mounting holes are off by 2 inches. These are Daniel Carpenter seals, it says for all body styles, part # D1ZZ-6520530. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Is there a different seal? Is there a different manufacturer that fits? Thanks, Ryan
Be real careful not to stretch it as you route it. It is easy to do with that EPDM rubber, then you are suddenly too long.

That would be my guess.

kcmash

Be real careful not to stretch it as you route it. It is easy to do with that EPDM rubber, then you are suddenly too long.

That would be my guess.

kcmash
I understand what you are saying. This was just a trial fit. I basically just laid the weatherstripping in position, it's not stretched at all.

The door seal is the same on all models. The A post seal is different. I just installed a set of Daniel Carpenter A post seals on my 73 vert and they were perfect no issues at all.

Don't know what to say you might give them a call and ask them to give you an overall measurement on the seal to compare to yours. They extrude the major part of the seal then mold the ends on. I guess it could be possible to cut the main part too long.

Let us know for sure since I was probably going to do them next.

David

How old are they ? I had the same Issue with a set I purchased about 4 years ago. I recently purchased a set for the green 72 they fit perfect --What you have to do is screw in both sides and work a little at a time side to side working your way to the middle of the door.

I had the same issue, I bought mine in 2012, I did like "Q" said, I worked both sides to the middle bottom, then I made a clean slice and cut off the remaining 3" and glued it together, I never had an issue.

one side had about 3" extra, the other side was about 2".

How old are they ? I had the same Issue with a set I purchased about 4 years ago. I recently purchased a set for the green 72 they fit perfect --What you have to do is screw in both sides and work a little at a time side to side working your way to the middle of the door.
They have a manufacture date of Aug 2014 on the package. I received them around Dec 2014, just now took them out of the package. Did you end up cutting them like others are saying or did it work out when you started from the ends and worked your way to the middle without cutting?

You should not have to cut it

Screw in the two ends and as Q said work each end towards the center.

Don't pull it, compress it, you can easily pull the w-strip to make it longer and push it together / compress it to make it shorter.

Screw to two ends in, tape the middle up and you can test / see how to fit it, working towards each end before gluing.

They have a manufacture date of Aug 2014 on the package. I received them around Dec 2014, just now took them out of the package. Did you end up cutting them like others are saying or did it work out when you started from the ends and worked your way to the middle without cutting?
I didn't cut them worked out starting from ends towards the middle.

Well, after taking everybody's advice, I think it looks like they will fit. I mounted the ends, worked my way to the center and it took up the slack. I won't have to cut anything.Time to get the glue out. Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. Glad I have this forum. Ryan.IMG_20160327_200529_494.jpgIMG_20160327_200501_675.jpgIMG_20160327_200437_940.jpg

Good work on this, Ryan ::thumb::

Will keep that in mind when it's my turn to do the same in a few months...
Thanks, we are lucky to have this forum so we can go back and reference this info.

Back