AM/FM wiring plug configuration?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Ok to start out I was excited over getting the correct wire harness for my 73 vert. I had everything back in the dash on the bench and was down to the AM/FM radio. I had already cleaned and painted the surround and the radio was in place. I has two plugs on the radio as shown in the pictures. I found one two post plug that has a small lug and a larger lug that plugged in. Looks like it is for the light and maybe the power feed.

I did a search of the site but did not see any info that worked for me.

The other plug has 5 wires, blue with white hash, orange with green, pink with green line, pink with blue and white with green.

There is no place in the harness to plug in. The radio came out of a 72 parts car and I had another 73 vert there that has I know a working AM/FM. So I pulled the radio out and it was a total mess of cut and splice wires and was different than the one I was trying to use. What does the proper plug look like and where does it come from? There are no cut places in the harness. Does it somehow hook up to the auxiliary connection on the fuse block? I have the 5 pin connector from the donor car but do not know what to hook the wires to?? I assume the two grounds for speakers hook to one of the plug wires and the right and left to their own plug but have no clue where to hook the other two wires. The wiring diagrams are no help to this old guy I need a simple picture of diagram for just the radio. I have the two wires going to the door speakers.

Could it be the radio I have is set up for front and rear speakers in a later model Ford? If so that would be ok since the PO had put kenwood speakers in the rear side panels.

I don't want to put the dash back in until I have all the wiring done and the radio is the last part of the puzzle.

Thanks for any help. I head back to the shop to work and have no internet there and will be late tonight back here. If some answer in the next hour would get me putting the dash in today.

Wish you could download this stuff to my brain.

David

CAM_0073.JPG

CAM_0074.JPG

CAM_0075.JPG

CAM_0076.JPG

CAM_0077.JPG

CAM_0078.JPG

CAM_0072.JPG

Pretty sure correct 73 am-fm only has a 2 wire and a 3 wire plug

Dave:

You have the power and radio light (two prong plug) correct.

Circa 1972, the stereo radio speaker plug changed from a four pin square plug but only three are active. The wire call-outs are:

Stereo Harness

4 pin plug, 3 used black/white L, R 2 prong plugs

4 pin plug, 3 used orange Left signal left 2 prong plug

4 pin plug, 3 used white right signal right 2 pring plug

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave:

You have the power and radio light (two prong plug) correct.

Circa 1972, the stereo radio speaker plug changed from a four pin square plug but only three are active. The wire call-outs are:

Stereo Harness

4 pin plug, 3 used black/white L, R 2 prong plugs

4 pin plug, 3 used orange Left signal left 2 prong plug

4 pin plug, 3 used white right signal right 2 pring plug
Darn I forgot to take a picture of the radio case with part number. I think this one is later model maybe 75 or 76 but the face looks the same with the same AM/FM slide.

With the 5 pin plug on the radio with the color codes I put in original mail could it be for front and rear speakers?

I have a heck of a time with the wiring diagrams they do not give a legend for the abbreviations and I seldom figure them out. I worked for 20 years with Square D and Cutler Hammer but never learned much about electrical I was in tool & die shop building molds, dies and working on automatic assembly equipment. These little boxes are not for me.

Thanks for you help. If I start hooking up wires testing will I burn anything out or let the smoke out?

David

Unlikely that you'll blow something up. If for stereo, it is likely left and right plus and minus (that's four wires). For front stereo and rear mono, you're likely to have six wires. I dunno about five wires unless the left and right share a common ground. You need to consult the 75/76 schematics, which I don't have.

Yes, L/R share the same common pin.

And if its 4 channel radio FR/FL and RR/RL that also share one common for all 4 channels.

I have the radio schematics on one of my hard drives, I'll have to look them up to post.

Yes, L/R share the same common pin.

And if its 4 channel radio FR/FL and RR/RL that also share one common for all 4 channels.

I have the radio schematics on one of my hard drives, I'll have to look them up to post.
That would be great. That is what I figured it had to be was for front and rear but do not know which wire goes where. I will go ahead and make provisions for the extra wires going to the rear speakers the PO had put in. I just hope the radio is still good have not tested.

David

Back