Power Steering

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
I don't want to eliminate the power steering but is there a way to reduce the amount of assist? You can turn the wheel quite easily with just one finger and in my opinion is too much assistance from the power steering. I like a little resistance when turning the wheel. Any advice or ideas appreciated.

With a bigger wheel

m-img-0995.jpg

lollerz

Sorry, Jason - I only want to have some fun today at least once... :whistling:

Nice. That's a cool old Mack Truck.
Yes, you're right - I like them very much - no chance to see here one in Europe...

http://www.truckinginfo.com/blog/on-the-road/print/story/2013/10/twin-sticks-to-no-sticks-trucks-have-sure-come-a-long-way-baby.aspx

But back to topic - don't wanna highjack your thread, sorry. Any help for Jason?!? I know what you mean - it is very soft - good for parking but not for driving faster. But can't help for that. A little bit more sturdy would be good...

How much are you willing to spend to do it?

Fast ratio boxes can be built that don't feel so overassisted.

You could probably reduce pressure by going to a larger pulley on the PS pump. I would think that would reduce the overassisted feel somewhat.

I always hated the feel of my 72 coupe's power steering. My current car has manual steering and while parking it can be a bitch, I much prefer the feel the rest of the time

I thought about the larger pulley and that would be the least expensive and easiest route, just not sure I would get the difference I am looking for.

I'm not too familiar with the fast ratio boxes. Anyone have some more info on these and have one installed that can speak to the difference it makes? I guess my only other option other than that would be to switch to manual steering? I think the larger steering wheel is out. :)

Reducing pump pressure might cause it to bypass when you really need it. I would leave it as is and be happy. that overassisted feeling never felt better when you really need it.

Smaller diameter steering wheel is what I did along with rebuilding the PS pump to tighter tolerances. Next is the PS box.

So just to summarize what I can do.

1 switch to Manual steering. Makes in town and parking a PITA.

2 quick ratio steering box rebuild and a smaller steering wheel.

2 sounds like a better option to me. Maybe a little more money but hey? Anyone have any experience with the quick ratio box? Who did you use? Much difference at higher speed? (By higher speed I am referring to 50 mph and over as this is when it gets a little scary.

I started this as driving home last fall from work I lost my PS belt. I stopped as soon as I realized what had happened so I didn't overheat but that was the best steering feel I have had in this car.

Last edited by a moderator:
A fast ratio box will speed up your steering, but it will also give you a new box in good condition. Often the box has a lot of wear and adjusting it or better rebuilding it is going to make a big difference. A smaller wheel will also help a lot. I even have a smaller wheel with my manual steering-but it is fatter so I get a better grip.

http://www.powersteering.com/ was one I looked at when I considered changing to power steering at one time.

You should talk to them about your desires and expectations. IIRC there was a variable assist feature on some cars and they may be able to tell you if that can be installed on yours.

I would also ask you to check your tires, alignment, springs, shocks, control arms, idler and pitman arm, tie rod ends and ball joints if you haven't already. Overassisted steering shouldn't feel dangerous or sloppy, just numb. I would also look at the condition of the rear shocks and springs as all these components work together.

Shocks front and back are shot. I have new ones waiting to install. Rear springs look good. They are not collapsed or anything. Front springs are going to be replaced with 1" lower. Tires are all good. There is no slop in pitman arm, tie rod ends, or ball joints. I did consider welding plates on bottom on control arms. Wheel bearings also seem ok. No noise and no side to side or in out movement with pushing pulling or twisting of rotors.

Thanks for the info Jeff. It is much appreciated. Your suggestions are always straight forward and to the point. I appreciate that. I'd like to take a ride in your beast of a mustang sometime. Sounds like it is crazy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Third thumbs up for the steering wheel. I had a small grant steering wheel and the steering felt nice and stiff. Switched to an original wheel and now it feels likes can turn the wheel if I blow hard enough. The wheel alone will make a difference, in case you're going the cheaper route first.

I will prob do the wheel first so I can get this beast back on the road for summer and look at doing the box next fall/winter. BTW Big Blue your car looks great. I like the color and front and rear spoiler on the coupe look good. Give it a mean 70's muscle car look.

Back