Driver door lock

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackpotts

Reaction score
My Car
'73 Mustang Coupe, 302 4bbl
Just picked her up from the shop. No start was caused by a busted ignition/steering wheel lock. Apparently the steering column is from another Ford that had the shifter on the column - I'll post a pic of the wheel and maybe you guys can tell me what its from. The lock in it broke, and it wouldn't allow the engine to fire up.

Anyways - the driver side door does not lock by key, and the rod is disconnected and sitting in the trunk. I'm going to pull off the interior door panel tonight, but I don't really know what I am looking for. I really don't want to leave her unlocked when I park in public.

The 71-3's had a lock out rod tied to the key switch.

Part of the column moves with this and people mistake it for a column shift ring.

It was a safety devise so if the throttle stuck you could turn off the engine but not lock the steering wheel, so you could steer the car.

If the rod is missing or disconnected [ often done if the car gets towed ] it can move around by itself.

If you really had a steering column from a car with a column shift you will see where the stick was.

It is the opposite of the passenger door. Sorry I don't have pictures but I still have the scars on my knuckles from the cuts reattaching the rods.

Pull that door panel and look at the other side, it should be clear how it works. Problem might be that with a different ignition, the door lock no longer matches - do you have a key that works in the passenger side?

I figured out the lock was just jammed, and something happened to the tip of the lock rod so it won't stay in the catch. Going to pull it off tonight and see what I can do. In the meantime, everything is getting lubricated.

Sounds like the door lock rod retainer clips may be broken or missing. Once you have the door panel off, you should be able to see what the problem is. Check the bottom of the door for small pieces.

Back