Passenger Mirror Won't adjust

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackpotts

Reaction score
My Car
'73 Mustang Coupe, 302 4bbl
I can't seem to get the passenger side mirror to adjust to an angle that is in any way useful. I've flipped it every which way, but it doesn't seem to want to show me anything but two lanes over. It's a flat style, not sport, mirror.

Just an FYI. the sport mirror isn't any better. I can't see anything useful out of mine and if I do happen to get it adjusted just right to where I could get a shred of useful view out of it (which takes two people to do) I hit a bump and go right back to looking at the ground.

Some guys on here have installed convex mirror and I believe this has helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI. the sport mirror isn't any better. I can't see anything useful out of mine and if I do happen to get it adjusted just right to where I could get a shred of useful view out of it (which takes two people to do) I hit a bump and go right back to looking at the ground.

Some guys on here have installed convex mirror and I believe this has helped.
So if I'm understanding correctly, the mirror is basically for show?

It holds itself in place just fine, but I can't adjust it to a point that is useful. I'll take a picture when i leave work to show driver's view.

They are pretty useless. When mine was my daily, I'd look at it as changing lanes. If something started to appear I'd just hold straight for awhile. The offender would usually pass or make room.

When driving at night, I just looked for their headlight reflecting off the right dash pad. If it was lit up, I knew a car was in my blind spot.

The mirror size on these cars is dangerously small. You need to find a convex mirror glass for the passenger side. Unfortunately the only one I've found is for the racing style mirror, and I'm sure you don't won't to spend that kind of money for new mirrors. Since you indicated that the mirror does stay adjusted, I would check with a glass shop and see if they could cut a convex mirror glass for you. Then I would read Austin Vert's post on a adjusting stick. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-reviews-convex-passengers-mirror I have an "Austin Vert Stick" along with the stick on convex glass for the racing mirror. While not a perfect solution, I can at least see what's beside me now! ::thumb::

What are you all talking about these mirrors work fine and let you see something just before you hit it or it hits you. Yeah they are pretty much useless and the rear window on the sports roof isn't much help when backing up. The sports roof has more blind spots than any car I've ever driven that's why you need a passenger to guide you when backing in to your spot at the local cruise night or Sunday car show. I guess after owning my car for 32 years I've gotten use to it's little idiosyncrasies and love it anyway.

Definitely require a convex mirror to augment the factory mirror. Once you get comfortable with both, it is pretty straightforward IMO. I set the factory mirror and the key in on the convex mirror when changing lanes.

As luck would have it, my 429 vert once completed will not have the passenger side mirror, fortunately it is a very so this will help.

The chrome mirror is made for the drivers side

If you install it on the pass side you will not be able to get enough adjustment out of it.

There are new chrome mirrors made with more adjustment range built into them now.

They are the 67-8 long base version, the 71-3 short base is driver side only.

As for the flopping down sport mirror glass - that is a worn out swivel.

There are a couple of possible fixes for it [ do a search on here ] or if you are the only driver - silicone it in the spot you need.

The chrome mirror is made for the drivers side

If you install it on the pass side you will not be able to get enough adjustment out of it.

There are new chrome mirrors made with more adjustment range built into them now.

They are the 67-8 long base version, the 71-3 short base is driver side only.

As for the flopping down sport mirror glass - that is a worn out swivel.

There are a couple of possible fixes for it [ do a search on here ] or if you are the only driver - silicone it in the spot you need.
I think this is the case. After some lubricating and a bit of forcing, I got it into a somewhat useful position.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ok guys, for the sport mirrors, I came up with a simple, but not-so-cheap way to fix some of the rear view mirror issues. It does require losing the original glass mirrors though. What I did was to carefully measure just how much bigger I could make new mirrors and still be able to get a screw driver in to tighten the holding screw. I then cut left and right backer plates out of .060" aluminum pretty much following the original shape. I bought replacement mirrors that were just large enough to be cut to size. The right hand one being convex of course. I then took these to a glass company and they cut the glass to match my back plates. Tricky work to say the least!! I then used GOOD double sided tape to attach glass to plate and then to the original mirror base plate at a predetermined location. The result will be approximately a 1/2" wider field of view. I took a couple of pictures to give an idea what I'm trying to do. The back view shows how much bigger the backer plate is and the mirror itself shows that I cut it to include the warning. Neat eh! These have not yet been tested on the road, but I'm sure they will be somewhat better than a couple of those round stick on convex things I currently have on. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears.

Geoff.

Wait a sec... just "who" was it again picking on me last week because of my back-up camera (installed because of all the blind spots and tiny mirrors)? Something about "... you just need to learn how to drive..." or something like that. *cough* Pastel Blue *cough* :slap:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-can-t-see-out-the-rear-window-try-this?page=2 post #19

::blah::

lollerz
Man I missed that post I would have tossed a plus one on it lollerz lollerz :whistling: : :devil:: :D:D:D

Back