Moog Steering Stuff

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
In a couple of weeks I will be buying the Street or Track coil over system for my 73 Mach 1. When I do the install I want to replace all of my steering components. I will be sending my box/pump out to Power Steering Services for rebuild. Where best to buy the Moog made parts? Appreciated.

Just keep in mind that Moog parts are not what they used to be and a lot of them are made outside of the USA. If it is it will say so on the box. I'm not saying that Moog parts are bad just not the quality we remember.

Exactly what MrMach1 said. I always first try to look for made in the USA parts or NOS Moog parts. It will be well worth it if you take the extra time to look for that.

Just keep in mind that Moog parts are not what they used to be and a lot of them are made outside of the USA. If it is it will say so on the box. I'm not saying that Moog parts are bad just not the quality we remember.
Yes I have read this before but do not see a better and available alternative.

Just bought everything for the front of my 71 Vert, some from RockAuto, some from JC Whitney with a 20% off and free shipping. Had to get one spring seat from Summit, as Rock (best price) could only supply one. Didn't look at the packaging for where made, but the parts look very nice.

Everything was Moog except for the spring seats (Goodmark), cam bolts (Proforged), and the pitman arm, which was from CJ Pony.

Nice putting together new clean parts. Almost like building a Monogram model.

In this case, I go to Summit racing first. In the sixteen years I have shopped with them, I don't remember a single bad experience with them. The quality of parts I have bought are a different matter. A second source that I was surprised to find is Amazon.com. I just happened to look for a Proforged severe duty idler arm with 1,000,000 mile warranty. Yes! Million! It normally retails for $75 but I picked it up on Amazon for $25. They seem to have short sales for random items, which if you check back often works out great. Another maker of steering parts which I have been pleased with is Rare Parts (pitman arm and idler arm, before I went with Proforged) I found them at both NPD and Amazon. If needed, I can get you the Rare Parts part numbers, since they are not always searchable by vehicle.

I queried Shawn at Street or Track, where my coil over system will come from, and he advised that they use Moog and have zero issues so I will go Moog. Looks like RockAuto has the best shipped priced.

MOOG makes TWO quality levels of many parts . I would buy the higher quality level . Rock Auto has killer prices, however, they do not carry all the MOOG parts.

MOOG makes TWO quality levels of many parts . I would buy the higher quality level . Rock Auto has killer prices, however, they do not carry all the MOOG parts.
So who do you suggest I buy the "higher quality" level from?

Looked back at all the Moog stuff I just purchased and recieved in March 2016, and determined the following:

All items are from their "Problem Solver" line, and the part quality looks to be as good as or better than the non-Moog high end restoration parts I bought almost 20 years ago for my fastback.

All of the boxes are marked "Made in USA".

I purchased Moog upper and lower arms, inner and outer tie rods, and idler arm. Best pricing, with 5% off at Rock Auto and 20% off/free shipping at JCW, was as follows:

Rock, lower arm, outer tie rod

JCW, upper arm, inner tie rod, idler

These items may be from the more cost effective line made by Moog, I don't know. For a driver car that sees about 2000 miles a year, they look and fit great, and are much better than the ragged out parts that were on the car. Wish I could have had these back when I did the other car. Win for me.

Good luck on your project,

Tom

all Moog parts to front from rock auto, every part made in taiwan or china!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back