Shortcutting heater hoses

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hi,

On some engines you can see the coolant hoses that go from the engine to the heater shortcutted. (Is that even english?) They got only a small piece of hose connecting the outlet to the inlet on the engine.

Are there any downsides to doing this in general or specific for a 351C? Will it influence cooling the engine?

Thank,

Vincent.

I don't know exactly what you mean but something I see often is that they suppress the heater circuit by bypassing it. That tells me that the heater core is leaking onto the passenger floor and that the owner is too lazy or too cheap to replace it.

That shouldn't influence cooling though.

BUT: when I see it on a car that's listed for sale I'll immediately pass on it because it tells me that when the owner (or restorer) takes that shortcut there are many more hidden on the car.

I agree, the core is leaking is why it's bypassed and in general probably other things have been done the easy way out too.

I wouldn't turn one down just because of the bypass but I would price accordingly.

I don't know exactly what you mean but something I see often is that they suppress the heater circuit by bypassing it. That tells me that the heater core is leaking onto the passenger floor and that the owner is too lazy or too cheap to replace it.

That shouldn't influence cooling though.

BUT: when I see it on a car that's listed for sale I'll immediately pass on it because it tells me that when the owner (or restorer) takes that shortcut there are many more hidden on the car.

I meant bypassing indeed. My reason is mainly to make the engine bay look cleaner. I also never use the heater as I only drive during the summer. I'm also NOT about to sell my pony :)

I did the same thing on my car. I even went a step further and had the nipples machined out and tapped so I could install a plug in each one. I never drive mine in the cold so I have never needed a heater. But when I get around to putting A/C in my car I will be able to easily take out the plugs and add threaded nipples for the cooling lines. Then I will have functioning heater and AC. But for now I like the clean look.

xc62j8.jpg

Thanks for your replies all. One more question though:

Could it damage the heater core to leave it open without coolant in it?

It should be okay. I would try to use some compressed air and 'blow it out' so there is not coolant or water left. It wouldn't hurt to plug the ends.

^^Very nice indeed:)

I did the same thing on my car. I even went a step further and had the nipples machined out and tapped so I could install a plug in each one. I never drive mine in the cold so I have never needed a heater. But when I get around to putting A/C in my car I will be able to easily take out the plugs and add threaded nipples for the cooling lines. Then I will have functioning heater and AC. But for now I like the clean look.

xc62j8.jpg
I did the same thing. It certainly makes the engine bay look cleaner. I'm still in the process of coming up with new ways to make it even cleaner which cost time and money.

Therefore I wouldn't call it cheapening out on my part but I can understand how many buyers might think that about other car owners.

image.jpeg

^^Very nice indeed:)

xc62j8.jpg
I did the same thing. It certainly makes the engine bay look cleaner. I'm still in the process of coming up with new ways to make it even cleaner which cost time and money.

Therefore I wouldn't call it cheapening out on my part but I can understand how many buyers might think that about other car owners.
:D Ain't nothing cheap about what's under those hoods!!! ::thumb::

Nice looking motor!

I would fill the heater core with fresh antifreeze before capping it if it is in good condition. Corrosion typically needs oxygen and blowing it out might actually promote deterioration.
I ended up keeping the core connected and thus filled. It's not leaking and if this keeps it in good condition I'm fine with the hoses.

Back