9 Inch Rear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 H code Mach 1
Anyone off hand know the distance between spring perch's center to center on a 73 Mach. was getting ready to order new springs and i took a look under mine and noticed that the shackles are both leaning towards outside of car on both sides about an inch. wondering if rear was swapped??also have 5 leafs on mine not 4

Last edited by a moderator:
According to my reference, the spring perch center to center distance is actually the same as the '64 - '70 Mustangs - - 43".

The difference would be in the flange to flange distance which is 56" on the '71 - '73 Mustang. The '67 - '70 Mustangs have a flange to flange distance of 54 1/2" while the '65 - '66 have a flange to flange distance of 52 1/4".

Hope this helps!

BT

According to my reference, the spring perch center to center distance is actually the same as the '64 - '70 Mustangs - - 43".

The difference would be in the flange to flange distance which is 56" on the '71 - '73 Mustang. The '67 - '70 Mustangs have a flange to flange distance of 54 1/2" while the '65 - '66 have a flange to flange distance of 52 1/4".

Hope this helps!

BT
did a quick measurement and came out to roughly 45 center to center on the perch's. The main reason i am wondering is these pics drivers side passenger side leans out also
33trx1f.jpg
and this
kz4bb.jpg
both sides are laying over to the outside of car any ideas????

If the flange to flange distance is something other than 56", I would suggest that the entire rearend was possibly swapped out with something other than one from a '71 - '73 Mustang.

Hope this helps!

BT

rough measurement flange to flange is around 56" give or take a 1/2" but my measurement probably isn't right i just measured from back of axle ( end of tube )

some one could of added a extra leaf to it too...these years of stangs love to sag in the arse over time..lol...some one put old school shackles on mine to lift its arse up a bit.

some one could of added a extra leaf to it too...these years of stangs love to sag in the arse over time..lol...some one put old school shackles on mine to lift its arse up a bit.
that is possible PO also put air shocks on it, just the way the shackles are layed over really bugs me. I have been guilty of using longer shackles in my earlier years to raise one up :D

yup..the old 1980 classic air shock upgrades.. seen plenty of them on mustangs and camaro's over there years..specialy on camaro's..lol..ya i wouldnt dout if some one played with it a bit threw the years...mine has big old shackles on it..been on there sence i was a kiddy in highschool..lol...here is a pick of the rear of my car...you can see the shackle sticking out the back...still handles good though..lol

Back