C6 rpm adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang 351C C6
Ok, I have searched and cannot seem to find an answer to this. Last year my car was shifting around 5000rpm, I would like to raise this to 5800rpm. I read that either the governor needs to be adjusted (at which point I will abandon this quest as I have no desire to pull the trans again) or the modulator. Any definitive answer on this? Oh and the kick down does perform correctly.

TAI

Sorry, not last year, last time I had it on the road. Can't seem to edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on what I am doing, If I am driving aggressive I shift by hand but normally in drive. Just figured it would be nice to have it shift in drive at the rpm I have my redline set at when WOT.

Assuming it shifts properly at part throttle, which is controlled in part by the modulator, it is the calibration of the governor. The weights and springs in the governor determine the WOT shift point when letting the transmission shift itself. There is no kit that I'm aware of. The more high performance the car was from Ford, the higher the shift point. A governor from a 72-74 351c 4v/cj may raise the shift point to 5500 rpm you want. A well qualified performance transmission shop may be able to recalibrate the governor for you.

Chuck

you cannot really do anything with the governor on ford, the C6/C4/C5, there are no kits like a GM to mess with them. installing a custom governor is expensive and very rare.

Basically you are looking at the modulator to make adjustments to the shift. if you have an adjustable modulator then

Use your flat screw driver and turn it clockwise to raise the shifting points, and counterclockwise for earlier shift points.

there is no reason to start messing with a fixed modulator to change the shift, nor messing with the pin, just get a green or purple band adjustable modulator and start turning the screw in to raise the shifts.

Back