'71 Rochester Quadrajet Choke

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

Really??? $700!!! I need one of these, but I will go without before I ever pay this much for this piece and in this shape. Unbelievable...

(Hope this link works..., not very good with the computer stuff sometimes...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Choke-70-71-Ford-429-CJ-Rochester-Carburetor-Torino-Ranchero-Mustang-/401102007282?hash=item5d638aebf2:g:~tEAAOSwgApXBXSt&vxp=mtr

For some reason, I have lost the ability to edit my posts... I cant see the "edit" button at the bottom... Anyway, I was wrong, try $800...:shootself:

Last edited:
Buddy of mine has 70 Torino SCJ and found a few years back that the factory choke assemblies are pretty much non-existent. I guess that ad confirms it.

It looks very similar to the mounting of a 71-72 Chevrolet Small Block V8 divorced choke coil. 1970 is different.

You wouldn't have the lower "can" (fits into a pocket on the mani?) as the Chevy parts mounts onto a machined flat pad with a single screw and anti-rotation pin. You will also need to bend up a linkage.

If you want pics, let me know. I also drive "The Dark Side".

Tom

Tom, thanks. If you could send ma a couple pictures and possibly the GM part # would be great. I figured there would be differences, as long as I don't have to alter the original manifold, I will work with another GM part on my car ::devil::...

I have the original choke base that sits in the manifold, just missing that gold plated pull down Ford only choke piece.[/u]

Tom, thanks. If you could send ma a couple pictures and possibly the GM part # would be great. I figured there would be differences, as long as I don't have to alter the original manifold, I will work with another GM part on my car ::devil::...

I have the original choke base that sits in the manifold, just missing that gold plated pull down Ford only choke piece.[/u]
We wont tell.

We won't tell.
Guilty here too.

OK, found it was easier to get pix from the net than to try and take nice pics of my garbage. Anyway, pictures...

First are what I consider 70 and before for a V8 Chevy, I'm sure similar used on others. Pic of the parts and the coil installed without the cover. Axle of coil parallel to engine centerline. Does sit in a little pocket on the mani, looks similar to yours

Second is what I have on several 71 and later V8 Chevy cars, mounts to a flat machined pad on the intake. Axle of coil perpendicular to engine centerline. These are available from Edelbrock and from aftermarket resto supply places. Pretty common

I have run mine for thousands and thousands of miles without the covers, due to rod interference issues. The cover helps locate the rod side-to-side, and holds heat into the coil. AS I live in SoCal where its is rarely super cold, the choke coil is only needed for some initial cold starts. If your where it's colder, you may need it. Also, I have made my own linkages from the correct diameter wire rod. If you can find factory linkage rods in the junkyards (straight 6 engines usually), you can sometimes shorten and rebend them, but I have found the ends will break sometimes if bent. I believe the ends were sometimes treated from the factory.

There are many similar units for Buick, Olds and Pontiac, but I wasn't able to find any cheap ones that are repros. Maybe you can locate them somehow.

For looking at other coils similar to these I would check GM model years from 72, maybe 73, and before. Later than this GM used hot air or electric integral chokes.

Hope this helps, best regards,

Tom

OK, found it was easier to get pix from the net than to try and take nice pics of my garbage. Anyway, pictures...

First are what I consider 70 and before for a V8 Chevy, I'm sure similar used on others. Pic of the parts and the coil installed without the cover. Axle of coil parallel to engine centerline. Does sit in a little pocket on the mani, looks similar to yours

Second is what I have on several 71 and later V8 Chevy cars, mounts to a flat machined pad on the intake. Axle of coil perpendicular to engine centerline. These are available from Edelbrock and from aftermarket resto supply places. Pretty common

I have run mine for thousands and thousands of miles without the covers, due to rod interference issues. The cover helps locate the rod side-to-side, and holds heat into the coil. AS I live in SoCal where its is rarely super cold, the choke coil is only needed for some initial cold starts. If your where it's colder, you may need it. Also, I have made my own linkages from the correct diameter wire rod. If you can find factory linkage rods in the junkyards (straight 6 engines usually), you can sometimes shorten and rebend them, but I have found the ends will break sometimes if bent. I believe the ends were sometimes treated from the factory.

There are many similar units for Buick, Olds and Pontiac, but I wasn't able to find any cheap ones that are repros. Maybe you can locate them somehow.

For looking at other coils similar to these I would check GM model years from 72, maybe 73, and before. Later than this GM used hot air or electric integral chokes.

Hope this helps, best regards,

Tom
Thanks Tom, very good review. I will certainly look at these closer in the coming months. I haven't even tore the engine down yet, so it will be a while... Will look at this when I finally get the completed car/paint/body home in the next week or so. Cheers.

Took a while, but found and purchased this very nice/original and rare "divorce pull down choke" for my 429cj engine. $268 US$ delivered.

Compared to some, this was a good price. I think :-/

I have now acquired all of the missing rare pieces for my exterior engine restoration, off the top of my head they were:

Correct dated coded Rochester carb, cj divorce choke for this carb, correct date coded cj distributor, cj heat shield, correct 55 amp cj alternator.

The car upon my receiving had a holley carb, manual choke, standard ford replacement distributor, no heat shield and a 90 amp huge alternator...

It is easy to see that these pieces were simply replaced and discarded back in the day when replacement was necessary, ouch!...
You did well, congratulations.

Not that I am any expert on the subject but I have never seen any GM substitute for the factory choke coil and linkage having worked and looked any where near stock.

Took a while, but found and purchased this very nice/original and rare "divorce pull down choke" for my 429cj engine. $268 US$ delivered.

Compared to some, this was a good price. I think :-/

I have now acquired all of the missing rare pieces for my exterior engine restoration, off the top of my head they were:

Correct dated coded Rochester carb, cj divorce choke for this carb, correct date coded cj distributor, cj heat shield, correct 55 amp cj alternator.

The car upon my receiving had a holley carb, manual choke, standard ford replacement distributor, no heat shield and a 90 amp huge alternator...

It is easy to see that these pieces were simply replaced and discarded back in the day when replacement was necessary, ouch!...
You did well, congratulations.

Not that I am any expert on the subject but I have never seen any GM substitute for the factory choke coil and linkage having worked and looked any where near stock.

Thanks... I did look at the alternatives and agree that although I may have been able to jerry-rig an alternate GM piece in place of the original; it would not be quite right...

Persistence in one's search and I guess $$$ is the key to obtaining those rare missing pieces when doing a restoration. I can only imagine trying to restore a Boss 9 and having to acquire similar discarded items... I didn't do too bad, only the carb was ridiculously priced... But again, in comparison to say a B351 original, mine was about 40% of that cost... QJ carbs have increased in price by 300-400% since the late 90's based on my experience...

Back