Moldings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
64.5 Mustang Coupe
65 Mustang Coupe
68 Shelby GT500KR
70 Boss 429
71 Mach 1
86 Mustang GT
91 Saleen Convert
03 Cobra Convert
07 GT500
My 71 Mach 1 had the 10 chrome moldings separating the black lower body paint, and the body color. My car was a "no side stripes" car from the factory. I have seen pictures of cars with and without these moldings, are these a 71 only deal? I would prefer to restore the car without them, as most of them ate missing. Would the car be correct looking deleting them, and adding the stripes?

Are you talking about the thin moulding above the rocker panel?

My 73 convertible has one at the bodyline between the front and rear wheels.

Pretty sure it was an option. That is how mine came, chrome with no stripes, but is now painted on stripes and no chrome. If you are not going for a concourse job, build it how you want it.

It was standard on 71 and 72 mach 1 if the side stripe was not ordered, and came on 73 coupe and convertible models when the decor group was ordered without the 71-72 mach 1 stripes.

It was standard on 71 and 72 mach 1 if the side stripe was not ordered, and came on 73 coupe and convertible models when the decor group was ordered without the 71-72 mach 1 stripes.
I agree. The Decor Group reproduction moldings became available in 2010 as a set. I bought a set for my 73 Convert as my door molding was bent pretty bad and could not find a decent replacement so I ordered the whole set. The look and fit great, except for the first piece on each side at the front bumper. It appears those two pieces were made with a lip to go into the crack where the front valance meets the fender under the side markers. On my 73 convert the originals was lower and bolted through the side of the front valance. Maybe the Mach 1's were different for this piece. I polished up my originals to use with the rest of the new set.

Personally I like the Decor moldings because I grew up in the "Chrome Age", but that's what's great about Mustangs, make it look the way you like it best.

DSCF8166.jpg

Thank you all for the replies.

Sounds like the cars that didn't get stripes got the moldings, and later, owners of some of those cars added stripes? That would explain the cars I have seen that had both.

Just to be clear, if I understand this correctly then, from the factory the cars were built either with stripes, and no moldings, or moldings and no stripes.

Thanks, looks like I found a great place for info on these cars.

Sounds like the cars that didn't get stripes got the moldings, and later, owners of some of those cars added stripes? That would explain the cars I have seen that had both.

Just to be clear, if I understand this correctly then, from the factory the cars were built either with stripes, and no moldings, or moldings and no stripes.
My 71 & 72 both were no stripe from the factory and neither had the decor group. I'm almost positive that the chrome pieces were part of the decor group and only came on cars with the decor group irregardless of stripes or no stripes. The 72 accessories pamphlet that some one posted on here shows what's all included in the decor group & if i recall correctly it lists the lower chrome pieces.

BTW, welcome from Mobile! This is a great site! Be sure to pin your location on our member map.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 71 & 72 both were no stripe from the factory and neither had the decor group. I'm almost positive that the chrome pieces were part of the decor group and only came on cars with the decor group irregardless of stripes or no stripes. The 72 accessories pamphlet that some one posted on here shows what's all included in the decor group & if i recall correctly it lists the lower chrome pieces.
My 71 Mach1 has no stripe or decor group according to Marti, yet it has the chrome moldings.

Text copied from the "429mustangcougarinfo" site:

Lower Stripe/Molding

If you ordered your Mach 1 without the "hockey stick" side stripes, your car came with the chrome molding shown at left. Mach 1s equipped with the hockey stick side stripes had a black stripe above the lower blackout as shown at right.

BTW, welcome from Mobile! This is a great site! Be sure to pin your location on our member map.
The Mach 1 did not get the exterior decor group it was not available. If your cars did not have stripes and were Mach 1's they would of had the chrome strips. It says in the illustrated facts manual for standard features on the Mach 1 Quote "Bright lower body side moulding with lower panel below moulding painted black or argent" The 71-72 decor group only consisted of interior(deluxe dash, rear ashtray, dual racing mirrors and cloth insert seats. Exterior wheel lip and rocker mouldings) I used to own a 71 decor group standard fastback and it had (mostly) original paint. It did not have the mouldings on the body line. I hope this helps to staighten out the confusion.

The Mach 1 did not get the exterior decor group it was not available. If your cars did not have stripes and were Mach 1's they would of had the chrome strips. It says in the illustrated facts manual for standard features on the Mach 1 Quote "Bright lower body side moulding with lower panel below moulding painted black or argent" The 71-72 decor group only consisted of interior(deluxe dash, rear ashtray, dual racing mirrors and cloth insert seats. Exterior wheel lip and rocker mouldings) I used to own a 71 decor group standard fastback and it had (mostly) original paint. It did not have the mouldings on the body line. I hope this helps to staighten out the confusion.
Thanks. I think I'll do away with my moldings, and go with the full stripe package.

Thanks. I think I'll do away with my moldings, and go with the full stripe package.
I'm not going to go with stripes on my 71. I'm interested in buying if you want to sell them. Shoot me a PM if so. Thanks, Don

I have a 71 M code Mach 1 with stripes, blacked out hood, lower moldings and 90 + % original paint.

Also have a 72 Q code mach 1 with stripes and lower moldings, it's an original paint car.

I have seen many 71's with the moldings, fewer 72's and even less 73's.

Don

My red car with factory paint had no molding but had stripes. Yellow Q-code had stripes plus the moldings. I removed them from the yellow car when I painted it.

I have nine pieces from the original set (one was missing when I got the car). If anyone is interested in buying the remainder of the set or individual pieces shoot me a PM.

~Jim

To confuse things more:

When these cars were new, it was common for dealers to add stripes, spoilers, vinal roofs etc, (almost) what ever the customer wanted, so the cars would sell.

The Marti only reflects what came from the factory, not what was added by the dealer. So some cars could have moldings and stripes that were added by a dealer.

To confuse things more:

When these cars were new, it was common for dealers to add stripes, spoilers, vinal roofs etc, (almost) what ever the customer wanted, so the cars would sell.

The Marti only reflects what came from the factory, not what was added by the dealer. So some cars could have moldings and stripes that were added by a dealer.
100% correct.

The side stripe was on every Dealer's shelf. If it would sell a non-stripe Mach, it would be put on - "correctness" be damned!

The lower body moldings were standard equipment on all 71-72 Mach 1s. when you checked the side stripe option, it deleted the moldings.

Back