Proper fluid for 1971 power steering pump

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
Last year I replaced my power steering pump with a rebuilt one from Autozone, all was well for a while but now this one is starting to make a similar whining noise as the one I replaced. The belt is new and tight, plus the fluid level is full.

I may have messed up because I put power steering fluid in the replacement one, but I was reading on another thread someone said transmission fluid should be used instead?

Power Steering Pump.JPG

I have a newer style pump on mine because I went with a fuel injected 5.0, dont feel bad mine whines too and isnt very old haha

I always use type F. It will whine just a little when turning the wheel when idling. That's normal, but if I was to use off the shelf PS fluid, it will whine a bit more.

Jim, if your running the original PS pump, then as Don said, run type F fluid. Ford actually has a part number for a 12oz long neck plastic bottle of PS fluid. But it was more of a matter of convenience since it was still just F fluid in resealable easy to pour bottle. Look for requirement ESW-M2C33-F on the pump dip stick as that is the requirement for F fluid. The PS pump whine is just about standard on these style pumps as most of my vehicles that had PS had the "Whine"! :)

Note: this picture is from Australia, where fluid containers are stored upside down.

No PS pump whine here, due to not having PS. heh It's fun wrestling a 429 c.i. bear at slow speeds, builds character.

Back