Just got my mach 1 going again so thought I'd join up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceberg65

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang Mach 1
351c 4v auto
Well I got my Mustang running today; it's been sitting for 9 years needing a motor and I finally got around to it.

This will be a long time work in progress; needs rust repair, body work and interior work; but I've had this car since I was 16 and I dont plan on letting it go!

Dropped in the new 4v cleveland mated to a c6 auto and a little green stall converter. Has a pretty hefty Erson cam that I cant seem to identify yet, have a picture of its stampings but i cant find references that match up. a holly 750dp and Edlebrock torker intake manifold. Headers are Hooker long tubes with 3" collectors; will run full dual 3" exhaust through dual Hooker Maxflow mufflers.

Oh it's got something of a mean sound to it too; doesnt seem to make much vacuum at all

(click for video of idle and a throttle blip)

Thanks for the welcome everyone! quite a few guys from across the pond I see!

I dont intend to keep it orange; original color was bright red so I will probably go with that; red is my color too. I have played with the idea of a black car with the mach 1 decals in red; I know none came like that but I think it would look cool and unique. But that is some time down the road as I want to fix the floor and trunk first (some great info on that here by the way).

The back bumper is also a resprayed chrome one thin lizzy. I do perfer the painted look but if if the chrome is in pretty good shape underneath I may have to polish it up.

looks like my video didnt embed in the first post

http://vid237.photobucket.com/albums/ff319/iceberg65/20160407_134341_zpsjhijrd4g.mp4

Welcome from Oklahoma.

btw Bright Red (2B for '72) tends to fade over time to a very orange-looking tint. Your car looks to be original paint or similar in color to it - except for that front DS fender.

Ray

Wow people from all over active here thats great!

Welcome from Oklahoma.

btw Bright Red (2B for '72) tends to fade over time to a very orange-looking tint. Your car looks to be original paint or similar in color to it - except for that front DS fender.

Ray

Yes my car was a bright red one; I do not however think that its the original paint (and yea I do still like to think its still red haha) Theres evidence of significant bondo use in some cracking in the upper rear quarter panels and on the hood where it got dinged near the fender that was replaced. (got the car with a smashed in fender; hence the one fender in primer).

The drivers side floor definatley needs to be replaced but the passenger side looks reasonable good from underneath so far (still could have ugly surprises though). The trunk is quite rusty as well; but a lot of the underside did have a healthy layer of undercoating that looks to reveal clean metal in most spots that I've peeled some away. I blame the floor rust primarily on the sunroof that someone put in there leaking water.

Here is the stamps on the cam in the engine from when it was put together; anyone that may know something about it please chime in. I've looked at an Erson catalog and couldn't seem to match anything up.

Door code is as follows for the car:

body: 63R

color: 2B

trim: GE

Trans: U

axle: 9

DSO: B7

I was under the impression that it should have a 9" rear end in it; but upon inspection I was disappointed to find an 8" under there, and it certainly still has quite high gearing.

forgot to include the cam pic, and I dont see an edit option :s

Last edited by a moderator:
Back