Air Cleaner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
I'll post pics when it's all done, but I'm in the process of swapping a 2bbl for a new intake and Holly 4bbl.

I'm thinking about changing the stock air cleaner for something else. So I'm looking for opinions.

I could go round or oval. I like the oval and would go with a smaller 13-14" inch over as it's only 1 4bbl.

Just a few examples. Your thoughts?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M9600A302+01

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-X-2-Oval-Elite-Style-Aluminum-Air-Cleaner-Finned-Satin-Top-Hot-Rat-Rod-/261986364416?fits=Year%3A1973%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item3cff9aac00:g:va8AAOSwPcVVur8C&vxp=mtr

Last year I put an open top element filter on mine. Its a K&N knock off but its pretty nice. I washed it this year and re-oiled it with K&N filter oil.

2dqr82.jpg

Last year I put an open top element filter on mine. Its a K&N knock off but its pretty nice. I washed it this year and re-oiled it with K&N filter oil.

2dqr82.jpg
Do you believe since it's open on top and getting more air, it's helping with power?

2dqr82.jpg
Do you believe since it's open on top and getting more air, it's helping with power?
Im sure that the open top element provides more airflow. Whether or not your motor makes more power from it or not , im not sure. If your running a small 600cfm carb on a mild motor I doubt you would notice or see a difference. If your running high Hp motor with a 1000cfm carb you may free up a couple more HP with the less restrictive air filter.

My motor is pushing 600hp and im running a 900 cfm quick fuel carb. I cant tell if it helped my motor or not?? But it sure looks cool! :cool:

2dqr82.jpg
Im sure that the open top element provides more airflow. Whether or not your motor makes more power from it or not , im not sure. If your running a small 600cfm carb on a mild motor I doubt you would notice or see a difference. If your running high Hp motor with a 1000cfm carb you may free up a couple more HP with the less restrictive air filter.

My motor is pushing 600hp and im running a 900 cfm quick fuel carb. I cant tell if it helped my motor or not?? But it sure looks cool! :cool:
I had a K&N on my 03 GT Vert. I really didn't think of it as more HP, but just me being lazy as it went as per K&N over 50,000 miles before being cleaned and reoiled.

What I'm really looking for is coolness to show off the new intake and carb. The OEM blue air cleaner would just cover the whole thing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone using an oval air cleaner?
I have an oval on one of my Mach 1's and I will be removing it soon. I am working on getting my engine bay back to original pieces. Fortunately the original owner saved all of them. If you are interested in something like this I would give you a good deal on it. PM me if interested.

11957cy.jpg

I have a situation that I'm sure isn't a big deal but...Guessing that some of this is the 73 emissions BS.

If I swap for an after market air filter what happens and what do I do with the hook ups from the OEM air filter?

1) picture 1- The flex hose from the air cleaner to the cannister.

2) picture 2 -The intake hose from the air cleaner to whatever that's connected to and the silver flex hose below it

Do I just plugged them up and what can I use to do it?

Thanks

zpfile000.jpg

zpfile001.jpg

Oval air filter is on....I like the way it looks.

Now, I noticed a tube/hose back left valve cover that went to the old air cleaner.

Could I just get a breather cap and if so,,,is it screw in, push in or twist?

Plus I tore the flex hose from the canister (duct tape on it now)....What's the exact name as I need to get a new one?

Thanks

IMAG0278.jpg

Oval air filter is on....I like the way it looks.

Now, I noticed a tube/hose back left valve cover that went to the old air cleaner.

Could I just get a breather cap and if so,,,is it screw in, push in or twist?

Plus I tore the flex hose from the canister (duct tape on it now)....What's the exact name as I need to get a new one?

Thanks
Found the canister tube on Mustang Unlimited.

Still need to know about the breather cap.

Thanks

Although it probably sucks for air flow, but.....

Not so cheap Cal Custom item.

s-l1600.jpg

I have a situation that I'm sure isn't a big deal but...Guessing that some of this is the 73 emissions BS.

If I swap for an after market air filter what happens and what do I do with the hook ups from the OEM air filter?

1) picture 1- The flex hose from the air cleaner to the cannister.

2) picture 2 -The intake hose from the air cleaner to whatever that's connected to and the silver flex hose below it

Do I just plugged them up and what can I use to do it?

Thanks
The fresh air snorkel and the heat tube (#2) will probably have to be deleted. The flex hose #1, you could make a right angle fitting. Check Home Depot plastic plumbing parts, right angle with pipe thread on one side to go thru aircleaner base plate, but this would be unfiltered air in most cases as the filters are usually as big as the base plate.
I had a rectangular K&N years ago that was about 1.5" tall. One of the accessories was a plate with a tube sticking off of it at 90*. The plate was held in place by the top and bottom plates and the tube pointed straight at the filter. This meant that whatever hose was attached fed into the filter, not behind it. A similar item could be made to attach to a regular round aftermarket filter with top and bottom bases.

My aftermarket air cleaner has the provision to connect one emission tube to the bottom of it. I got a brass "T" from the hardware store and connected the canister vent tube and the crankcase fresh air tube (from the top of the valve cover) to the base of the air cleaner. Yes, you can get a breather cap to replace the crankcase vent tube. With your style of valve cover it's likely a push in style. I would replace the grommet at the same time. Make sure the vent cap has a filter in it so your PCV system doesn't draw unfiltered air into the crankcase.

Back