Gas Cap Cable

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carguy4sp

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang
Hey guys anyone have a source or a parts list to make a cable for the gas cap on my 1972 Q code convertible ?

Thanks

Rodney from SW Florida

Do you mean like a anti-theft cable so it wont turn at all, or a cable that attachs cap to the body so it comes off but hangs by the cable and harder to steal? Either way I want to do the same.

Rodney, Those cables were a factory item when the Mustang was new and "Collectibles" like the running horse fuel cap were a prize among the "Midnight Supply" people. In fact my 67 had the cable. Not sure how hard it would be to find the hardware to attach a cable to your cap and car body with out damaging either and still look good. The cable on my Dad's 66 Mustang was a high strength hard to cut cable and plastic coated so as not to scratch anything, so that's another thing to consider.

Don't know how much you wanted to spend, but I would look at Don's (Ohio Mustang Supply) site. He has a listing for the security cap for a 71-73 and is also a forum member and Vender and will make sure your taken care of. http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2051

Good luck on your project! :)

My cap is in good shape and it does not make sense to purchase a new cap just for the cable. I would however like to know the length so I can make my own. Just do not want to leave behind after fill up.

Thanks

Rodney from SW Florida

You need to make sure your cap has the loop for the cable and that your filler flange has the screw with the loop. Then get a foot of stainless steel cable from the hardware store and a crimp connector. Cut the cable to the approximate size shown in the link below. For double peace of mind I would also solder the connection with silver solder (not next to the open filler, though).

http://images.cjponyparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/c/gc713c_4.424.jpg

Back