Front Hub Separaton

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Has anyone ever successfully removed the hub from the front drums of a 71? I have sold my spindles and hubs and need to remove the drums from the hub.

Any suggestions? My 5lb hammer seems to make no impact. Do you use heat? Will a propane torch give enough, or do I need acetylene?

Should I knock all the wheel studs out first, or does that matter?

Thanks for the help!

kcmash:huh:

Knock the studs out first, they have a shoulder that helps support the drum and keep it attached to the hub, then the hub should come out fairly easily.

Easiest if you have a hydraulic or arbor press.

Need to press one stud at time using good support on the under side. Just trying to knock things apart will most likely crack the drum around the studs. Its thin casting in that area. Try using a socket big enough for stud to drop into

Thanks for the replies! I do not have access to a press. Seems like 30 years ago I just pounded the studs out.

I'll see if I can come up with something. The underside support may be the ticket for me to take the spring out of the drum.

I use a deep socket under the flat of the stud from below.. Support it so it sits on a solid surface.. Get creative.. I also run a lug nut onto the stud and leave it flush with the threaded end so as not to damage the threads and allow for even impact on the stud while hammering it out. You can have all the studs out in about 5 minutes, free of charge.

Thanks gang! The hubs are free now.

kcmash

Back