Seat foam quality

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carguy4sp

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang
Guys, my 1972 Q code convertible has 2 year old seat covers and they were installed over the old foam. The sides of the backs are starting to rub thru the vinyl. I think there is no padding on the sides just the vinyl and the seat frame. So I plan on installing new seat foam and to repad the sides because it looks like the seat foam does not cover the sides. Any recommendations as to seat foam brand?

What kind of padding material for the seat frame sides?

Any tips for removing the seat covers without destroying them?

Thanks for helping

Rodney from SW Florida

I'm also looking into this and found Mustang Market for $90 each front seat and ACI Premium for $149 each seat. I found the description for Mustang Market interesting as pictured below. I have no experience to offer other than this.

image.png

on top of the foam seat backs there is additional Muslin fabric that is glued to the foam sides and wraps around the frame, then a layer of jutting strips goes on top.

that gives the vinyl additional padding against rubbing the foam or the seat frames.

none of this is reproduced so you have to reproduce it from the old seats and make patterns. if your seats were redone before you then all those patterns could of already been lost.

i got lucky my seats were recovered but they left the original falling apart Vinyl underneath so when i pulled the original covers i still had factory upholstery underneath to make patterns from it was all disintegrated so it took a lot of effort to make the patterns, buy the materials and get the new seat covers and hardware.

i think i used TMI it has been like 11 years ago.

if you heat the covers in the sun it will soften the material.. otherwise you have to slowly work it back off the seats and remove all the hog rings that secure it to the frame. there are suppose to be internal wires in pockets in the seat fabric that the hog rings attach to, many el cheap upholsterers don't put any of that stuff in so you won't know how bad the covers are until you take it all apart.

Went through this a few years ago. Ordered new foam and covers from Don of OMS.

Save the wires like 72HCODE said, you will need them. And yes, it helps if you warm

the covers. The new foam is thicker and denser. On the advice of a friend who

restores old Mustangs, Cal said to keep a good bottle of whiskey on hand 'cause

your going to need it.

mike

I did the TMI and thought it just so so. It didnt have the reinforced mesh at the top like the oem and it also tore easy. Dont know how it will hold up under use.Like most repro stuff it's just not the quality as OEM.

I did the TMI and thought it just so so. It didnt have the reinforced mesh at the top like the oem and it also tore easy. Dont know how it will hold up under use.Like most repro stuff it's just not the quality as OEM.
The TMI foam I purchased was the deluxe version and it did have the reinforced mesh to help prevent spring penetration. It was also a more dense foam which made installation a bit more difficult but with a little coaxing and swearing and lots of hog rings it got done. I'm a Bourbon drinker and with a little help from my good friend Jack for support I'm happy with the results. P.S use good quality burlap. it's very important.

So TMI has two levels of seat foam quality?

no i think it was the year of manufacture, 11 years ago i bought the foam and it did not have the mesh,, i recreated the factory mesh from burlap and piano wire from my old seats and transferred the new ones during rebuild. the newest foam replacements have the mesh built in from what i have seen. so it was a revision in manufacture at some point. but you should inspect the foam when you buy it somebody could have old stock.

So TMI has two levels of seat foam quality?
I'm pretty sure TMI has their standard foam and a premium version with the listing wires molded in.

Each company makes some years / models foam better than others

ACI is suppose to be the oldest / best - they are the most expensive

The TMI foam I purchased was the deluxe version and it did have the reinforced mesh to help prevent spring penetration. It was also a more dense foam which made installation a bit more difficult but with a little coaxing and swearing and lots of hog rings it got done. I'm a Bourbon drinker and with a little help from my good friend Jack for support I'm happy with the results. P.S use good quality burlap. it's very important.
I got the premium version with the listing wires molded in. I had the reinforcement in the seat part but the headrest part didn't have it like the original.

Yes I received one quote for the premium one with listing wires for $159.00 plus $25 shipping but the standard one would not be much better than what I have. I guess the wires are important to pull down the seams into the foam to give the seat definition's. CJ Pony parts part number SF 36

I am trying to gather material needed to recreate the side support. I am thinking of using spray adhesive and dense 1/2 inch carpet padding. What does everyone think ?

Rodney from SW Florida

Back