How difficult is it to re-upholster the front buckets?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strac

Reaction score
My Car
72-Mustang
2001-Tundra
I just finished the Dash Pad replacement and I guess all that squirming around (nothing to do with 40 year old Vinyl :) the front buckets are showing cracks. No doubt they will self destruct very soon. I see replacement upholstery at a few vendors and the question is, "how hard is it to perform the replacement"? :huh:

Mustang_Seat.jpg

I don't think it would be too difficult as the seats are pretty simple in design. I can't say for certain though, I've never attempted the job!

I did this job in my car.. It is not too difficult once you do the first one BUT i would´t change the original upholstery just because of what you are showing in the picture.... Remember you´re buying reproductions made who knows where of your vynil... I don´t think you can match the factory smoothness.. i certainly couldn´t in mine and i´m a very handy man to do this kind of first time jobs...

If you´re doing it anyway, look for tweaks on the internet... there are several procedures to do it the best way it can be done...

Hope it helps! ;)

i have done a 67 mustang and i did my 71 mustang not to hard it is harder to get the old ones off then to put on the new ones ,,,make sure to buy the tool and lots of hog rings,,(i have the tool and lots of hog rings you pay shipping i will send them to you)

I'm pretty good with a wrench and screw driver, but this upholstery stuff has me a bit turned off. I guess I will wait till I'm sitting on the floor, then take it on. ;) It is really only the driver's side with an issue anyway.

How hard is it?

We recently replaced the entire interior of my '71 Grande (deluxe version) and I can say the seats were the most difficult. We also replaced the cushions and the new cushions are more dense and somewhat thicker than the originals. If you don't do the cushions it will probably be much easier to install the covers, but then you have old cushions. A friend that restores '69-'70 Mustangs for a hobby told me to keep a bottle of Old Crow nearby, "cause your going to need it". Document what you remove as these seat covers are full of wires and springs, it is what the hog rings attach to. After installing the new cushions, as I would, place the chair in the sun to warm the vinyl, makes it easier to pull over the cushion and have your hog rings handy. Keep the old covers if they are any decent shape. Only the driver's seat had a bad cover but we replaced the whole system and kept the passenger and rear seat covers. These are Lambeth cloth seats they don't make anymore and the rear seat looks like was never used. Could be useful if you or someone was doing a Concours restoration.

mike

I just finished the Dash Pad replacement and I guess all that squirming around (nothing to do with 40 year old Vinyl :) the front buckets are showing cracks. No doubt they will self destruct very soon. I see replacement upholstery at a few vendors and the question is, "how hard is it to perform the replacement"? :huh:

i did all 3 seats in my car total rebuild, took all 3 seats down to springs, replaced springs, needed to weld some cracks in the frames, then

new burlap, support rods, new foam, new covers, new badges, new chrome handles, new latch, new hinge hardware, replaced the seat backs plastic.

took me 2 full weekends the rear seat was 2 pieces and took 2 days and each front seat took me one day.

i had never done anything like it before, i did a second set of seats for a friend and got it down to one day.

i did all 3 seats in my car total rebuild, took all 3 seats down to springs, replaced springs, needed to weld some cracks in the frames, then

new burlap, support rods, new foam, new covers, new badges, new chrome handles, new latch, new hinge hardware, replaced the seat backs plastic.

took me 2 full weekends the rear seat was 2 pieces and took 2 days and each front seat took me one day.

i had never done anything like it before, i did a second set of seats for a friend and got it down to one day.
This is it... first you need time and experience.. It´s not that hard to do but it definitely has some tricks to get the upholstery exactly as sharp as new...

I did my 2 front buckets with NPD repro standard upholstery, did not change the cussions (BIG mistake)

The first one is still not too good... Everybody tells me they are perfect but i can tell the problems and the mistakes i´ve made...

Looking at the picture he published, that old seat looks better than my reupholstered one to my eye... I also have the 1970 coupé with his original upholstery that, besides one or 2 small cracks (same as you have) seats are perfect and i wouldn´t touch it in a millon years...

Sounds like to need to practice on someone else's car first, then do yours! rofl

I did my 73s seats last winter, was a pain to get them as I wanted, the wires that are embedded in the foam were hard to get the new covers fastened to with the rings so that the seat covers would be flat and smooth like I wanted. The backs of the front seats were the worst and the rear seat was the easiest. Mine look pretty good but I had to do one then take it all apart and redo it to get it to my specs. Take your time and take alot of pictures as you tear the old ones off, take note as to where and how all the hogrings are attached especially those that are attached to the wires embedded in the foam. It is very important that you get these right, having the covers nice and warm helps alot as well... And TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!

WOW! driving 100mph is NOT as scary as taking the seats apart. I guess I will wait till it is absolutely necessary. Thanks everyone, for the advice.

its really not that bad.

last year i took the tops of both my front seats apart to install the correct seat badges, it only took me an hour per seat to make the change and put them back together with new hog rings.

the trick is get a High Quality Hog ring Plyer.

Back