73 Emissions removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Sorry to create another thread, but I added an addendum to my other thread, but no responses.

Looking to swap out the OEM air cleaner for an aftermarket.

I do have two things that are concerning regarding the removal and how would it effect the performance of the car and what do I do to plug the openings up.

1) The OEM air filter has a silver flex tube that connects to the exhaust manifold.

2) Plus a black crinkle tube on the side that connects to the canister.

Wondering if the performance would be effected and

What to use to plug the exhaust manifold opening. The canister opening

is small and I'm sure I could find a cork that would fit.

Yeah, I know...headers would solve the exhaust manifold and that's future project.

Looking for options.

Thanks

zpfile001.jpg

zpfile000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The ex manifold one can just be removed

The one on the charcoal canister should be reconnected as it pulls fuel vapors into the carb

The performance will not be worse ad will typically be somewhat better.

There is also a vent tube that goes from the gas tank to the engine that must remain open if you do not have a vented gas cap . I think one went to the air cleaner but someone else will know . I can't find the diagram right now.

If you want to try and increase perf, I would also run a singe vacuum advance can if you have the dual one and set the timing curve so it is optimal for your particular setup.

If you are close to seal level, you might need to go up one or two sizes on the main jet . These cars were jetted on the lean side from the factory anyway . You can in fact drill the Ford jets to a larger size if you have a number drill set or buy the number drill you need.

Don't put a cork in the canister, there's a vent hose that runs from the fuel tank to the canister and if you have an original (or original style) gas cap that is the only vent. Most aftermarket air cleaners have the provision for connecting the vent hose from the canister to the air cleaner base. The vent from the top of the valve cover also needs to be connected.

Don't put a cork in the canister, their's a vent hose that runs from the fuel tank to the canister and if you have an original (or original style) gas cap that is the only vent. Most aftermarket air cleaners have the provision for connecting the vent hose from the canister to the air cleaner base. The vent from the top of the valve cover also needs to be connected.
Here's a pic of the gas cap and it's not aftermarket. Non-cable and I'm sure it's from what the car was restored back in 1990.

As far as the carb, I'm now running a Holly 4bbl 600 CFM. Doubt there's a hook up for a vent with this air cleaner.

IMAG0203.jpg

Here's the aftermarket air filter I'm looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Oval-Polished-Alumunim-Ball-Milled-Air-Cleaner-W-Washable-Filter-SBC-Ford-/401106327519?hash=item5d63ccd7df:g:p1wAAOSwRLZT2uIM&vxp=mtr

The PVC vent on top of the valve cover is connected to the new intake manifold and I would leave that.

You can just buy a vented cap and plug all the lines from the tank.

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/FuelSystems/gas_caps.htm

You can but universal plastic male hose fittings that bolt to the bottom of that air cleaner if you want to keep the stock evap system . All auto parts stores carry them.

You can but universal plastic male hose fittings that bolt to the bottom of that air cleaner if you want to keep the stock evap system . All auto parts stores carry them.
Any way of knowing if my gas cap is vented since it does look like the one in the link?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After checking I did find some round air cleaners that does have the adapter for the canister.

ie: http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-X-3-ROUND-CHROME-WASHABLE-AIR-CLEANER-FLAT-BASE-EXTREME-FORD-CHEVY-SBC-350-/140971269086?hash=item20d28adbde:g:f7AAAMXQAF5RiCRY&vxp=mtr

The one on the charcoal canister should be reconnected as it pulls fuel vapors into the carb
Is there something I can use to plug the hole in the exhaust manifold. Would hate to leave a 2" opening, especially if something falls into it.

Thanks

Any way of knowing if my gas cap is vented since it does look like the one in the link?
if i remember correctly, there will be a small hole in the center on the inside and it may have a spring loaded plate covering the hole . there is no hole in a non vented original.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After checking I did find some round air cleaners that does have the adapter for the canister.

ie: http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-X-3-ROUND-CHROME-WASHABLE-AIR-CLEANER-FLAT-BASE-EXTREME-FORD-CHEVY-SBC-350-/140971269086?hash=item20d28adbde:g:f7AAAMXQAF5RiCRY&vxp=mtr

Is there something I can use to plug the hole in the exhaust manifold. Would hate to leave a 2" opening, especially if something falls into it.

Thanks
The riser from the exhaust manifold is not open to the exhaust. There is just a bracket the connects the riser tube to the air cleaner. The idea is that it brings in warm air from around the manifold during warm up. Nothing is going to fall into anything.

What ever style you choose for new air cleaner can easily be modified to accept a connection for the charcoal canister. Use a step drill to get the correct size hole for an aftermarket plastic connector. I have one of the round air cleaners on my 69 restomod. I fabricated a 90 deg connector with a combination of threaded and soldered 1/2" copper fittings that works perfect -- and it won't break.

if it was me,,,, keep the OEM air cleaner base and install a K&N filter and be done.

or get a 71-72 V4 version with an Aux port that comes on when you floor it.

Not trying to steal anybody's thunder, but anybody know of any vented caps that will fit inside of the '71 flip-open caps?

My oval shaped after market cleaner from CJPONY PARTS came with a right angle adapter that could me mounted to bottom plate of air cleaner to make that connection for flex hose to cannister. Only down side was

the bottom metal plate was not pre-drilled for it. So I had to drill three holes (one large and 2 small for bolts that mount it).

My oval shaped after market cleaner from CJPONY PARTS came with a right angle adapter that could me mounted to bottom plate of air cleaner to make that connection for flex hose to cannister. Only down side was

the bottom metal plate was not pre-drilled for it. So I had to drill three holes (one large and 2 small for bolts that mount it).
Did it come with the bracket to mount the canister hose to the air filter?

(Even though you had to drill the holes).

There should be a hose coming off both valve covers. One connects to the PCV valve and should run from the PCV valve to the carburetor base. The PCV valve is typically in the driver's side valve cover. The other one supplies fresh (and filtered) air to the crankcase and usually runs from the air cleaner to the passenger's side valve cover.

I can grab some pics of mine tomorrow at lunch where all the hoses go. It is a stock 351c H. I believe Don C is correct about the routing though. Pics might be helpful so I will grab them tomorrow.

Did it come with the bracket to mount the canister hose to the air filter?

(Even though you had to drill the holes).
Yes, it did. Comes with right angle cast aluminum adapter. My complaint is that adapter was a bit too large in diameter to slide aluminum tubing over it, i had to put a slit in the tubing. Here it is. I got it because it matched my 351C labeled valve covers.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-air-cleaner-aluminum-oval-with-mustang-script-4v-v8-1964-1973/p/AC6/

In all fairness, I believe the right angle connector that came with mine is the size for valve cover breather hose, vs. using it as I did for charcoal canister.

Back