We'll laugh about this later- but right now I'm crying!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Father /Son resto-mod project
1 year in:
351 Cleveland- modified
Maier suspension
Tremec 5 speed

The culmination of three years of rest-modding the pony was to come to an end yesterday as we picked up the car for the paint shop. Replace the wheel opening molding and we were calling it good. That was the plan. The plan before I backed the car out of the shop and right into a fifth wheel trailer, catching the corner of the top and part of the top frame. OMG. A dentists drill was a lullaby compared to the grinding, aluminum cracking sound emanating from over my left shoulder. A salty sailor wold have been wide eyed at the torrent of frustration that left my lips. Done- we were done! Arghhhhh!

So, the good news is that the frame is still functional, and there was no sheet metal damage. The car looks great with the Boss inspired hood paint scheme (pix coming after my hands stop shaking LOL).

If there is anyone out there with a convertible top frame they are looking to get rid of or part out , let me know! I'm calling the shop now to have them order a new top....

Butch

Ouch. That sucks. Sorry. I know how you feel. When I was restoring a 63 Triumph several years back I had picked it from just having all the body work and paint done and was taking it for a quick test drive and the brakes gave out (popped a wheel cylinder) as I was coming to a stop sign and tagged the back of a trailer the guy in front of me was towing. Back to the shop to have them fix and reshoot the bonnet.

It really sucks buddy. Sorry to hear that. At least it's only going to hurt your wallet and nobody got hurt. You'll have it cruising soon.

I have several top frames

Let me know what parts you need

Sorry to hear that happened. My head would have spun in circles and then exploded. For what it is worth a cursed out loud when I read the original post. Hang in there. Chuck

Oh the pain of it I am sure. We all have our dreaded first scratch or dent stories. Mine was the day after I drove the car the first time with the new paint job. Went to see a friend at the grocery store he worked at and you know where the story goes from here. Pulled into the parking lot that was a downgrade to the sight of an unmanned grocery cart heading right at me. Bounced of the front passenger side fender just before the front tire. That chip stayed there for next 20 years. I would laugh at it every time after about 5 years of cussing at it.

Yeah- I still have a knot in my gut. The hardest part was calling my son to tell him. It's his car, and it was a week overdue from the shop, so he's texting me several times a day, each day, to see if it was done. I finally got the call to come check it out ,so he's expecting the " you gotta see it! " call, and instead it's the "Dad done goofed" call.

In the grand scheme of things, it's a small thing, no damage that can't be remedied, and we got another story to tell. But it still stinks right now.

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses for parts availability, and for the moral support.

I have either side

Here is pictures of the RH side so you can ID them

001.JPG

002.JPG

The culmination of three years of rest-modding the pony was to come to an end yesterday as we picked up the car for the paint shop. Replace the wheel opening molding and we were calling it good. That was the plan. The plan before I backed the car out of the shop and right into a fifth wheel trailer, catching the corner of the top and part of the top frame. OMG. A dentists drill was a lullaby compared to the grinding, aluminum cracking sound emanating from over my left shoulder. A salty sailor wold have been wide eyed at the torrent of frustration that left my lips. Done- we were done! Arghhhhh!

So, the good news is that the frame is still functional, and there was no sheet metal damage. The car looks great with the Boss inspired hood paint scheme (pix coming after my hands stop shaking LOL).

If there is anyone out there with a convertible top frame they are looking to get rid of or part out , let me know! I'm calling the shop now to have them order a new top....

Butch
I have a convertible top frame I would sell....im in illinois

All-

I've said it before, and it's worth repeating - this is one helluva group! I've received multiple PMs offering parts and support, and have the replacement parts in route. BIG thanks to Don at OMS for going the extra mile to pull apart a frame to make sure the parts were quality pieces! To all you that reached out, I owe you reputation points!!

New top is in at the end of the week, so as soon as the parts get in I'll have them powder coated and get her back to new!

All the best-

Butch

Well Don is a awesome person! Which is always to help Every body! Whit out a daut the Best supleior there is!! Because off hee always Will try to find good stuff [WINKING FACE] That is not what the other does sell you!! They Will sell you bad stuff from Taiwan [PERSEVERING FACE][PERSEVERING FACE] Which they sell as original part's!! But it docent fit at All ore is going bad after chort time! So yes give you Right at your statment off Don😀😎[TONGUE][THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars DK73

Sendt fra min E2303 med Tapatalk

Back