1972 Mustang Q code 4 speed CL

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Unfortunately this car has a 73 VIN posted in the ad... I hope it is just a typo!

But other than being over-restored with a few mods, it sure looks to be a nice, very well optioned from the factory 1972 Q code 4 speed convertible. But why did it need restored at only 48,900 miles????

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/5546958308.html

00I0I_5lV0Wt6TpEo_600x450.jpg

If I had it - I'd return it back to as original as possible. The Mach 1 stickers and striping would have to GO!

Ray

love the blue/argent. The Mach stickers and chin spoiler should go but I like the hockey stick stripes.
The hockey stick stripes were an option on any body style just no Mach 1 verbiage. The only thing that you could not get on any other model that the Mach 1 got was the words Mach 1 in the stripes, the vinyl inserts in the carpet and the Mach 1 sports interior option. Everything else was fair game on other models. I have never seen a Marti with a spoiler on the rear of a vert and none of the cars came with the chin spoiler. I think even the Boss cars had the chin spoiler put on by the dealer.

One of the members posted pictures of his friends vert that is this color and came with the hockey stripes it is on the window sticker.

David

David - to clarify - remember side tape stripes only available with Decor Group option. And if side tape stripes were ordered the Decor Group bright molding was deleted and replaced by a small pinstripe. BTW this was only applies for the hardtops (01) and sportsroofs (02) models. Grandes (04) models were NEVER offered these options.

All good.

Ray

If it spent its life in Wisconsin it very well may have needed some restoration. Especially if it was driven early in its life during winter months. My 73 only had 42K miles on it when I purchased it from the original owner, but it had been Maaco painted a GM blue, was oily and dirty and had been sitting in storage on a dirt floor for 7 years.

Very strange on the year....like to see the Marti Report. Wonder why it was not posted.

Believe it or not, mine only has 24,854 showing on the odometer. Now, I'm guessing that it had been clicked over so it was actually 124,854, considering it was parked in 1980 (according to the last registration sticker). I'm also guessing it sat the rest of the time and just rusted away until I got it in Aug 2010.

So, needing restoration after low mileage isn't necessarily all that uncommon. ;)

But yeah - ditch all the Mach 1 decals and that's a pretty sharp car. Looks like their painter also suffered from the same "didn't read the instructions, either" syndrome, and put the TuTone template back too far. I'd ask for the original wheels, too - in the golf cart picture, the car has sport covers on it.

I'd want to know for sure about that VIN, though. Probably just a typo, since they have the Marti Report information that seems correct... but, ya never know.

I don't know if that's a fair price or not. Seems a little bit high to me... I think $35K is the high-water mark on this car. But I could be wrong. I really like it, though... and it IS a nice car. Tough call.

Interesting. All 1971 & early 1972 had fixed rear seat belts and late 1972 & all 1973 had retracting belts as shown. Unfortunately I can't make out any dates on that document on the CL ad on my screen

So, needing restoration after low mileage isn't necessarily all that uncommon. ;)
Some owners also restore low mile cars because they want it to look new and fresh. Despite the car not having any rust or having original paint and trim in good condition. Different strokes for different folks.

The date on the original selling invoice was Jan. 72 I think a little blurry when you blow it up. That vert is about the highest optioned vert I have ever seen, over $5,000 price tag looks like $5,200 on the invoice.

I sent him a note but no answer. He did screw up with the side stripes not on the invoice and neither is the NASA hood. You could not get the argent paint or black paint without hood locks. So this is not a very correct car. Should have the fancy wheel covers. They did not do any detail work under the hood just painted everything, no phosphate or Slop Grey that I can see. The lid on the ram air looks like a Dynacorn I think have not gone to look at other pictures to see. The Ram Air is not on invoice either. A vert 4 speed would be so much fun in autocross, top down smoking the tires, lol.

David

The date on the original selling invoice was Jan. 72 I think a little blurry when you blow it up. That vert is about the highest optioned vert I have ever seen, over $5,000 price tag looks like $5,200 on the invoice.

I sent him a note but no answer. He did screw up with the side stripes not on the invoice and neither is the NASA hood. You could not get the argent paint or black paint without hood locks. So this is not a very correct car. Should have the fancy wheel covers. They did not do any detail work under the hood just painted everything, no phosphate or Slop Grey that I can see. The lid on the ram air looks like a Dynacorn I think have not gone to look at other pictures to see. The Ram Air is not on invoice either. A vert 4 speed would be so much fun in autocross, top down smoking the tires, lol.

David
So if Jan 72, it should have fixed non retractable rear Seat belts so something's not right here?

Really like that Blue/Argent combo. Wish they had posted the Marti report, and the Buyers Order large enough to read clearly. The dealer "Buyers Order" were normally at the mercy of the salesperson or someone in the office for accuracy of information or if something was accidently omitted. It does show a décor group which would qualify it for the body side tape stripe which was restricted to 01 base hardtop, 03 Convertible. The standard on the Boss 351 stripe was also a stand alone option on the 05 Mach 1.

The front spoiler was standard on the Boss and was NEVER offered as a RPO (Regular production option) on any other Mustang. But I can guarantee a pile of them were sold over the counter and many were dealer installed. The rear spoiler was a RPO but ONLY on the sportsroof cars. Can't read the date on the buyers order, but if early enough in 72 it could have a Ram Air Q code and just left off the paper work. Even though the air cleaner decal looks great, they were not a factory item on the Ram Air lids.

While a very nice looking car, since it shows to be a WI car, I would really like to see some under carriage shots. $40,000.00 is a lot of money for a car we know normally doesn't command that price. :)

Edit: Missed David's post about the missing hood locks which would be included in the factory Ram Air Two-tone hood. So looks like the ram air may be a another add on!!

Last edited by a moderator:

David
So if Jan 72, it should have fixed non retractable rear Seat belts so something's not right here?
January is late in the year. Remember they change over models in July. Both of my 72 verts have retractable rear belts.

David - to clarify - remember side tape stripes only available with Decor Group option. And if side tape stripes were ordered the Decor Group bright molding was deleted and replaced by a small pinstripe. BTW this was only applies for the hardtops (01) and sportsroofs (02) models. Grandes (04) models were NEVER offered these options.

All good.

Ray
Great points Ray.

I'm sure they will find somebody with a suitcase full of money and not much subject knowledge to buy this car but for that price I would expect it to be concourse correct and not just another heavily optioned Mach1 convertible ( which we all know was never built by Ford)

Last edited by a moderator:

David
January is late in the year. Remember they change over models in July. Both of my 72 verts have retractable rear belts.
Ah yes, good point David, thanks!

Ray,

Thanks for posting on this sight as I was unaware of this forum. The VIN 3 (indicating a '73) was a typo, and appreciate the heads up on that as well. I am the owner of the 72 Mustang, and my Father and I took this project on 2 years ago. My father has restored several Mustangs in his life, but we never had a chance to go at one together. When we first determined how we wanted to go about this, we found a spectacular example of a 72 Mustang if you google "72 mustang dressed to a Q". This was the starting block for what we wanted to do with it. If you read his article, we felt similar. If the car came with the NASA hood, lets make the ram air functional. We were going back and forth regarding the Mach1, and I appreciate your opinions. For those buyers that may be concerned, we have the original wheels with the sport caps, the original air cleaner, and the original Mustang script door badges. At the end of the day, we wanted to give the Mustang what we thought Ford would have, had the Government not put these new restrictions on. All of your input is appreciated, and helpful.

Thanks, Brandon

Back