light behind lighter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastintx

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
Ok guys dumb question but how do you change the light behind the cigarette lighter and headlight, wiper switch without removing the dash

You find someone with tiny hands. The sockets twist and come out. I just did mine on the bench. Seems like they have different bulb than the instruments. The light is in a little metal box that tilts the lighter at the right angle. I will see if I can get you a better picture but probably not today. You can see the lighter in the picture and the light socket is just above it.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks David ill see if i can find someone with tiny hands lol.

Just in case you don't have spare bulbs for your car, you'll need the #1895 bulb for the wiper/light switch/lighter locations. Over the years most were replaced with what ever was laying around. The 1895 is the factory installed bulb. I needed to replace the same bulb in my Mach 1 and could not get my hand in the right place. Finally had to get my "Small Hand" girl friend to change it for me! That didn't cost me.....much! :D

Thanks guys for the info, I'm guessing that the plastic ring around the lighter is not available. The little "pins" on my are broke and I can't find info for that anywhere!

How about long forceps vs. little hands? I have a good selection of forceps.

Thanks guys for the info, I'm guessing that the plastic ring around the lighter is not available. The little "pins" on my are broke and I can't find info for that anywhere!
Another area where the repo people show no love for the 71-73's. All the catalogs go up to 1970 and stop like they hit a brick wall. I checked my usual "Good" sources and they had nothing. If you do happen to look for it by part # try D1ZZ-10852-A. That is the one for the lighter.

I hate to sound like a broken record (for those of us old enough to remember vinyl records), but Don (OMS) would be a good place to start. He has been almost magician like in coming up with used parts that are non existent elsewhere! ::thumb::

remove the gage cluster they are all right there and when its out put leds in and you will kill two birds with one stone
^^^ This. ::thumb::
If you want to switch the bulbs to LED while replacing them, here is what you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-BA9-GREEN-5-SMD-LED-MAP-LIGHT-BULBS-BAX9-64111-64132-1895-1816-1891-1445-/141952636413?hash=item210d0955fd:g:0X0AAOSwU9xURHxF&vxp=mtr

Those three locations will need only to have the polarity reversed. Since the BA9S bulb only goes in one way, you have to cut the two wires and reverse them.(there are other threads regarding this on this forum) They will work, mine did/do. The LED's only draw a tiny current and produce no heat.

remove the gage cluster they are all right there and when its out put leds in and you will kill two birds with one stone
^^^ This. ::thumb::
If you want to switch the bulbs to LED while replacing them, here is what you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-BA9-GREEN-5-SMD-LED-MAP-LIGHT-BULBS-BAX9-64111-64132-1895-1816-1891-1445-/141952636413?hash=item210d0955fd:g:0X0AAOSwU9xURHxF&vxp=mtr

Those three locations will need only to have the polarity reversed. Since the BA9S bulb only goes in one way, you have to cut the two wires and reverse them.(there are other threads regarding this on this forum) They will work, mine did/do. The LED's only draw a tiny current and produce no heat.
i beleave SUPERBRIGHT LED store has reversed polarity bulbs and thay ship fast

thanks everyone for the advise, and yes Nailpounder thats exactly what im after to finish my led exchange!

thanks everyone for the advise, and yes Nailpounder thats exactly what im after to finish my led exchange!
WP_20160422_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back