Couple of QUESTIONS!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang sportsroof
1970 Mustang Hardtop
1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SLC European Version
1950 Ford Custom coupé
Hi guys!! I was thinking about how to make my own fan shroud to help my car cool off and i remembered that my radiator, the factory original as we stated before, has some sort of sender just below the upper hose. This sender if i dont recall bad, has 2 or 3 pins.. is not like the common 1 wire sender...

Of course nothing is connected to it and i´m not quite sure this sender is original.. Could be an add the past owner did when he couldn´t find a replacement for the original engine located temp sender?

Maybe not, maybe something supposed to be conected there and i don´t know what... What do you think??

But you know what?... Earlier yesterday i was working below the car and i saw another sender in my gearbox... It is in the front part of it, close to the engine i can say... It is an electrical 1 wire sender that is neither the reverse light nor the speedometer.. What could it be?

Well.. if you are interested i can manage to take some pictures of them in a few hours...

Thanks!!

Hey Damian,

Sounds like a "low level coolant sensor" It detects low levels of radiator fluid. The temp sensor should be on the engine somewhere. Yours may be at the rear of the block below the head or on the front of the block just below the exhaust manifold or water pump. More than likely on water pump. And about the one wire sensor on gearbox: Could it be a neutral switch or something like that? Post pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Damian,

Sounds like a "low level coolant sensor" It detects low levels of radiator fluid. The temp sensor should be on the engine somewhere. Yours may be at the rear of the block below the head or on the front of the block just below the exhaust manifold or water pump. More than likely on water pump. And about the one wire sensor on gearbox: Could it be a neutral switch or something like that? Post pics.
I´ll do that!! :) Low coolant level sensor?? Nice :p I´ll post some pics this evening so we can discuss it sooner :p

My car still has some mess with the wiring that i´ll be fixing one by one with LOTS of patient! :p

Have never seen a 71-3 with any sensor in the radiator.

Doubt it is origianl

Don

Have never seen a 71-3 with any sensor in the radiator.

Doubt it is origianl

Don
Me too Don.. besides, the connector pins are not the usual cylinder shaped but more like Bosch flat ones...

And the gearbox one?? ;)

Hey Damian

As for the fan shroud:

Why not just install an electric fan ( or 2)? Electric is alot more efficient and easy to hook up.

Hey Damian

As for the fan shroud:

Why not just install an electric fan ( or 2)? Electric is alot more efficient and easy to hook up.
Hey!! How are you!???... You know... i do know electric fans are more eficient but i don´t wanna go that far from originality with this car... As the matter of fact, the most difficult thing with my car is to make it work Ok with his factory specs that is my gold here...

Imagine that an I6 original is pretty rare itself... for me, from Uruguay, a south american 3er world country is a real challange!! jeje

Well, this particular car I want to slowly and patiently restore to it´s original factory specs and that is why adding an electric fan cooler is a little too much for now...

Thanks and keep posting!! :)

Or just fabricate a shroud out of sheet metal.
Hey Don!! i think i´ll do that... I found the shroud of my 70 coupé and i´m gonna use it as a asthetic model of the one I need for the sportsroof...

Last night i was at the garagge trying to take a good informative picture of the sender my radiator has (i´m gonna add it at the end of this post now :)) and i realice that my car DEFINITELY had a shorud...

Looking at the bottom part of the radiator you can still see the lower monting kit of the original shroud... There are 2 staples or press brakets in where the shroud is originaly mounted at the bottom...

That only tells me this particular car with its rare 21 3/4" radiator (gonna ask something about this measures too in another thread) definitely had a full fan shroud in his early days...

If this fan shroud is not reproduced anymore, best thing for me to do is to fabricate one taking good care not only his funtion but his asthetics in order not to spoil the "close to original" engine bay that i´m working on... I can do it and i LOVE the chalange :p

Thanks for posting Don!! Always nice to read you!

IMG_0195.JPG

Here is what i was telling you about guys... A sender in my radiator!?! :p

that sensor is not original i've never seen one like that before on our cars.

i would guess your radiator was replaced long ago with something that just fit into the rad support.

you might want to look into a High Efficiency copper core radiator, a high Efficiency core has more tubes and fins per inch then a standard, so a 2 Row Radiator with a high efficiency core has the same cooling capability as a 3 row or a 3 row high efficiency acts like a 4 row. it allows more cooling but in a smaller package, a regular 3 row would be a lot thicker then a 2 row and a 4 row would be much thicker then a 3 row. so if space is a problem and cooling is a problem you go high efficiency which allows you to pack more into a smaller area.

for example, i took a 1972 original 2 row radiator that was ruined, had a high efficiency core installed in it with a upgraded transmission cooler, everything was reinstalled in the original radiator case, and all original fittings maintained it dropped right into my radiator support and since it was the same width as original i had no clearance issues and all the original fan shroud parts fit, plus it shows the original ford part number on the top.

as far as cooling even when it was over 100 degrees outside the gauge never moved past half.

it cost me more to recore everything then buy new but my engine never suffered from engine rebuild overheating even at .40 over.

before my engine rebuild i had a regular after market copper radiator that might of been a 3 row and sitting in traffic when it was 65 degrees outside my gauge would go all the way to H on the temp.

something to think about since the rad is not original would be to just replace it with a modern equivalent and restore any doubt that current radiator is the source of your cooling issues.

that sensor is not original i've never seen one like that before on our cars.

i would guess your radiator was replaced long ago with something that just fit into the rad support.

you might want to look into a High Efficiency copper core radiator, a high Efficiency core has more tubes and fins per inch then a standard, so a 2 Row Radiator with a high efficiency core has the same cooling capability as a 3 row or a 3 row high efficiency acts like a 4 row. it allows more cooling but in a smaller package, a regular 3 row would be a lot thicker then a 2 row and a 4 row would be much thicker then a 3 row. so if space is a problem and cooling is a problem you go high efficiency which allows you to pack more into a smaller area.

for example, i took a 1972 original 2 row radiator that was ruined, had a high efficiency core installed in it with a upgraded transmission cooler, everything was reinstalled in the original radiator case, and all original fittings maintained it dropped right into my radiator support and since it was the same width as original i had no clearance issues and all the original fan shroud parts fit, plus it shows the original ford part number on the top.

as far as cooling even when it was over 100 degrees outside the gauge never moved past half.

it cost me more to recore everything then buy new but my engine never suffered from engine rebuild overheating even at .40 over.

before my engine rebuild i had a regular after market copper radiator that might of been a 3 row and sitting in traffic when it was 65 degrees outside my gauge would go all the way to H on the temp.

something to think about since the rad is not original would be to just replace it with a modern equivalent and restore any doubt that current radiator is the source of your cooling issues.
The thing is that my radiator has his original numbers on top... the hole frame seems to be original or at least, the top and the bottom where the shroud attaches...

Sensor is not original, that was my first clue but the rest of the radiator, i didn´t realice it could be modified or changed...

From what i could investigate, my radiator has the correct part numbers, the correct mounting spots... has the correct inner and outer pipes in the right places too.. The drain plug is the right one also...

I did look at some original radiator pics and mine has everything in the right place so... are you saying the cooling panel was replaced and the rest remains original?? Or am i missing something?

its possible somebody could of recored it or maybe somebody tapped the sensor in later and had a gauge on the dash at some point.

from the factory i've never seen it for our model years.

its possible somebody could of recored it or maybe somebody tapped the sensor in later and had a gauge on the dash at some point.

from the factory i've never seen it for our model years.
You know.. that can be the way here...

The last owner was an "electrician".. A guy who fixes radios and TV´s in his home...

Well... the car came with 4 extra gauges placed just above the glovebox... YES... 4 HOLES THERE!!

It was a crime that I solved fixing the panel the best i could...

Bottom line.. this guy likes to "redesign" stuff... :p It is trully possible he added some sensor to the radiator.. of course...

Good morning Damian! I would bet money on that sender being a "low level coolant sensor" Never seen it on our cars, however, you did mention something about your car having a special "cooling system option"? Could this be it? Our mustangs used two length radiators: 21 3/4" and 26" The I6 and some 302's used the smaller 21 3/4" radiators. V8's up to 429 used the 26" length radiators. If you measure the length and it's not 21 3/4" then I would have to say it's not the original radiator for this car. Also, check to see if your dash panel has a low-level-coolant warning light. This would be very cool if it did :)

Good morning Damian! I would bet money on that sender being a "low level coolant sensor" Never seen it on our cars, however, you did mention something about your car having a special "cooling system option"? Could this be it? Our mustangs used two length radiators: 21 3/4" and 26" The I6 and some 302's used the smaller 21 3/4" radiators. V8's up to 429 used the 26" length radiators. If you measure the length and it's not 21 3/4" then I would have to say it's not the original radiator for this car. Also, check to see if your dash panel has a low-level-coolant warning light. This would be very cool if it did :)
Hello!!! how are you my friend!??

In fact, my radiator is 21 3/4" wide and 17 3/4" tall.. I´ve measured it yerterday just to be sure that the upper part where the number is located is in fact the right part for the radiator and there´s no modifications what so ever...

The sensor... in my opinion is an add from the last owner... If you look at the type of connectors, they doesn´t look at all like every other ford connector from that time... In fact, here in Uruguay we call those flat male electric connectors the "Bosch connectors"...

As the measurements... I was pretty much sure there where some 20" radiators but now that i´m looking at a part list, in our years there was only 2 measures... mine and the 26" wide radiator...

However, i couldn´t find and fan shroud for this small one and that is why im gonna try to reproduce it using metal sheets to build a model and then, fiberglass to do the final piece...

It is a fun to do part but not easy at all!!

In fact, my radiator is 21 3/4" wide and 17 3/4" tall.. I´ve measured it yerterday just to be sure that the upper part where the number is located is in fact the right part for the radiator and there´s no modifications what so ever...

The sensor... in my opinion is an add from the last owner... If you look at the type of connectors, they doesn´t look at all like every other ford connector from that time... In fact, here in Uruguay we call those flat male electric connectors the "Bosch connectors"...

As the measurements... I was pretty much sure there where some 20" radiators but now that i´m looking at a part list, in our years there was only 2 measures... mine and the 26" wide radiator...

However, i couldn´t find and fan shroud for this small one and that is why im gonna try to reproduce it using metal sheets to build a model and then, fiberglass to do the final piece...

That's awesome! I would try to contact that guy on youtube and see if he's interested in selling his original. Some are not into concours so it be worth a try. :) I'll keep an eye out for a shroud for you.

Later!

That's awesome! I would try to contact that guy on youtube and see if he's interested in selling his original. Some are not into concours so it be worth a try. :) I'll keep an eye out for a shroud for you.

Later!
Great my friend!! if i find one that is THE one i definitelyu buy it.. in the mid time... mi car has to run cooler! :p

Thanks and keep posting!

I LOVE THIS FORUM GUYS!

Back