Primary/rust prevention

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shields

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Hardtop
Hello, so I am looking to get primary on my car to help prevent rust as well as inside the wheel wells. What is a good quality brand primary and any other spray to get to help with this? I know I need some other stuff before hand just trying to figure out what would be best to use for the old cars to help keep the body good before I can paint it in a few years.

Hello Shields,

Here is an interesting article on your question.

Self Etching Primer vs. Epoxy Primers

http://www.autos.com/auto-repair/self-etching-primer-vs-epoxy-primers

The Epoxy primer may be the way to go since there maybe no rust. Here are a few possible samples.

DuPont 2540S - https://www.johnsonautobodysupply.com/DuPont-Epoxy-DTM-Primer-Sealer-Gallon.html

PPG dp90lf - http://us.ppgrefinish.com/getmedia/A0320685-0081-4DBE-B240-D3E0B4005CB7/09/p-196_dplf_epoxy_primer-9-13.pdf

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Our resident master body guru, Scott, has recommended Southern Polyurethane brand to me in the past for all underbody sheet metal. He may see this thread and provide further detail.

Thank you for all the feedback. So my understanding and I'll use POR-15 as an example. I brush clean gently the rust spots then use POR-15 metal prep then once dry 100% use the POR-15 rust prevention on the whole body then POR--15 top coat? That's my understanding for right now. And does PoR-15 last a good while 3 years tops before a real paint job as well as is their something better which I think what mustang7173 posted is the better stuff for it.

Thank you for all the feedback. So my understanding and I'll use POR-15 as an example. I brush clean gently the rust spots then use POR-15 metal prep then once dry 100% use the POR-15 rust prevention on the whole body then POR--15 top coat? That's my understanding for right now. And does PoR-15 last a good while 3 years tops before a real paint job as well as is their something better which I think what mustang7173 posted is the better stuff for it.
Don't use por 15--Prep is critical and meant for inner areas not exterior sheetmetal that's going to receive the actual topcoats exterior finishes. There are better easier to use products out there. If your looking to do the exterior sheetmetal epoxy primer is the way to go if the car is going to sit for a long time before actual paint. Simple process sand with 80 grit to bare metal with a oscillating sander-wipe with waterborne wax and grease remover-let sit 1 hour--apply epoxy as per instructions heres my vid on the epoxy primer

Don't use por 15--Prep is critical and meant for inner areas not exterior sheetmetal that's going to receive the actual topcoats exterior finishes. There are better easier to use products out there. If your looking to do the exterior sheetmetal epoxy primer is the way to go if the car is going to sit for a long time before actual paint. Simple process sand with 80 grit to bare metal with a oscillating sander-wipe with waterborne wax and grease remover-let sit 1 hour--apply epoxy as per instructions heres my vid on the epoxy primer

I Plan to use it as a Dailey driver during the summer at least when it's nice. Still use exproxy?

Back