RPM's too high at 70 mph for 2.75 gears

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastintx

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
ok need a little help 1973 Mach 1 with FMX 3 speed auto and standard 2.75 rear gears. my problem i think the rpms are way too high. at 60 mph running 2600 and at 70 mph a +3000. this is too high right? what can cause this. the cars seems to be running ok but wow. i was thinking about going with 3.50 gears but that would be crazy rpms. whats my problem. oh and running 26.6 inch tires

maybe my tach needs to be calibrated. and yes i hear the tranny shift to 3rd. can the tach be calibrated?

bought the car back in nov and all seems to be running great, but this is a little worrisome

Do you have another tach or aftermarket one you can run some wires too (from coil, ground, power) temporarily and test drive and compare the two?

I guess I will try and find one to hook up so I can check. Maybe that's why I get crap gas mileage. I know that these cars aren't great on mpg's. But....

Did you physically verify the rear gears by spinning the tire?

Might not have 2.75 anymore.

Yes Barnett468 just did that tonight, open gear one wheel off ground two complete rev on tire 2 3/4 turns of the yoke

Just downloaded a phone GPS app so I can check mph. Process of elimination now. Thanks guys foe your advise, you guys rock!

That kind of rpm is more in line with a 3:25 rear end gearing than 2:75. If it was stuck in 2nd, that would be pretty obvious and rpms would be way up there at 60 mph.

I am curious what you do find out with the speedometer. If that is what is off here is how it calculates out....

2.75 rear

1.00 final ratio

3000 RPM

26.6" Tire Height

Puts your speed at 86 mph

Yeah that's what I thought I'm guessing Speedo is good cause I wasn't going that fast to hit 3k lol

Back