72 Gold Glow Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeymach1

Reaction score
My Car
1989 Mustang GT owned since new. First car was a 1972 Gold Glow Mach 1
The good. Looks like a good original car to start with, with all the the car there.

The bad. Has rust. Where there is rust that can be seen there is an equal amount or more rust you can't see. Was running when it was parked...weren't they all? Huge red flag for the price it is already at.

If I were looking I'd be in it for no more than 6k given the description. Running and with a thorough rust inspection that turned out good I'd go up to 10k. That's what I would do, others may do differently based on different circumstances and personal desires.

I'll start by saying unless I know the seller or the person who did the work, I'd rather look at one like this any day. Have seen a lot of cars posted here that members have found on various sites and looked great. The wet look paint jobs, perfect chrome magnums and an endless array of stripes and look at me items. Problem is all that bling is normally hiding shoddy body work and half A$$ repairs.

This car in my opinion is hiding nothing. It's 44 years old, so your going to see thin paint, surface rust, cracked, fading plastic, etc. What I would like to see are under carriage, cowl area, and more under hood fender apron views. The seller shouldn't have a problem honoring such a request if he is sincere about selling the car without any misrepresentations.

I like the options I see on this vehicle and see a lot I wished mine had. Gold Glow is a color that looks like it was made for this car. I had a Gold Glow Gran Torino Sport and always received compliments on the color.

Agree with Don65Stang on the pricing. I would like to see the sell contingent on a inspection. If everything looks ok and it's not ready to break in half then it's worth the $9,700.00 buy it now price!

Agreed, this could be a good starting point if the hidden rust isn't too bad. At this price range, although the price is creeping upward (and reserve not met yet), it's better to see the flaws rather than having them hidden beneath Bondo. If Seinfeld did car jokes however, he would have some great material in that ad copy:

"Engine is not locked up, car rolls easily.." (so did the Flintstone-mobile) "I bet a guy could have this running in very short order..." (just a guy, or would it take a car guy? why not a girl?) "This was a running car when parked a few years back." (a few years back in 1983). :)

Here would be my concerns.

1. The oxidation on the roof looks like it is fairly severe in the photo especially on the passenger side (notice the rough texture), my guess is you would blast right through that.

2. All the little things add up. Looking at some of the interior photos even the "piano hinge" for the fold down seat is rusted pretty bad.

3. Notice in the photo with the dash vin, there are a lot of water stains on the dash inside the car. Where did all that water go? My guess is the cowl is rotted as well as the torq boxes and a good portion of the floors.

4. Rust in the trunk area around the spare who knows under it.

5. Several interior panels appear cracked and damaged.

6. The steering wheel is a sweet option but is in pretty sorry shape.

7. Rear bumper is heavily oxidized and looks as if it was hit in the center pushing the middle in and drawing the two ends out.

Would be a really cool car when done but I think you buy a done one for less money than this would take.

Not going to throw a stone at this one. Like has been said I would rather see one like this than with a shoddy paint job or primer hiding every thing. In fact if you look at the bid history I put the first bid the day the car came up, lol. If someone is looking for one I say this will be gone today for the BIN price of $9,000. Original unmolested cars are hard to find. Great color I have 72 CJ vert this color. This will bring more than a half ass done car.

If you do spring for it tell the seller it depends on in person inspection for deadly rust and the the engine will turn over not needed to start just not locked up or a broke rod.

Heck I just sold the engine out of my old 69 ford van for $400 that had not ran since the early 90's. 240 6 cyl.. We pulled the plugs out and you could turn it over with a ratchet handle no stuck valves or pistons.

You will be pulling and building the engine anyway as long as it is not broke your ok.

It is in Ohio sold in Michigan but don't let that scare you some cars there with Ziebart rust protection are better than California cars. With no holes showing in the quarters, doors or fenders I bet the only floor damage is from window or roof rail leaks. Pull the grills off the cowl and check inside for bad rust.

Looks like this is a great bone to start with. It even has the most difficult part to find the space saver spare and canister, hurray.

My 2 cents. You better call him and pay the By It Now before it is too late, I might bid again, darn medicine not working.

David

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I have asked for additional photos in rust prone areas and also asked for a phone number so I could talk to the guy. So far I have not heard back. Biggest mistake I ever made was not buying the gold glow Mach that a member here sold a couple of years ago. So dumb.

And on a lighter note, as a guy that's spent 20+ years as an equity analyst on Wall St, I have heard my share of worn out buzz words (low hanging fruit, deep dive, leverage our core competencies, etc.), but nothing bothers me more these days than "barn find". Blech.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the car "sold" for its reserve last nite and is listed again. I also never got a phone number or the photos. Finally, a check of the bid activity for the old and current auctions shows a bidder with an abnormal percentage (76%) of bids with the seller only. I think shill bidding is happening, but I obviously can not prove it.

Car is back on E bay.....
eBay needs to do something about the joke bidders. If you click on the bidders and look at their history most have bought a pair of sunglasses or nothing at all. eBay is getting to be a sucky place to sell. I would contact the seller and do a behind the scene buy. This is a great car if not rusty and good not locked up engine.

Car is back on E bay.....
eBay needs to do something about the joke bidders. If you click on the bidders and look at their history most have bought a pair of sunglasses or nothing at all. eBay is getting to be a sucky place to sell. I would contact the seller and do a behind the scene buy. This is a great car if not rusty and good not locked up engine.
Well, it would seem to me that the seller can just as easily determine what you did and reach out to serious bidders. Unless, as I said, the "joke" bidders are actually shill bidders trying to up the price.

Back