71' Convert Trunk Name tag?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All 71 coupes had the letters...maybe verts also, but 72 and 73's had the Mustang script on the right side of the trunk lid.

According to my Source (Mustang Recognition Guide 1964 - 1973), ALL 1971 Mustang Convertibles and Coupes had the word M U S T A N G in block letters stretched widely spaced across the rear of the deck lids.

The 1971 Mustang Sportsroof models had the word M U S T A N G centered on the deck lid.

Hope this helps.

BT

According to my Source (Mustang Recognition Guide 1964 - 1973), ALL 1971 Mustang Convertibles and Coupes had the word M U S T A N G in block letters stretched widely spaced across the rear of the deck lids.

The 1971 Mustang Sportsroof models had the word M U S T A N G centered on the deck lid.

Hope this helps.

BT
Thanks, maybe my PO filled in the holes before they had it painted.

I'll have to fix that!

Hope this helps.

BT
Thanks, maybe my PO filled in the holes before they had it painted.

I'll have to fix that!
Hi there,

I'm in the same boat as you since someone filled the holes in my trunk lid many years ago. I own a 1971 Convertible as well and I think all 71 Convertibles came with the block letters across the trunk. I am looking for someone who has these letters on their car to make a stencil kit to help us out with the correct spacing and location of each letter! Heck, I'd pay someone to make me a stencil kit.  :goodpost:

Be aware that some of the reproduction letter have the mounting pins incorrectly located on the back of the letter. When using factory holes, the letters are crooked.

One solution is to use the stick on letters with the good 3M adhesive. Sometimes if you cut off one of the pins, you can swivel the letter so it is straight, but you also need to use a dab of adhesive to keep it aligned.

I'm curious about these letters also. Do the exist aftermarket ?  From reading above, I know they would not be original for my 73, but I'm thinking I like the look. I'd glue them on if I did do this. I don't have the corner emblem, so it is a clean slate back there.

It may be false recollection but, I think I remember seeing a decal stripe, including the fender extensions, that had "MUSTANG" in hollow letters (the letters were cut out and body color was shown). Perhaps it was only in a brochure and never made it to production or only on early fastbacks. Or I'm full of it. Chuck

It may be false recollection but, I think I remember seeing a decal stripe, including the fender extensions, that had "MUSTANG" in hollow letters (the letters were cut out and body color was shown). Perhaps it was only in a brochure and never made it to production or only on early fastbacks. Or I'm full of it. Chuck
Well like many on here - Chuck is FULL OF good advice and helpful info!  Glad you choose to share your knowledge with us! 

Me - I am learning more all the time!!! Ok and probably forgetting some along the way.  :whistling:  

I have seen it before but I am not sure if this stripe was an original offering for 71 Sportsroofs or not.  Sure looks cool.

71 Mustang trunk stripe.jpg

Ray

I know there will always be exceptions and variances, but the following is how the designers intended for these cars to leave the factory. In 71 the coupes and verts had the word Mustang in block letters across the deck lid with a tail light applique panel. The base model sports roof had a decal  that was on the deck lid and qtr/panel end caps that spelled out Mustang and had a plain body color light panel like in Boss1Ray's illustration. Sometime during the January, February 71 production a change was phased in that added the chrome block Mustang letters and added the tail light applique panel.

The block letters with pins were actually sourced from the 65-66 Mustang GT where they were used inside the GT stripe on the fender. They were later used on the deck lids of 67-70 Mustangs with the original C5ZZ part number designation. They were eventually replaced by the service part that was released for the 71 Mustang that eliminated the pins and now were adhesive backed. Ask anyone that had to drill 28 holes in two new fenders for a 65-66 GT how much they appreciated that.

The 72-73's used the Mustang script on the deck lid that had been in use since 1969 (C9ZZ-16098-A).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I am asking again! Can someone who's 1971 Mustang (Coupe or Convertible) came with these individual chrome block letters originally please make a stencil (with parchment paper for example) for other 71 Mustang owners whose trunk lid holes have been filled in by a previous owner? I have NOS trunk letters with pins but need a someone on here to produce a "Stencil Kit". Seriously, I'd pay someone for their time. Thanks guys!

I don't have a 71 car or trunk lid. I have several trunks but none have the MUSTANG letters. I believe the reason nobody is responding is if they have a complete car it is not easy to get the letters back out of the spring tubes they install into. Now if someone had a car in restoration with the letters off it would be easy. Be patient and keep asking.

If you do end up applying with glue I would use the 3-M tape that is made to attach molding. I see the big issue with doing that cutting the tape to the letter profile without making a mess of the tape. Factory would die cut the tape and apply to the letters. At the factory multiple loose letters have a paper that holds the letters spaced correctly to apply then removed.

Thanks David! I've had a set of original letters which had the tape on the back so I know exactly what they look like but I sold that set a very long time ago. I have another original set of letters which have pins so that's why I keep asking for someone's help. I am aware they do not uninstall with ease! Thanks again for the info. Do you still want the Convertible top cable set you inquired about?

Back