Ford Blue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
I need to retouch up my valve covers.

Any idea of the Ford Blue and where I can get this besides a dealer (unless that's the only place).

If the dealer is there a part number so they can order it.

Thanks

Don't use Duplicolor "Old Ford Blue" from O'Reilly Auto Parts - the purists will lose their minds... ask me how I know. ;) rofl

Does anyone have a good high res photo of their stock valve covers in correct paint color? Mine look lighter than the corporate blue but I am 99% sure they are original. Still have the orangish timing/tuning decal on the one.

I feel unless your doing a Concours restoration or want the "Just left Detroit" look, it is pretty much what ever peels your banana as to the color blue you like. I personally like the dark corporate blue with the chrome (or aluminum) valve covers and air cleaners like you would see on the 390, 428, and Boss cars. Ford did have a part number for Corporate Blue engine paint (EP-2075-C) quart, and (D2AZ-19500-AB) 16oz spray, but are now discontinued. You'll also hear many different numbers given for everyone's favorite version of 1966/ Ford blue. There again personal preference. I've always used Plasti-Kote #224. Having been involved in MANY engine projects over the years for friends and myself, I found this color best matched what was on the engines we pulled. In fact this is what we used at the Ford dealer to paint shop built engines and to touch up Ford built engines going in customers cars. A friend of mine who restores Mustangs used the Plasti-kote on his personal 68 GT500 KR Shelby and it looked really great!

I think he's trying to match the factory blue on his valve covers because they need to be touched up.

It's going to be a trial-and-error kind of a deal. Maybe take a valve cover or another more convenient matching piece (air cleaner lid?) with you to a paint shop and have them mix up the right color into a spray bomb for you.

Ended up getting Plastikote #224. Says Ford Blue but it's darker than my OEM valve covers, but it's fine for now.

This is will give more of a reason to change the valve covers to match the new finned air cleaner.

I've been using Seymour spray can paints in the past few years for Corporate Ford Blue, Stainless and Cast Blast colors on misc parts on both my 73 and 69 verts. The Seymour Corporate Ford blue does not appear to be as dark as Plasticote or Duplicolor spray cans. Biggest issue was to find who carried the Seymour line locally.

Back