Spark Plug Wires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Guess I'm on a roll thinking since I have a new finned air cleaner and left valve cover breather cap, I could use new spark plug wires and distributor cap.. The ones I have are 7mm and black.

Been looking at a set from Mustangs Unlimited for the 302 in blue, but they are 9mm.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M12259C301+01

Does the larger mm really make a difference or should I stick with either 7mm or 8mm?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using the 8.5mm wires. This is what MSD had to say about the differences of their wires. Not sure how much of this is marketing hype.

"The MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire is "the" performance wire. Engineered from the inside out, the 8.5 offers everything you have ever wanted in a wire; incredibly low resistance without electronic interference! In a single 12 inch length of Super Conductor Wire there is only 40 - 50 ohms of resistance! That is the lowest resistance of any helically wound wire. To accomplish this, we use a copper alloy conductor due to it's great voltage carrying capabilities. The low resistance results in less loss in spark energy so more reaches the spark plug. The conductor is wound extremely tight around a special center core. So tight in fact, that there is over 40 feet of conductor wrapped into a single foot of plug wire. This winding procedure, combined with a ferro-magnetic impregnated center core, produces an extremely effective Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) "choke". This would be the best wire to use with the MSD 8 Ignition System.

The 8mm MSD Heli-Core Ignition Wires are perfect for passenger cars, tow vehicles and performance cars. The wires are 8mm and can be relied on to deliver all the high voltage your engine needs! Heli-Core wires feature a stainless steel conductor that is wound around a special glass core. The stainless conductor provides a low resistance path for high voltage to flow while keeping Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) to a minimum. By winding the conductor around a special glass inner core, the EMI is suppressed inside the wire where it cannot interfere with other electronic devices on your vehicle."

It depends on the type of wire. The carbon coated fiberglass wires use high ohms to suppress radio interference (EMI). Straight copper wire has the least resistance per foot but offers little EMI suppression. The helically wound wires provide good EMI suppression while carrying most of the voltage to the spark plugs. I use the helically wound wire.

I've used Taylor wires for 20 years without disappointment.

Chuck
Is that the Packard wires as I don't see Taylor on them?
No it is not. The Taylor wires I use are universal sets that requires cutting to length and a special crimping tool. They do make a fully assembled set for your application (please double check application before purchasing). http://www.taylorvertex.com/product-search/

These are the Spiro-pro wires with 350 ohms per foot and will not interfere with radios or other EMI/RFI sensitive devices.

Chuck

Back