71 Mach Undercarriage & cowl Paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71mach429

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
Hello,

Nearly complete with the metal work on my 71 Mach restoration. I have a couple questions with painting to bring it back to original.

- The undercarriage is the red oxide. Is the entire car red oxide underneath or is part of it black?

- What about the wheel wells?

- In the engine bay: Is it painted semi-gloss black or flat black?

- Is the cowl area (under the hood) body color or black?

I was looking for pictures in the Gallery area but found a lot of variation.

Thanks,

Dave

Here are some excerpts from the Mustang Club of America 2011 Judges Guide for 71 to 73 Mustangs:

W. Firewall and Inner Fender Panels: Painted semi-gloss black. Shock tower braces, correct slop gray color. Shock tower caps, natural steel or phosphate and oil finish .................................... 3

X. Sound Deadener (Sealant): At proper places on firewall including any areas where components come through the firewall, such as wiring and heater motor. No sound deadener with documentation ................................................................................................................................. 2

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness of items W through X ....................................................... 4

Y. Underside of Hood: Same color as exterior ............................................................................ 2

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 2

Z. Hood Release, Latch and Latch Support:

Release and Latch: Original style. Natural steel or phosphate and oil finish.

Latch Support: Painted correct slop gray color.

........................................................................................................................................................ 2

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 2

AA. Hood Hinges and Springs: Original style. Phosphate and oil finish. NASA (Ram-Air) hoods must have the proper flat wire springs .............................................................................................. 2

BB. Decals: 71 only - Service Specification decal. Battery Test decal. Cubic inch air cleaner decal. Emission Service decal. Caution Fan decal

5. UNDERCARRIAGE Points

A. Undercarriage:

Undercoating: No undercoating allowed in Trailered Class.

Undercoated Cars: Everything must be covered except drive shaft, transmission, rear-end housing, exhaust pipes, mufflers, springs and plates. Gas tank, fully undercoated or have overspray around leading front edge and two sides. Must show some evidence of overspray. Convertible plate must be undercoated.

Non-undercoated Cars: Undercarriage primer either red oxide, dark gray or black with some body color and pinch weld paint overspray. (Primer paint drips should be visible for non-undercoated cars.) Convertible plate, black or natural.

...................................................................................................................................................... 20

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness of undercoating. (Workmanship of undercoating must be poor quality or excessive to deduct points). Workmanship, condition and cleanliness of underside of floorpans .................................................................................................................................... 15

B. Wheel Wells:

Rear Wheel Housing: Blacked out with sound deadener. Body color or black overspray acceptable.

Front Fender: Topside may be blacked out with sound deadener or show signs of primer and body color overspray. Splash guards, black with some sound deadener. Inner fenders, wheel-side could show blending of body color, primer or engine compartment color with deadener overspray.

Lower Pinch Welds: From front wheel well (behind fender) to rear valance, semi-gloss black or body color if exterior dark color.

........................................................................................................................................................ 5

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 8

C. Rigid Fuel and Brake Lines: Natural steel finish. Routed in original location ......................... 2

Driven Exception:

Stainless steel lines ..................................................................................................... no deduction

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 1

D. Flexible Fuel, Brake Lines and Differential Vent: Black rubber. Original Ford factory markings. Mounted in proper location ............................................................................................... 2

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 1

E. Gas Tank: Must be original type and Ni-terne steel finish ........................................................ 2

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 3

I can comment on the cowl area. The cowl area is the same flat black as the firewall. In dismantling my car I noted the flat black color went into the interior of the car and covered half of the upper bracket that the dash structure bolted to. The other half of the bracket was body color. Do you know what asembly plant your car was produced out of?

I can comment on the cowl area. The cowl area is the same flat black as the firewall. In dismantling my car I noted the flat black color went into the interior of the car and covered half of the upper bracket that the dash structure bolted to. The other half of the bracket was body color. Do you know what asembly plant your car was produced out of?
Yes; have the Marti Report. I was built in Dearborn and sent to Dallas Ford in Dalllas, OR. And thank you for the cowl info!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back