Which sticker is right?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I had stripped and repainted my stock valve covers and went to order the new emissions sticker and sticker that shows what engine is in the car. There were two listed for my car so I ordered one of each but do not know which one is correct. See picture.

My car is 1973 Convertible, 351 H code originally had an FMX, with air, Power Steering, Power Brakes. It was also a California car San Jose DSO with California Emissions testing shown on Marti if that makes a difference for pollution? Which sticker is right? Just wanted to put on the restored covers and put away so my son will know what goes where.

Thanks,

Hi David. I will swing out to the garage shortly and see what I have on mine. It is a San Jose DSO 73 H code with AC power steering and brakes and FMX Trans. Should be the same as what you need assuming there is between the vert and coupe.

My 73 with the same engine, transmission and options as your car came with the sticker shown on top, mine is a sportsroof though.

Last edited by a moderator:
David, do you have the build sheet for this particular car? The code would be on it. The change from the metal tag to paper was done around 2/73 (depending on the plant) and was done across the entire car and truck line. It was not a job 1 at vehicle launch change so there will be some variance's around the launch date. I had a chart on these engine codes, but like everything I put up so I can find it easily later, it has disappeared into a black hole.

I believe the difference between K 600 C and K604CG is the basic engine code 604 and the "G" is the designation for the calibration level required on your 351C 2bl with AC. Hope this has helped and not added to the confusion.

With 73 emissions controls now in full swing these labels were another source of confusion since each engine calibration now had to reflect a build level that had variables like W/or W/O AC, trans type, differential ratio, etc.

So...my vote is the bottom one!! LOL ::thumb::

The Marti tag book says 1973 351C 2V would be 604 and the C indicated Cleveland engine plant, the G indicates AC. The prefix should be KK for California with EGR and no thermactor. So, if Marti is correct, neither tag is correct. Chuck

The Marti tag book says 1973 351C 2V would be 604 and the C indicated Cleveland engine plant, the G indicates AC. The prefix should be KK for California with EGR and no thermactor. So, if Marti is correct, neither tag is correct. Chuck
Interesting. My 73 Mach 1 still has the original tag on the cover, see attached pic. Does this agree with the Marti numbers? You cannot see the top right but it is all there.

It is Q code 4 speed, air, power windows, rear defogger, PB, PS pretty much everything you could hang on it.

Heck I have found a couple errors in the Ford shop manuals one for the 65 convertible spacing for the roof bows to apply the top and 85 SVO has wire harness on the wrong side. Manual says under passenger seat and it is under the drivers seat. There are so many errors in all this stuff never know what is right even when new.

Interesting. My 73 Mach 1 still has the original tag on the cover, see attached pic. Does this agree with the Marti numbers? You cannot see the top right but it is all there.

It is Q code 4 speed, air, power windows, rear defogger, PB, PS pretty much everything you could hang on it.

Heck I have found a couple errors in the Ford shop manuals one for the 65 convertible spacing for the roof bows to apply the top and 85 SVO has wire harness on the wrong side. Manual says under passenger seat and it is under the drivers seat. There are so many errors in all this stuff never know what is right even when new.
David, That sticker is correct if the Marti book is correct. K= non-california, non-thermactor, 621= 351 4V, 4 speed, A= first year of 3 year cycle, G= air conditioning. Does the car have a metal engine tag as well/ What is the build date? As ask because there is some discussion as to when, or if, Ford stopped using metal engine tags.

Chuck

David, need to ask you again, do you have the build sheet on this car? Code would also be there. The OFFICIAL date Ford changed from metal to paper tag was 2/1/73. There again it was not a job 1 launch, but was phased in for all car, truck, industrial, marine and export applications, so a lot of room for variations considering all the different engines going to many divisions at Ford. My 71 M and 72 Q 351's had the metal tag secured by the coil bracket bolt. The 71CJ and 72 Interceptor 429 that I crossbred to go into my 72 "N" code Gran Torino had paper tags on the front of the right side aluminum valve cover and a metal tag by the coil.

Still can't find my "Good" code book, but rechecking what info I do have , it would appear that if you do have a California car, then it should have "KK" prefix before the 604. That would be California with EGR ,no thermactor (air pump). The C after the 604 is the Engineering design or release level of the engine with A being the initial release. The second letter would be items that would be particular to that engine installation such as "G" for air. The C and 2 on the left side stand for Cleveland engine plant #2.

The single K is a good code for 49 state emissions with EGR, no T/E (air pump). The labels changed again in 74, so you dealing with a one year, one state label, so availability is sorta anyone's guess. I know that Marti makes the metal engine tags, might be worth a call to see if the paper tags is one of their offerings. How "Correct" do you want to be and how much more $$$ do you want to spend! Lol

David, need to ask you again, do you have the build sheet on this car? Code would also be there. The OFFICIAL date Ford changed from metal to paper tag was 2/1/73. There again it was not a job 1 launch, but was phased in for all car, truck, industrial, marine and export applications, so a lot of room for variations considering all the different engines going to many divisions at Ford. My 71 M and 72 Q 351's had the metal tag secured by the coil bracket bolt. The 71CJ and 72 Interceptor 429 that I crossbred to go into my 72 "N" code Gran Torino had paper tags on the front of the right side aluminum valve cover and a metal tag by the coil.

Still can't find my "Good" code book, but rechecking what info I do have , it would appear that if you do have a California car, then it should have "KK" prefix before the 604. That would be California with EGR ,no thermactor (air pump). The C after the 604 is the Engineering design or release level of the engine with A being the initial release. The second letter would be items that would be particular to that engine installation such as "G" for air. The C and 2 on the left side stand for Cleveland engine plant #2.

The single K is a good code for 49 state emissions with EGR, no T/E (air pump). The labels changed again in 74, so you dealing with a one year, one state label, so availability is sorta anyone's guess. I know that Marti makes the metal engine tags, might be worth a call to see if the paper tags is one of their offerings. How "Correct" do you want to be and how much more $$$ do you want to spend! Lol
Steve,

When I pulled the interior out I looked for the build sheet. Found only one small piece of a corner so no chance of a build sheet. I just got the simple Marti so I would know what it came with. PO had also pulled the factory intake and replaced with the Eldebrock Performer made for the 2-V heads. He had pulled the stock distributor and put MSD one in and also MSD coil so no metal tag either. I took a picture of what was left of the sticker on the valve cover but did not notice that my camera setting was not on automatic and the pictures show nothing.

And no this car will never be a show car just my driver. I just wanted the valve cover to be right if someone wanted to buy it.

I had taken pictures of the emissions sticker on the drivers side valve cover and they were no good either. The one I got to replace with is the D3AE-9C485-AFA.

This code book you refer to was it part of the service manuals, dealer issued books? I might have one and not know it. Is it one of the skinny like 4" wide 8" long books?

This is info from Standard Marti I copied pasted.

Serial Number 3F03H214250

3 1973

F Built at Dearborn

03 Mustang 2-Door Convertible

H 351-2V V-8 Engine

214250 Serial Number of this Ford scheduled for

production at Dearborn

04/73 April, 1973

76D Mustang 2-Door Convertible

6E Medium Bright Yellow Paint, Ford #5080-A

CW White Knitted Vinyl Bucket Seats

X FMX Select Shift Automatic Transmission

2 2.75 Conventional Rear Axle

72 San Jose DSO (District Sales Office)

DEALER #: 72E033

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:

- White Power Top w/Glass Backlite

- California Emission Testing

- F70X14 Belted White Sidewall Tires

- Convenience Group

- Power Steering

- Bumper Rub Strips

- Air Conditioner - SelectAire

- AM/FM Stereo Radio

- Decor Group

- Color Keyed Racing Mirrors

- Tinted Glass Complete

- Sports Wheel Covers

Your vehicle was actually produced on April 4, 1973 -- one day behind schedule.

One thing I thought was odd is it has power brakes but not listed on Marti and don't think anyone went to trouble to put them on. I have another 73 vert and it also has PB but not on the Marti. Was that a standard thing in 73 a sales promotion? The rear drum brakes are also the wide ones with the finned drums. Much heavier than the drums on my 72 verts. Again I don't thing it was changed only 48,000 on car and sat the last 25 years.

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

A lot of good dialogue on this post. Here is the original 73 vert I photographed a couple of years ago. 351 C 2V, AC, C6
Great pic. do you know the DSO for the car? I am sure that my car being California DSO had to show up on the tag someway.

I have also been told there was a tag on the window about passing the California Emission Testing which shows up on the Marti. What does it look like?

I see lots of our cars with the little square letters stuck on the cowl, shock tower and other places. None of my cars have them they do have rubber stamp letters from inspectors in various places. I was thinking maybe the paper ones were replaced by the stamps or the paper ones were for cars that went to the audit area to be checked again. My Mach1 that I ordered did not have them nor did it have the sticker near the battery about the battery being ok. It did have the sticker behind the license plate about the tie downs, probably still there. They left the tie downs. I did not let the dealer even wash or vac the car when it came so I could find anything factory left. There was a couple computer punch cards inside long lost in the hoard. There was an extra stainless piece that goes around the brake pedal laying in the floor.

:goodpost:

::thumb::

I know it can be challenging but huge thanks to all who are participating in this discussion. This is how we learn more on these 42-45 year old cars!

Ray

The car was originally delivered to Lebanon,TN so it was not a CA car with emissions. The small square stickers are utilized to document inspection completion at various stages in the build process. P=Paint, T=Trim, B=Body, and F=Final. These were applied as the car completed final inspection for that phase of the build. The rubber stamp letters are the inspector initials for that part of vehicle. They are typically placed on the mounting flange for the front fenders, on the door, and on the underside of the decklid. These cars passed down the assembly by the hundred each day. Some variation in how they reached the end of the line is to be expected. When preparing a car for concourse judging these will be the things they are looking for. Without solid documentation to support not having the items, they may deduct. The standard is based upon the averaging of known original cars not on the unique qualities of an individual car. If you have the documentation to support the traits of your car and judging is important to you make sure you have it. If judging is not important put the car back to the way you remember it and enjoy it.

The car was originally delivered to Lebanon,TN so it was not a CA car with emissions. The small square stickers are utilized to document inspection completion at various stages in the build process. P=Paint, T=Trim, B=Body, and F=Final. These were applied as the car completed final inspection for that phase of the build. The rubber stamp letters are the inspector initials for that part of vehicle. They are typically placed on the mounting flange for the front fenders, on the door, and on the underside of the decklid. These cars passed down the assembly by the hundred each day. Some variation in how they reached the end of the line is to be expected. When preparing a car for concourse judging these will be the things they are looking for. Without solid documentation to support not having the items, they may deduct. The standard is based upon the averaging of known original cars not on the unique qualities of an individual car. If you have the documentation to support the traits of your car and judging is important to you make sure you have it. If judging is not important put the car back to the way you remember it and enjoy it.
That is why I quit going to MCA shows. I went and they gave me a list of all the things I would have to change that were original on the car. They were saying several fasteners were not right. They were not changed and the car was only 10 years old when shown.

I personally know that one of the well know head judges of MCA says things are original on one of his cars that were changed. The car came from here and was changed by the owner here but now MCA says it was stock and it for sure was not.

Every time I purchased a new car I was meticulous in not changing anything and If I did I kept the old part. When I bought my 20th. anniversary Mustang I spend days pulling all the stickers off and putting them on waxed paper and stored them. I gave them to my son with the car for future reference. There was probably 70 stickers that I removed. Again the dealer was not allowed to prep the car.

Proving anything to MCA is impossible they know everything and nobody else knows anything. One of the judges cars is on eBay right now for sale and is very incorrect but they say correct to MCA rules. Vert with side stripes, ram air and does not have honeycomb grill or black out headlight frames. It was a shame that MCA got started that way and created some very incorrect requirements on some models. If it had not been for some of the anniversary shows bringing in big money they would have folded up for lack of funds.

Just my opinion and everyone has one.

Back