Bad thoughts in my head

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grabber Green Mach 1
2013 Race Red California Special Convertible
1964 Corvette Convertible
I've had my Mach for 22 years now. I've averaged about 300 miles a year for a few years. I'm just not driving it. The kid starts college this year and he has no interest in old cars. My brain says sell it, or at least put in on the market and enjoy it until the right buyer comes along. The cash will finish my f100 and make a few tuition payments. I still have wifey's 2013 gt/cvs to drive when she lets me. There is also my dads 64 Vette for me to use.

I just don't know. We all know selling one of these things takes patience. It took 2 years to unload my 73 convertible a few years ago. How is the market? Really? Could I ever get my highly inflated "emotionally attached" price? It only costs me insurance and registration a year to keep it. I don't know

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

You've got to ask yourself what it'll feel like after not owning it for a while. Will you miss it? If you won't then sell. If you will (and you're a sentimental old fart like me) then you could spend a lot of time finding another like it.

I think Mark got it perfectly right.

Make sure sure it's not a "you don't know what you got till you lose it" situation. If you think you won't miss it, you can sell it.

BUT the simple fact that you posted this shows me that you are not sure about it.

when thoughts like that enter your brain go out the gerage look at your car and when you think about selling it jam a 6in screwdriver in your ear and turn it if that don't change your mind nothing will lollerz

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with previous post.

You might try this - move the car to a friend's or family member's garage. Leave it there for about a week. (Make sure your insurance covers it there!!!)

And then after that week if you have not missed the car - you have your answer.

Just an idea. Good luck!

Ray

Hi Rick,

What all the guys have said so far is spot on. But it's true, it comes down to how attached you are to that car, and what it really means to you. Only you can answer that, because that's a very personal thing. I only hope that whatever you decide to do, the final decision will sit OK with you down the track. If it doesn't, then that would be a shame indeed.

Greg.:)

My wife gets after me every once in a while to sell my 73 Convert. I reply that I look just as good driving it as anyone else would!

I have thought about selling it many times over the last 42 years, but so far I'm glad I've held onto it. One of these days I will pass it on to one of my kids or maybe even sell it.

Thanks guys. I'm just thinking out loud here. I think it's the stress of sending the kid off the college and coming up with a shit- ton of money to pay for it.

I started it today after its long winter nap. Felt good.

Thanks guys. I'm just thinking out loud here. I think it's the stress of sending the kid off the college and coming up with a shit- ton of money to pay for it.

When in doubt, put a crazy number on it and list it. No negotiation. If they want it they have to pay what YOU want because it is YOURS. You can try to sell it for whatever number YOU want, this is the USA. Capitalism rocks! Go for it...you have nothing to lose. Don't let anyone tell you what you CAN'T get for it. The worst time to sell is when you WANT to get rid of it or you NEED the money.

When in doubt, put a crazy number on it and list it. No negotiation. If they want it they have to pay what YOU want because it is YOURS. You can try to sell it for whatever number YOU want, this is the USA. Capitalism rocks! Go for it...you have nothing to lose. Don't let anyone tell you what you CAN'T get for it. The worst time to sell is when you WANT to get rid of it or you NEED the money.
Thanks Eric,

That's good advice for me as well with the position i'm in.:thankyouyellow:

Greg.:)

I can't imagine someone else owning and driving my Mustang. It's my second car and I have owned it for 30 or so years. We have spent so much time together on the road and in the garage. I just can't see someone else in possession of its fate.

When I get to the point I can't drive or work on it anymore I will be happy but reluctant to pass it on to someone else.

It might not be 'the last thing' I sold if I needed money but it is on the short list. :)

I end up parking it for most of the summer. It's hot here in Phoenix and since I removed the AC it's just not a great choice for driving around when the days are 100 plus degrees and the nights are in the lower 90's.

But when the weather cools off I get in the seat and my old mustang friend feels like a well worn glove. We have been through a lot together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly ebstang! Unfortunately, where ever I post it, someone here will find it and start snickering about the price and nit picking it. I do it all the time. I just bounced it off my wife after a few drinks. She said no, but sees my reasoning and the Corvette in my future. But she said no.

I've had my Mach for 22 years now. .. and he has no interest in old cars. The cash will finish my f100 and make a few tuition payments.
So, if I understand this reasoning, the reality is that if junior had any interest in the car it would not be for sale. What a shame that he isn't interested BUT it's your car because it was what you wanted. Keep it around till you want it again - that day will come and sooner than you think.

The money for the other things will show up somewhere.

Yes, I fell into the trap... I wasnt actively looking, but when I saw my car (soon to be) listed, the wheels started turning?.. The car was listed very high... Had to weigh the options on the high asking price, did I really want it? How to pay for it (I used my '73 vert as partial trade), did I really want to do another complete resto? Etc. Etc. From the seller's perspective, they held all the cards, they knew what they had, the rarity and potential value of the car. I negotiated the price down as much as possible, and closed the deal.

To backtrack a bit, I had a '71 429 Mach for 18 years and sold it in 2010. Soon after, I started to miss it, bought my '73 vert to try and appease the angst... Then this BB vert. came along and I told myself I would never have another opportunity like this, go for it. I should mention that I had recently added the '13 Boss LS to the garage, so a few pennies have been invested in my hobby within a 12 month span. Thank God for some good investing years ago, helped me live my dream today...

You just need to find someone that can attach themselves to your car (maybe you will find that person to be yourself!), like I chose to do. Good luck in your decision.

Welp, that's one way to look at it but there's a downside. The idea behind this is you know you don't wanna sell so you put a crazy price tag on it. But that doesn't answer the question do you want to sell it? What if someone is willing to pay that crazy price. It'll still be gone only for a higher amount.

The basic question remains: do I WANT to give it away in the first place. The amount you get in return has nothing to do with it.

If you know you can let it go then it is important to get as much money for it as possible. A huge amount will soften the blow a little but it can't decide for you!

Consider sending your kid to a community college whose credits transfer to a 4 year program at a local, or near by, state college. They end up with two degrees and you save a boat load of money. Education is like everything else, the size of the benefit is proportional to the effort you put into it. Going to a big name college and graduating with a large student loan debt means you may be educated but, have not developed good judgement. As for the car, you've already gotten good advice. If you do sell it and later want another, I'll sell you mine, at my asking price. ;) I say keep the car since it is obvious that you really enjoy having it, even if you don't drive it a lot. I have one that maybe sees 200 miles a year use but, would be one of the last things I'd sell if things turned really bad for me financially.

Chuck

Consider sending your kid to a community college whose credits transfer to a 4 year program at a local, or near by, state college. They end up with two degrees and you save a boat load of money. Education is like everything else, the size of the benefit is proportional to the effort you put into it. Going to a big name college and graduating with a large student loan debt means you may be educated but, have not developed good judgement. As for the car, you've already gotten good advice. If you do sell it and later want another, I'll sell you mine, at my asking price. ;) I say keep the car since it is obvious that you really enjoy having it, even if you don't drive it a lot. I have one that maybe sees 200 miles a year use but, would be one of the last things I'd sell if things turned really bad for me financially.

Chuck

That's right, send them to me (I'm a C.C. Dean), I can always find room.

Seriously, it is something you will have to decide. If it's a family member, then keep it. You don't trade off grandpa just because you don't visit so often, but if you think it is a crazy uncle, then put a price on there and sell.

I get offers at every show so I would say the market is ok.

Back