Back for the Summer after a terrible Mustang weekend.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumit

Reaction score
My Car
1973 351c coupe
Every year I try to fix a couple things before I begin the season. This year my boss offered to tune my carb for me in exchange for some yard work he needed done; he's really good with this stuff, has a track car he's always tuning.

To make a VERY long story short

•New accelerator pump diaphragm

•New distributor

•set timing (idled pretty good)

•Test drive

•small fire.... Timing was set at -12 not +12.... Fire extinguisher didn't work.....

•fire went out turns out ol' Dad didn't use high temp paint..

•old Ford tech pulls up, lives three doors down, sorts out my timing. GREAT

•back to home to do oil change

•boss didn't notice the old seal didn't come off... Big cleanup

•check sparkplug, drop sparkplug, break sparkplug

•top up the diff

• Good to Go

None of this was supposed to be complicated but sometimes luck just isn't on your side. What an exhausting day. I have to mention how good she runs though.

I hope you all come out of storage easier than I did and I'm looking forward to conversing with you guys again.::thumb::

Ouch. Mine came out of hibernation with a slipping AOD. It's been at the shop for three weeks now. Hope it gets ready by the end of the week.

I usually put together a list of things to accomplish on both my Mustang and my bike and I managed to complete most of the Mustang list but fell short on the Bike list manly because the riding season came early here in New England. Oh well winter will come again before you know it.

My car came out of storage just fine. Took some advance out of initial timing and leaned out the A/F mixture a bit as I was running a little rich. Nice to be able to punch in the numbers that I want without having to break out any tools. Had it up to around 80 and it just purred along.

Nice to know I'm not alone in this.

I went to meet up with a friend tonight I parked and noticed some light smoke coming from the hood. Turns out the power steering has decided to spring a leak all over all the hot stuff. (Of course) Gives me something to tinker with this week.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Well I do think it is always something there can goe wrong whit our old Cars. Your story have i heard before. But glad it ends good [WINKING FACE] Well I Haven't Even being out driving my own yet! Because of My wheell's is over at my body's garage! Hee has his Ford Hotrod up to bee drive testet. So hee can get it apruved for street juse. And ofcurs also can get apruved to build Hotrod's. 😎[THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

Sendt fra min E2303 med Tapatalk

Here in Phoenix it's a bit of the opposite. I drove it all winter and will barely drive it at all during the summer. I have a list of things I want to do and it basically involves pulling the engine/transmission out. I might put that off one more year and instead redo the suspension. What I will do is park it in the garage and on the weekends go work on it for a couple of hours in the morning before it gets 'too hot'.

I tend to drive mine once a week all year round as it stops things from seizing up. When there's ice / salt on the roads I'll start it up and drive it out of the garage and on to the drive a few times. I've done that with my other classic car for 15 years and that's seemed to work and keeps maintenance bills down.

One thing I like to do before taking any older vehicle out for a spin. I start it up and put the brakes on as hard as I can with both feet to put the most stress on the old steel and rubber lines along with seals. If it is going to blow one want it to be in the garage or driveway no coming up behind a school bus.

The reason I say school bus is that back in the 70's me and wife got in the 65 vert headed to work one morning. We had a Maverick, the 73 Mach 1, her 74 Nova SS and a 56 Ford to pick from, lol. I just wanted to run the vert some. Of course I live in the mountains and not many straight roads here. We came around a curve and there was a school bus stopped in the road. I hit the brake pedal and it went straight to the floor, only single chamber in 65 master cylinder. Well there are cars in the oncoming lane can't go there. I have a hot cup of coffee in my right hand I throw it in the floor on her side grab the 4 speed and pull it into second and pull up the emergency brake, NOT ENOUGH. I then go into the ditch, not too deep, up on a bank and up beside the bus and get stopped. This happened in about 2 seconds max. Buss pulled off and I backed out and turned around went home and got another car. When I rebuild that car one thing for sure not going to be stock. It is getting a dual reservoir master cylinder.

That is why I put the stress test on the brakes before I leave home.

One thing I like to do before taking any older vehicle out for a spin. I start it up and put the brakes on as hard as I can with both feet to put the most stress on the old steel and rubber lines along with seals. If it is going to blow one want it to be in the garage or driveway no coming up behind a school bus.

The reason I say school bus is that back in the 70's me and wife got in the 65 vert headed to work one morning. We had a Maverick, the 73 Mach 1, her 74 Nova SS and a 56 Ford to pick from, lol. I just wanted to run the vert some. Of course I live in the mountains and not many straight roads here. We came around a curve and there was a school bus stopped in the road. I hit the brake pedal and it went straight to the floor, only single chamber in 65 master cylinder. Well there are cars in the oncoming lane can't go there. I have a hot cup of coffee in my right hand I throw it in the floor on her side grab the 4 speed and pull it into second and pull up the emergency brake, NOT ENOUGH. I then go into the ditch, not too deep, up on a bank and up beside the bus and get stopped. This happened in about 2 seconds max. Buss pulled off and I backed out and turned around went home and got another car. When I rebuild that car one thing for sure not going to be stock. It is getting a dual reservoir master cylinder.

That is why I put the stress test on the brakes before I leave home.
I think I'd have to replace my driver seat after a day like that! [emoji1]

Back