New to me 73 convertible 302 auto

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spydajs

Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
Hello,

I just bought a red 73 convertible 302 engine with a white top and with white leather interior(I think its leather).The body and interior is what sold me.

A quick back story, Im doing work for this new customer and I commented on this car that was in there garage. The women says she will sell it to me for 7k if I wanted it. And obviously I bought it, thats why I'm here. lol

The car hasn't run since 2014 but only because the owner died. She said it ran well before he passed. Im waiting on a trailer to bring it home. Once I do I will have a lot more info.

This is my first classic so really my question is what is my logical next step?

Im planning on changing the fluids and battery and see if I can get it going

Is there anything I should watch out for?

Any advise or opinions are appreciated

Thx

Welcome!

The interior is probably not leather but you never know.

Two years isn't a super long time for one to sit. I would change out the engine oil and coolant. Check brake, transmission fluids. Gas and carb might be the hardest thing. The carb is almost certainly dry and it may have messed up some of the gaskets. Also the fuel pump may or may not work. I would fill the gas tank. I would replace the fuel filter. While you have the fuel line disconnected from the carb have someone crank the car and make sure you are getting fuel. I would add a line long enough to catch the fuel in a proper container. If it is flowing collect about a pint or so.

After that hook it back up and fire it up! Look for gas leaks. Take it for a test drive.

Welcome from NY state. Congrats on car! Show us pixs.

Sounds like you got a buy if not rusty. Welcome to the forum.

Since you do not really have the history of the maintenance done on the car I would do lots of checking. These cars do have a dual master cylinder so the chance of blowing both sides of the master cylinder is slim. Check the fluid and fill if needed. Look for signs of fluid running down the brake booster, if it has power brakes, or firewall. If there are signs of fluid the master cylinder needs work.

The next big thing that has changed in recent past is the fact that they put Methanol into our gas, sucks. The old rubber gas lines will come apart if not made to be methanol resistant. It is not much cost and just a little time to go ahead and change all the rubber lines. From tank to the metal line going to the front inner fender under the master cylinder. There is a loop of rubber line going from inner fender to line on fuel pump and some from fuel pump to filter on carburetor. Change them all and ask for the methanol resistant line at the parts store.

Since you have never had one of these cars if you take something off do not think you can go get a new one. Lots of parts are very hard to find so always be careful when removing parts. Things like the master cylinder if you have to replace keep the original if it is the Ford one. Replacements are different. You might want to remove the gas tank and look inside to see how it looks you can get them cleaned if it looks bad. I would put some Sta-Bil in the gas when you do fill it up that helps with any issues in the carburetor.

Hope it turns out to be a great car they are fun to own.

When parked in garage always unhook the battery. You can get a quick disconnect that you just flip a lever to disconnect. Always carry a fire extinguisher with you.

Welcome!

The interior is probably not leather but you never know.

Two years isn't a super long time for one to sit. I would change out the engine oil and coolant. Check brake, transmission fluids. Gas and carb might be the hardest thing. The carb is almost certainly dry and it may have messed up some of the gaskets. Also the fuel pump may or may not work. I would fill the gas tank. I would replace the fuel filter. While you have the fuel line disconnected from the carb have someone crank the car and make sure you are getting fuel. I would add a line long enough to catch the fuel in a proper container. If it is flowing collect about a pint or so.

After that hook it back up and fire it up! Look for gas leaks. Take it for a test drive.
Thank you Will e.

Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Like I may have said, Im new to working on cars in general, not just classics

Sounds like you got a buy if not rusty. Welcome to the forum.

Since you do not really have the history of the maintenance done on the car I would do lots of checking. These cars do have a dual master cylinder so the chance of blowing both sides of the master cylinder is slim. Check the fluid and fill if needed. Look for signs of fluid running down the brake booster, if it has power brakes, or firewall. If there are signs of fluid the master cylinder needs work.

The next big thing that has changed in recent past is the fact that they put Methanol into our gas, sucks. The old rubber gas lines will come apart if not made to be methanol resistant. It is not much cost and just a little time to go ahead and change all the rubber lines. From tank to the metal line going to the front inner fender under the master cylinder. There is a loop of rubber line going from inner fender to line on fuel pump and some from fuel pump to filter on carburetor. Change them all and ask for the methanol resistant line at the parts store.

Since you have never had one of these cars if you take something off do not think you can go get a new one. Lots of parts are very hard to find so always be careful when removing parts. Things like the master cylinder if you have to replace keep the original if it is the Ford one. Replacements are different. You might want to remove the gas tank and look inside to see how it looks you can get them cleaned if it looks bad. I would put some Sta-Bil in the gas when you do fill it up that helps with any issues in the carburetor.

Hope it turns out to be a great car they are fun to own.

When parked in garage always unhook the battery. You can get a quick disconnect that you just flip a lever to disconnect. Always carry a fire extinguisher with you.
Thats a lot of great advise, Thx David.

So I spent a few hours with it today. I checked all the spark plugs and put a little WD40 i the holes. Checked all my fluids, changed the battery, etc.

GUESS WhAT? It RUNS!

So David you saw this coming. The Master cylinder is leaking all over the booster.. Its appears to just be the rear reservoir thats loosing fluid

So I guess that will be my first real project with her.

Back