Weird turn signal issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterDog

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q-code
The right turn signal works fine, but the left stays on (no blinking). Checked/tested bulbs and ground. Replaced the relay. Could it be the switch?

Could be. Start removing left side bulbs one at a time and see if the blinking returns before replacing the switch. If it returns, that socket/bulb is suspect that you just removed.

I tested the brake/turn signal wires and got 12v constant on the left and the proper 12v on/off on the right. The problem has to be before the sockets.

Did you try removing the bulbs one at a time on the left side as Midlife mentioned while the turn signal is on? Every time I've seen this it has been a bulb issue.

Did you try removing the bulbs one at a time on the left side as Midlife mentioned while the turn signal is on? Every time I've seen this it has been a bulb issue.
I tested the feed wire (the signal/power PRIOR to the sockets) with a voltmeter and found the left to have constant 12v when the the signal stalk is on. However, the right signal feed wire has the pulsating 12V. This happens even when I remove every bulb.

The problem is that one bulb somewhere on the left has a short to ground, and the only way to easily find it is to remove them one by one.

The problem is that one bulb somewhere on the left has a short to ground, and the only way to easily find it is to remove them one by one.
I tried that but no dice. What else can I check? :chin:

I tried that but no dice. What else can I check? :chin:
The flasher is a thermally activated switch. The heat is produced by current flow. If there is not enough current flow there is not enough heat produced to open the switch but enough to make the bulb glow. Something is limiting current flow to the left side. It could be a wire that has several strands broken, corroded connections at the sockets or the switch, poor ground, or the wrong bulb.

Chuck

could be shorted inside the steering column on the turn signal switch.

do the flashers work both sides if the hazard switch is turned on?

are you using LEDs for the turn signals.?

Back