Power steering pump ERUPTION! [Update question]

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumit

Reaction score
My Car
1973 351c coupe
So my power steering pump spits fluid out of the fill tube with so much force that it has ejected the Dipstick.

I believe based on research that there is air in the system.

I jacked up the front and turned the wheel back and forth with the motor off. The level dropped so I topped it back up.

With the car still up, I started it and turned back and forth and fluid shot out again.

Do I need to use a vacuum pump to get the air out or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance!

[update with video]

Hey guys, so we tried the vacuum pump, we seemed to get fluid more than air. Came to the conclusion that all our work didn't bring us any farther.

We took this video to show the "ERUPTION"

Let me know what you all think.

[video=youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you install an inline filter with the new pump? Also did you flush the system prior to changing the pump. It sounds like there is a blockage somewhere that is letting some fluid pass (IE level goes down when you jack it up and turned wheels with car off) but is enough of a blockage that when pressure is applied it creates the volcano effect. If you did install a filter it might be partially or mostly blocked. Especially if you did not flush the system. When I replaced mine I flushed the system 3 times (IE used 3 times the capacity of the system) before I was satisfied that the fluid coming out was clean and like new. I got a lot of brown nasty looking fluid out. I used a hand vac pump to flush it while I had someone else in the car turning the wheel back and forth.

Did you install an inline filter with the new pump? Also did you flush the system prior to changing the pump. It sounds like there is a blockage somewhere that is letting some fluid pass (IE level goes down when you jack it up and turned wheels with car off) but is enough of a blockage that when pressure is applied it creates the volcano effect. If you did install a filter it might be partially or mostly blocked. Especially if you did not flush the system. When I replaced mine I flushed the system 3 times (IE used 3 times the capacity of the system) before I was satisfied that the fluid coming out was clean and like new. I got a lot of brown nasty looking fluid out. I used a hand vac pump to flush it while I had someone else in the car turning the wheel back and forth.
I didn't add a filter. I'll be thorough with the vacuum pump.

It's also possible the pressure relief valve, which returns excess fluid to the reservoir, is jammed open, causing most of the fluid to be routed into the reservoir.

I forgot to mention that the overflow seems to happen often when I shut off the motor. Don't know of it means anything.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

It's also possible the pressure relief valve, which returns excess fluid to the reservoir, is jammed open, causing most of the fluid to be routed into the reservoir.
I guess I'll know after I flush it.

Well I've got it under vacuum and a little fluid cam out. But she still reads full (just over actually.). But while I'm steering it back and fourth it sounds dry. Does this sound like a blockage or is the power steering pump done?

We ran the vacuum a few more times and got some "bubbly fluid" out. Decided to top her up and put the Dipstick back in and when testing back and four she spat a bunch of fluid out of the Dipstick again...

Maybe sell your power steering system to Starbucks. It looks like a very effective frothing tool in the video. I'm curious what is wrong, I have never seen anything like that.
The flash on the video made it look worse than it actually was. I think what Don C was saying about a relief valve inside may be the issue.

Pull the pump and rebuild it.. Kits are available.. While it's apart, clean everything and inspect for damage or blockage.. Cheaper than buying another pump..

What about the PS gearbox.. Has that been overhauled at all? Could possibly be a blown seal inside forcing fluid back up into the pump resivoir.. Just a thought.

I've rebuilt PS gear boxes that were full of rust, dirt and debris from older cars.. It happens.. You've already replace the pump once, that tells me there may be an issue somewhere else..

Pull the pump and rebuild it.. Kits are available.. While it's apart, clean everything and inspect for damage or blockage.. Cheaper than buying another pump..

What about the PS gearbox.. Has that been overhauled at all? Could possibly be a blown seal inside forcing fluid back up into the pump resivoir.. Just a thought.

I've rebuilt PS gear boxes that were full of rust, dirt and debris from older cars.. It happens.. You've already replace the pump once, that tells me there may be an issue somewhere else..
I like the idea of saving money but I think time saved may be worth the cost of the pump.

And your comment about the gearbox is why I kept posting. I'd hate to replace my pump and find out it wasn't the problem. The thing is though the pump just sounds terrible. It was quiet before all this. It's probably the pump then right?

Thanks for you suggestion.

The system is self purging.

Let the car sit for a while after cycling the steering wheel stop to stop, I'd say at least 10 minutes. Let the air rise to the top and burp itself. Top the reservoir off a LITTLE bit, and cycle the wheel while idling again. The fluid will look like there's fine metal shavings in it, and the pump will whine/groan until ALL of the air is out of the fluid. Fluid cannot be compressed, but air can... even when suspended in fluid.

The process may take a while, might have to do it 2 or 3 times, adding SMALL amounts each time. It does take somewhat of a LONG time for all billion of those little bubbles to go away. Until then, yes, the pump will continue to groan.

I've never seen one burp that bad though.

A little spew initially, but only till the air was out after initially overfilling while running.

Take your time, let the air rise, condense, and purge itself. If the belching continues or doesn't improve, then I'd either look for a reason for the pump to be sucking air, or just replace/rebuild.

(My guess is the pump will not need replaced since there were no issues before introducing air to the system...)

I don't think the box would be the issue here, although I've been wrong before (just ask my wife... ).

Let the car sit for a while after cycling the steering wheel stop to stop, I'd say at least 10 minutes. Let the air rise to the top and burp itself. Top the reservoir off a LITTLE bit, and cycle the wheel while idling again. The fluid will look like there's fine metal shavings in it, and the pump will whine/groan until ALL of the air is out of the fluid. Fluid cannot be compressed, but air can... even when suspended in fluid.

The process may take a while, might have to do it 2 or 3 times, adding SMALL amounts each time.

I've never seen one burp that bad.

A little spew initially, but only till the air was out after initially overfilling while running.

Take your time, let the air rise, condense, and purge itself. If the belching continues or doesn't improve, then I'd either look for a reason for the pump to be sucking air, or just replace/rebuild.

I don't think the box would be the issue here, although I've been wrong before (just ask my wife... ).
Ya this was a whole week affair. We're past the point of believing it will sort itself out unfortunately.

Thanks for your input. I don't think it's the rack either.[emoji106]

The process may take a while, might have to do it 2 or 3 times, adding SMALL amounts each time. It does take somewhat of a LONG time for all billion of those little bubbles to go away. Until then, yes, the pump will continue to groan.

I've never seen one burp that bad though.

(My guess is the pump will not need replaced since there were no issues before introducing air to the system...)

it might help to raise the wheels off the ground as you do the above

Back