Grill Mounted KC Driving Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

I have always loved the Shelby Mustang front grill mounted driving lights. Several forum members have installed several solutions that looks really good. Here is my take on it.

Lights: 6" SlimLite Halogen Pair Pack System

http://www.kchilites.com/light-type/halogen/slim-lite/6-slimlite-pair-pack-system.html

Aluminum: 2" x 1/8" x 36 strip cut to length to fit under the grill, between the ribs.

Hardware: I substituted the factory hardware with stainless steel - 3/8 x 1-1/4" -fine thread - with SS washers. Lock washer, and nut.

1967 Shelby

ok02sx.jpg

1973 Mustang Mounted Grill

35c0m6o.jpg

20iw9ee.jpg

Thanks,

mustang7173 :D

Hi David,

Not a bad look at all. I did notice that the driving lights on the Shelby are mounted closer together that what you ended up with. Was that because you preferred them slightly more separated looks wise?

Greg.:)

Austin Vert,

Yes. Plus I not did want to block the grill emblem and wanted to make sure I could reach the hood latch.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a very common mod back in-the-day... Right along with the hugh-jacker air shocks, N-50-15's in the back and Crager mags. Oh yeah - can't for get the add on 8-tracks, cassette players and CB radios! :)

Ray

Back in High School I mounted extra amber lights on the front valance. Between the turn signals, sport lamps, and amber lights that was a lot of yellow on the front. At the time I thought it was cool.

72 Mustang 008.jpg

bkdunha,

I know it looked cool when the head lights are off. The Mach 1 with just the parking lights on, is one tough looking car at dusk.

Thanks for sharing!

mustang7173

Looks pretty cool! I remember back in the day running rectangular cibies under the front bumper until I knocked them off in a parking lot! lol. Looked cool but didn't last long. Yours are much better positioned.

Scott

Yeah. One thing is it's not factory and second there are a bunch of rules regarding height, distance to outer fender line etc.

Blinkers are the same problem. Driving lights mustn't be yellow.... Etc, etc.

Your setup means the headlights are too far from the outside.

Sometimes it gets downright ridiculous. Friend of mine has an 1977 Jeep Renegade. Those have the small lights in the grille which are juuuust within the rules. Now my friend has those rubber lips on the fenders to accommodate wider tires aaaand ..... the small lights in the grille are now too far from the outside of the fender.

Registration revoked unless he removes the lights for inspection.

I remove the sport lamps from the grille too for inspection.

Those rules are also the reason why my lights/blinkers in the lower front valance are white. (see above "mustn't be yellow")

Most vintage Mustangs here have had the parking lights relocated into the headlights so they are white while the others are only blinkers which then can be yellow.

I could go on for hours. >:-(

mustang7173, that's a nice looking solution for some grill mounted driving lights. Definitely a unique look for the 71-73 grill area. I had always liked the front end of the 67 GT500 Shelby. They originally did have the center mounted lamps but ran into some trouble with some states DOT laws concerning the distance between the outer and center lamps. There were also some cooling issues that surfaced with the big block GT500's when equipped with the center lights. Those cars were still running the down flow radiator and not the more efficient cross flow like our 71-73's have.

As far as the inboard/outboard look, I like both. If someone had an orphan Shelby that needed a home, I'd take either!! Lol

67gt500.jpg

mustang yellow.jpg

Looks good!

My brother did a similar thing on his Mach. Mounted in place of the front license plate.

secluff,

Thank You. We need a barn find that some one says it is an old mustang for sale.

mustang7173

Yeah. One thing is it's not factory and second there are a bunch of rules regarding height, distance to outer fender line etc.

Blinkers are the same problem. Driving lights mustn't be yellow.... Etc, etc.

Your setup means the headlights are too far from the outside.

Sometimes it gets downright ridiculous. Friend of mine has an 1977 Jeep Renegade. Those have the small lights in the grille which are juuuust within the rules. Now my friend has those rubber lips on the fenders to accommodate wider tires aaaand ..... the small lights in the grille are now too far from the outside of the fender.

Registration revoked unless he removes the lights for inspection.

I remove the sport lamps from the grille too for inspection.

Those rules are also the reason why my lights/blinkers in the lower front valance are white. (see above "mustn't be yellow")

Most vintage Mustangs here have had the parking lights relocated into the headlights so they are white while the others are only blinkers which then can be yellow.

I could go on for hours. >:-(
This just blows my mind! I'm thankful I'm in America and we don't have to deal with such rules regulation and government intrusion to this level... I could go on but I'll pause..

I read on a forum somewhere where someone mounted a high intensity landing light from an airplane in their grill. I don't think it is legal for use on cars, as the intensity is super high! But...so long as you don't turn it on in traffic...

Back