Headers for 73 Mach1 Cobra Jet

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code Mach 1
IMG_20150729_124503.jpgFront Passenger Side.JPGHello fellow members. Have been reading through a couple of threads but didn't find the answer I was after, so here goes....

Have a 73 Mach1 with cobra jet engine and C6 transmission. Headers only clear the ground by 3.5 inches and are 1.5 inches below the next lowest part of the car. Wanting to replace headers to get my 5 inch clearance (springs already done). Can I get a survey from those who have the similar year and model on what headers you have and how is your clearance? I am about to spend some money to replace these headers but seeking a little wisdom from you all before I do.

Please and thanks.

The Hooker comps (not super comps) fit well and tuck up pretty well. Mine required no modification but, the passenger's side collector flange is close to the edge of transmission pan. My car is a 72 and your 73 has different engine mounts which may alter the fitment. What brand and make do you have now?

Chuck

The Hooker comps (not super comps) fit well and tuck up pretty well. Mine required no modification but, the passenger's side collector flange is close to the edge of transmission pan. My car is a 72 and your 73 has different engine mounts which may alter the fitment. What brand and make do you have now?

Chuck
I had the Hooker comps on my 73 and the collector flange was close to the pan too, clearance was good though.

Replaced with Super comp but there is not much clearance, I can get measurements if needed.

Not to hijack this thread...but

For those who have headers, do you notice an increase in exhaust noise?
If you were to install headers without any other change to the exhaust system you would notice more noise as the cast iron manifolds do a fairly good job of dampening noise.

So yes. How much more noise is a bit harder to quantify as most people not only add headers, but increase pipe size or add dual exhausts or put in higher flowing/less restrictive mufflers.

Headers alone with no other changes will not make a significant change to the amount of noise produced, but it will affect how you hear it.

Not to hijack this thread...but

For those who have headers, do you notice an increase in exhaust noise?
If you were to install headers without any other change to the exhaust system you would notice more noise as the cast iron manifolds do a fairly good job of dampening noise.

So yes. How much more noise is a bit harder to quantify as most people not only add headers, but increase pipe size or add dual exhausts or put in higher flowing/less restrictive mufflers.

Headers alone with no other changes will not make a significant change to the amount of noise produced, but it will affect how you hear it.
I do have an aftermarket dual exhaust (larger pipes), but don't know the brand.

The best headers in my opinion for are cars hands down are maid by Ford Powertrain Application.

This past year I have installed 2 sets of headers. 1 pair of Hookers comps on SDstangs vert and 1 set of FPA's on my brothers 70 Boss 302.

The Hooker 351c 2v comps have clearance issues with the trans on both sides and with out doubt are the lowest thing under the car. The flange at the cylinder head are not finished off very well. The headers are bent inwards in the direction of the trans for no apparent reason. I would be concerned with heat from the header next to the trans pan.

I feel the 351 2v hookers are maid for the 67-70 Mustangs with the smaller engine bays.

From the research I have done the Hooker comps for the 351c 4v seem to fit a little better around the trans.

The quality of the FPA headers are on another level from the Hookers. The flanges and welds are finished off beautifully. The ball collector just makes scene not to leak. These headers are not mass built. Stan builds them for your car.

I installed a set of FPA headers on my brothers 70 Boss 302 no clearance problems at all. The clutch Z bar went right in. These headers don't hang down at all.

I just got my FPA headers for my 351c 4v this past week. I also got a Blue thunder intake from Stan. This guy is a stand up guy. Just one thing, these headers are not cheap! By the looks of your Mach 1 it would be worth the investment.

Give Stan a call at Ford Powertrain Application 253-848-9503

fordpowertrain.com

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

I have heard good things about the Hooker Comps. I really wanted to go with Sanderson but have read a lot of mixed reviews about their quality and customer service. But reading above, I'm certainly going to look into the FPA..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard good things about the Hooker Comps. I really wanted to go with Sanderson but have read a lot of mixed reviews about their quality and customer service. But reading above, I'm certainly going to look into the FPA..
Here's the other ceramic coating flavor you can get from Stan @ Ford Performance Applications (FPA). These headers are the "Restoration Gray Ice" color. I like a more subtle sleeper look...and these ones actually have a higher temperature rating on the ceramic coating.

restoration gray ice.jpg

carb and headers.jpg

That's the color I have. More subtle and closer to the factory exhaust manifold color.

Hello again. Sorry, been out of town. Really appreciate the info. The headers I have now are Hooker Comp as per the tag. My concern in replacing old Hooker Comp with new Hooker Comp is I accomplish nothing but lightening the bank account and end up at the same place. Will have a look at the FPA recommendations for sure and let you know how I make out. Any comments on experienced performance difference switching from Hooker to FPA?

They both flow well. You're maybe taking about a few +/- HP that really translates into no gains on the street. For better clearance talk to Stan at FPA. I don't have any clearance issues with my super comps on my 71 with a 351C but others do. I purchased mine around ten years ago so maybe that's why.

I've always understood you also can't go wrong with FPA. I had FPA on my 70 with a 302 and the fit was nice and tight to the underside. No fitment issues.

Back