Camshaft request issues..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
So, I filled out a camshaft request form from Comp Cams..(hydraulic roller) This will be for a 427w (dart block- 4" stroke/4.125" bore). The cam they recommended is 220/224 @ .050".? The cam they recommended for my 393w in my (daily driven) '68 is 232/240 @ .050". With an additional 34 cubic inches, I was just going to add 4' to my current cam (236/244 @ .050") and call it a day. Is this wrong?

The car is a (daily driver) '73 Mach-1 with 3.50 gears, TKO-600 5-speed and 275/40-17's in the back. The motor is a 427w 10:1 compression AFR-205 (maybe 220's), edelbrock Air gap intake and I'm thinking a 750-Holley. Am I in the right direction? Thanks..

Mike

I guess I need to clarify my question. If I like the " characteristics" of the cam in my 393w (totally streetable with a slight lope), would I get the same " characteristics" (RPM range and idle) by adding 4' to the existing cam for the larger motor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry.. I should have included that.. Yes, hydraulic roller. I was thinking something in the neighborhood of 236/244 @ .050 540/550-112'.

I don't need to spin it more than 6000rpm due to valve float. Again, this is a daily driver..

I'm sure you will get some other opinions that are more knowledgeable, but my initial impression is that what you think is a good target probably is pretty damn close to right. You could perhaps benefit from a bit less duration since you are building it purely for the street, but with the extra cubib inches, I think you have some leeway in that regard

Thank you.. I appreciate any help I can get. I'm purely using my current setup as a guide.

Sorry but i have no idea what your question is.

Also, if you want a cam recommendation it will help to know if you plan to stick with those gears and if you want a moderate or nasty idle.

Also, do you want a hydraulic or solid roller.

Here are a couple of builds that may help. I will likely be going with the lesser of the two. He's local to me.

http://www.smedingperformance.com/ford/
Thank you,

like the power output of both. my only concern about the larger stup would be drivability..
Precisely why I am choosing the 460 HP one. I have heard the 550 HP run and it is pretty wild.

like the power output of both. my only concern about the larger stup would be drivability..
you will get better answers if you provide more info.

Here are a couple of builds that may help. I will likely be going with the lesser of the two. He's local to me.

Thank you,

Precisely why I am choosing the 460 HP one. I have heard the 550 HP run and it is pretty wild.
Good to know. I'm that case, I may just stick with the cam I have in my 393w (232/240). Thanks..

Thank you,

If you are referring to the cam below, unfortunately it would be far from optimal for the op's application . He needs to have around .600" of lift to make good use of those heads and engine size . The Comp XE, Lunati Voodo, and Howards cams would be the ones I would use.

Camshaft: Custom ground hydraulic roller .508”/.532” lift 222°/232° duration @.050”

Thank you,

If you are referring to the cam below, unfortunately it would be far from optimal for the op's application . He needs to have around .600" of lift to make good use of those heads and engine size . The Comp XE, Lunati Voodo, and Howards cams would be the ones I would use.

Camshaft: Custom ground hydraulic roller .508”/.532” lift 222°/232° duration @.050”

I referred him to the link as it gave a couple of output examples of cam/head/intake combos. Nothing more. In my view his heads support an output level he is likely not desiring.

Calling Comp Cams, and many others, is like calling Summit/Jegs for a cam recommendation, in my opinion. You will be asked for a lot of information but, I suggest you contact Bullet Cams and tell them what you do want and what you don't want from the car. In my opinion, you are much closer than CC is. I would change the LSA from 112 to 110 with a Windsor head. Just my opinions. Best of luck, Chuck

I referred him to the link as it gave a couple of output examples of cam/head/intake combos. Nothing more. In my view his heads support an output level he is likely not desiring.

I don't know exactly what output levels he is desiring . I asked him a few questions to try and narrow it down but he has not replied to them . I saw he had a 232 duration cam in his 393 and based on how that performed he wanted a little more duration for the 427 . The first cam I posted actually had less duration than that but most likely has more lift than his 232 cam if it is a comp cam.

Using more lift to match the heads and cubic inches doesn't have to mean that it will be extremely at idle because this can be achieved with varying amounts of duration.

The Howards cams almost always have a greater lift intensity than the comps and lunatis i mentioned which were both designed by the same person, which creates good power down low and is one of the reasons i often prefer to use them.

I don't know exactly what output levels he is desiring . I asked him a few questions to try and narrow it down but he has not replied to them . I saw he had a 232 duration cam in his 393 and based on how that performed he wanted a little more duration for the 427 . The first cam I posted actually had less duration than that but most likely has more lift than his 232 cam if it is a comp cam.

Using more lift to match the heads and cubic inches doesn't have to mean that it will be extremely at idle because this can be achieved with varying amounts of duration.

The Howards cams almost always have a greater lift intensity than the comps and lunatis i mentioned which were both designed by the same person, which creates good power down low and is one of the reasons i often prefer to use them.

Given he is suggesting AFR 205's, combined with the link I provided above (specific link to the AFR 205 equipped engine below) indicating 550+ HP I am thinking he is headed over the top in head design if he wants a nice streetable car, as he suggests. The characteristics provided in the description would seem to indicate so as well.

http://www.smedingperformance.com/ford/427+Cobra+Special+560+Horsepower.html

I suggested something along the lines of this engine below might be a better fit. With a near 500+ ft-lb torque curve from 2500 - 5000 rpm it would seem to be a very good street engine.

http://www.smedingperformance.com/ford/427+Windsor+460+Horsepower.html

Given he is suggesting AFR 205's, combined with the link I provided above (specific link to the AFR 205 equipped engine below) indicating 550+ HP I am thinking he is headed over the top in head design if he wants a nice streetable car, as he suggests. The characteristics provided in the description would seem to indicate so as well.

http://www.smedingperformance.com/ford/427+Cobra+Special+560+Horsepower.html

I suggested something along the lines of this engine below might be a better fit. With a near 500+ ft-lb torque curve from 2500 - 5000 rpm it would seem to be a very good street engine.

http://www.smedingperformance.com/ford/427+Windsor+460+Horsepower.html
Sorry, not sure what you are saying, but in my experience, his combo is best off with a high lift cam as I suggested.

Also, the 205 headed engine you posted is using a victor intake which has significantly less bottom end power than the rpm intake he is running . an engine should be built as a package where all the parts compliment each other.

Back