Map light options?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Well after learning that the map lights are not repop and OEM'S are made of GOLD!!!! There has to be other diy options other than the light delete.

What have you guys done?? Pictures??? My first thought is buy the delete plate and dome light bezel. Cut the delete plate and fit the bezel resesed. Otherwise idea would be use a cougar map light the same way.

Thanks

Wade

Well after learning that the map lights are not repop and OEM'S are made of GOLD!!!! There has to be other diy options other than the light delete.

What have you guys done?? Pictures??? My first thought is buy the delete plate and dome light bezel. Cut the delete plate and fit the bezel resesed. Otherwise idea would be use a cougar map light the same way.

Thanks

Wade
No one??????

Yea I believe the 71-3 Cougar center map light is the same rare animal.

I have bigger fish to fry but I was thinking of mounting a 69-70 stang

under dash bulb assembly there and switching out the delete plate

to a opayic white part and be done.

I was going to ask Midlife if the console harness has the plug on

map delete cars.

Paul

map delete cars.

Paul
All 71/73's have a plug on the underdash harness for the map. The 69/70's do as well, but it is much different and located on the far right side.

I snagged a map lamp assembly off of a full-sized Ford from the time period, and it almost seems to be the right size. Has anyone looked at this type of alternative?

Thanks guys. I will keep everyone posted on what I figure out. The only reason I am looking at this now is that the dash is out of the car and I am ready to put it back together. No problem pulling it again at a later date but I would rather be done with it.

Paul,

Are you saying put a piece of white opaque plastic over the entire area that the delete plate covers and then mounting the light behind it somehow?

Thanks

Wade

map delete cars.

Paul
All 71/73's have a plug on the underdash harness for the map. The 69/70's do as well, but it is much different and located on the far right side.

I snagged a map lamp assembly off of a full-sized Ford from the time period, and it almost seems to be the right size. Has anyone looked at this type of alternative?
Randy, I do not think that plug is in all 71-3's

I believe that only came on cars as part of an option group

Last edited by a moderator:

map delete cars.

Paul

Every underdash 7123 harness I've worked on (nearly 50 so far) have this three pin plug. Do you have an example where the plug is not part of the underdash?

Every underdash 7123 harness I've worked on (nearly 50 so far) have this three pin plug. Do you have an example where the plug is not part of the underdash?
Randy, I don't want to step on your toes or start a peeing match here.

I just don't want guys taking their dash apart looking for wiring that is not there. I think it was part of a convenience group.

The map light plug is not on every harness - the map light plug is a three pin plug on about a foot long or so long lead of wire. It runs up the left side of the center dash bezel and ends up high by the dash pad.

I think they all have the console three pin plug - it is a short lead by the heater / radio plugs.

Also there is older thread on here about one of the guys making the wiring out of a 3 or 4 pin trailer plug. I think Iyman - one of the moderators figured out how to make it.

Randy, I don't want to step on your toes or start a peeing match here.

I just don't want guys taking their dash apart looking for wiring that is not there. I think it was part of a convenience group.

The map light plug is not on every harness - the map light plug is a three pin plug on about a foot long or so long lead of wire. It runs up the left side of the center dash bezel and ends up high by the dash pad.

I think they all have the console three pin plug - it is a short lead by the heater / radio plugs.

Also there is older thread on here about one of the guys making the wiring out of a 3 or 4 pin trailer plug. I think Iyman - one of the moderators figured out how to make it.
My dash is out and I searched for the plug with print in hand. No success. But my car is a late year, July 1973.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Don:

You may be right; I've always assumed that the three pin (ground, green/yellow, and blue/red wires) was the clock/map light plug, what you're calling the console plug. I just checked the schematics and the three pin plug I'm referring to is for the clock. You are right, and I was wrong.

Just call me an ol' dog that can learn new tricks.

Anyone thought of using the map light delete panel and installing a flush mount LED light?
I am considering doing just that. I was going to look at what I need to do this weekend. I will post up a plan and to get some input before I go cutting anything. I was thinking about making a "delete panel" to use for the light retro fit so as not to be cutting up the original delete panel.

Anyone thought of using the map light delete panel and installing a flush mount LED light?
I am considering doing just that. I was going to look at what I need to do this weekend. I will post up a plan and to get some input before I go cutting anything. I was thinking about making a "delete panel" to use for the light retro fit so as not to be cutting up the original delete panel.
Jason,

Yes please post a write up when you have something. I was thinking same thing on the delete panel I am not sure where to get the material and what material to get.

Thanks

Wade

Back