Plastic Protectors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDK

Reaction score
My Car
1971 MACH 1
OK guys, I have seen these before but do not know how they are installed. Black plastic pieces kinda look like an L shape that go below the windshield and up against the fender. I think they were used for keeping the hood from rubbing the fender when closing. How do these install????? Anyone have a pic?? Also think they were 71 specific....

BDK

OK guys, I have seen these before but do not know how they are installed. Black plastic pieces kinda look like an L shape that go below the windshield and up against the fender. I think they were used for keeping the hood from rubbing the fender when closing. How do these install????? Anyone have a pic?? Also think they were 71 specific....

BDK
This piece?

Last edited by a moderator:

BDK
This piece?
That's it Eddy....do you have a better pic of it installed?

From the limited information I have, the use of these parts stopped in mid to late January, 1972. This is by no means completely vetted information but, it is the most information I've ever discovered on the subject. Chuck

From the limited information I have, the use of these parts stopped in mid to late January, 1972. This is by no means completely vetted information but, it is the most information I've ever discovered on the subject. Chuck
Kinda what my research led me to as well Chuck. Do you know of any good pics showing how they install?

BDK

My understanding is that they were phased out half way through the 1st year production run. These pieces were much to fragile to make any real difference and I think Ford caught on quickly. I reinstalled the one good one I had and reinstalled a partial one (half was missing when I disassembled the car) on the other side, next to impossible to find the pieces...

Ford kept it simple with the name on these. Simply called them Front Fender Fillers. My info states that they were no longer production installed after 5/31/71. The service parts were discontinued 10/72. My early 71 Mach1 (9/21/70) was 10 years old when I acquired it in 81, and only had fragments of them left. Like Pastel Blue stated, they never really did what the engineers intended, and their longevity was about the same as the hood rear and upper rear fender moldings. To find any good ones now you would almost need a time machine! :D

BDK
This piece?
No...sorry, i take photos everywhere i was for parts in Belgium and Netherlands to become extra information about your Mustangs to rebuilt mine Mustang back together (buy mine Mustang in carton and plastic boxes).

If you ever go to a Mustang grave yard... take pictures !!!

This piece?
No...sorry, i take photos everywhere i was for parts in Belgium and Netherlands to become extra information about your Mustangs to rebuilt mine Mustang back together (buy mine Mustang in carton and plastic boxes).

If you ever go to a Mustang grave yard... take pictures !!!
Thanks all, appreciate the info. on these. I have a pair but just not exactly sure how to install...will keep working on it and may not install too...

BDK

Hi, I'm in the same boat, 1 good, 1 broken. They were only on early 71's as far as I know. I would only replace the broken one If I ever came across one and I'm not holding my breath. Doing a Concours like Pastel Blue is, different story. I took a couple of pictures if they help. The top just has 1 screw, but the bottom has two, but only 1 can be accessed through the door opening. The other MAY be reached with tiny fingers and an offset driver... maybe!! 1 screw would likely be enough to hold it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I'm in the same boat, 1 good, 1 broken. They were only on early 71's as far as I know. I would only replace the broken one If I ever came across one and I'm not holding my breath. Doing a Concours like Pastel Blue is, different story. I took a couple of pictures if they help. The top just has 1 screw, but the bottom has two, but only 1 can be accessed through the door opening. The other MAY be reached with tiny fingers and an offset driver... maybe!! ! screw would likely be enough to hold it.
Awesome Stang!...just what I was looking for.

BDK

Hi, I'm in the same boat, 1 good, 1 broken. They were only on early 71's as far as I know. I would only replace the broken one If I ever came across one and I'm not holding my breath. Doing a Concours like Pastel Blue is, different story. I took a couple of pictures if they help. The top just has 1 screw, but the bottom has two, but only 1 can be accessed through the door opening. The other MAY be reached with tiny fingers and an offset driver... maybe!! 1 screw would likely be enough to hold it.
Awesome Stang!...just what I was looking for.

BDK
You're welcome. Lets us know how it works out for you.

If anyone has a spare LEFT side in good shape they don't need, I might be interested in buying it.

Geoff.

Yes, I have been searching for a passenger side one for my restoration, no luck. I wound up putting what was left of the original back on the car, basically the top piece you can see on the fender (engine compartment) and a small piece screwed to the inside fender. The rest was gone. The driver side was perfect... I would still purchase the passenger side if I could locate, albeit a little late now as the fender has been reinstalled and fitted. Good luck in your search.

There are two versions of these

There is a long and a short version

Before you toss out a "broken" one make sure it isn't the short version

Back