Sound deadener - Spray on & brush on?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

I have been researching this for a while now... On many boards to get a consensus on what to use when reapplying after a restoration. Like other topics, this illicits many different opinions...

Under the car, was definitely some type of fairly thick "spray on" sound deadener at the factory. Can anyone definitively provide a product name that emulates the factory product and that I can purchase today? As for the car interior, again, it may have been the same product applied, but it had more of a "flow" property to it, when protecting welds and seams. For me at this stage, it is important to find and apply the correct product...

What say thee...

Lizard Skin is very popular and I have heard it is a great product to use. I personally went with stick, but only because a friend did his car and had enough left over to do mine as well. But if that situation had not presented itself and I had to do it over again, I would use spray on. The stuff on the welds and seams would be seam sealer that can be found in a 3m product as well as others I am sure. You would scrape off all the old stuff and apply new sealer, then spray your sound deadener over it once dry. This should provide for a very quiet ride versus factory not so quiet deadener.

http://www.lizardskin.com/

http://3mcollision.com/products/sealants

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input. To clarify my post, I did use the spray on 3M seam sealer during the paint stage. My car had a lot of factory seam sealer on the interior applied after painting, so I will be looking to emulate via the brush on route. I had not given consideration to products like lizard skin, as I am focused on factory original. Having said this, factory original is important where it can be viewed by the naked eye, so something like lizard skin in hidden areas after reassembly is a good thing also to give the car that improved upgrade via today's technology. I am looking at the 3M spray on sound deadener that can be "built up" by additional applications, again, to emulate the factory application on visible areas of my car. There doesn't appear to be lots of options out there when looking to address factory original sound deadened applications, will have to work with what's available while looking to update to today's standards where possible (and not readily evident upon close inspection). I want to get this part right before I move onto final reassembling the rest of the car... Cheers

I also used Lizard skin and liked the way it came out. I did the whole interior with the sound deadner and with the ceramic coating on top of that to cut down on the interior heat on the floorboard and roof. After running the car on hot days you feel the heat on your legs as you step out of the car coming from the exhaust pipes while its still running however the floor boards are still cool. Since I had some insulation left I also coated the inside of both fenders and then painted it black. It gave the sheet metal a more solid feel when you knock on it as well as the roof panel.

Thanks for the input. To clarify my post, I did use the spray on 3M seam sealer during the paint stage. My car had a lot of factory seam sealer on the interior applied after painting, so I will be looking to emulate via the brush on route. I had not given consideration to products like lizard skin, as I am focused on factory original. Having said this, factory original is important where it can be viewed by the naked eye, so something like lizard skin in hidden areas after reassembly is a good thing also to give the car that improved upgrade via today's technology. I am looking at the 3M spray on sound deadener that can be "built up" by additional applications, again, to emulate the factory application on visible areas of my car. There doesn't appear to be lots of options out there when looking to address factory original sound deadened applications, will have to work with what's available while looking to update to today's standards where possible (and not readily evident upon close inspection). I want to get this part right before I move onto final reassembling the rest of the car... Cheers
There are a lot of good threads talking about materials and procedures to use to emulate factory sound deadeners on the concours mustang forum. Some areas are spray-on and others were brushed.

There are a lot of good threads talking about materials and procedures to use to emulate factory sound deadeners on the concours mustang forum. Some areas are spray-on and others were brushed.
Thanks Midlife, have viewed this info as well. What I found on that site is the '71/3's are not well represented... I will leave it at that. The 429 Forum has some info also. I have really good original pictures of the factory application from my car before the restoration. I learned today that Canadian standards are different then the US, with respect to what spray on product is available for sale here. I did find some product today locally, I am going to play with it for a while to see if I can get it to flow/ look similar to the factory application. At this point, I am only concerned with the underneath portions of the car, I will address the interior separately later.

Back