Door glass mounting bolts and nuts instead of rivets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hey guys,

as generally know our 73 models have the front window glass attached to the regulator plate with rivets instead of nuts and bolts. Thanks to the original bad design (why...?!?) I had to grind them away to get my glass out of the doors.

In preparing the assembly in a few months I look for missing parts or what I have to change. As I know the 71/72 models used to have nuts instead of rivets.

Which parts do I need to reassemble the window glasses and who has them?

Here I found some on ebay

http://www.ebay.de/itm/121975860965?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true

Are they the correct ones to get out of my misery? Does anybody of you have a full set left and right?

Thanks very much

I'm trying to understand why you had to grind the rivets out ? I've always pulled the glass with the bracket attached.

I'm trying to understand why you had to grind the rivets out ? I've always pulled the glass with the bracket attached.
I took my rivets off to get the window in and out a little easier. At the time I didn't want to scratch the glass. I also saw it suggested somewhere in a previous thread.

When I was doing my build I tried removing the window with the brackets on and could not do it. Maybe if I tried harder it could be done but by removing the rivets the whole procedure was simple. Getting the correct bolts that was used in earlier years was not a problem and reassembly was a breeze. Just made sense to do this for me.

When I was doing my build I tried removing the window with the brackets on and could not do it. Maybe if I tried harder it could be done but by removing the rivets the whole procedure was simple. Getting the correct bolts that was used in earlier years was not a problem and reassembly was a breeze. Just made sense to do this for me.
That was the reason I had to do it also. I tried it 3 hours to get the window with the bracket out - no chance! I could not understand how one could built such a bad design! In 71/72 the had nuts, why not in 73?!?

A friend of mine said he get it with the bracket still one but only with two persons. One had to pull the front and back sheet metal with a lots of power apart by hand so the other could get the window out. Same by assembling back. Never tried that and he said it to me after I removed the rivets with a drilling tool...

Back