Missing part in under hood light assembly?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hi guys,

in parallel to sanding and welding I bought a original 1973 under hood light assembly which my Mustang had originally. It seemed overally complete but one thing I found a bit irritating: how was the bulb held in place against the outer metal socket? In my socket there is a only a hole with a metal contact. I have the suspicion that there was a spring loaded part once. Any suggestions?

Under the single center contact is an insulating fiber washer, underneath that is a coiled spring inside the socket.

This keeps the contact tight against the bottom contact of the bulb and holds the bulb locked in place. I've seen the springs rust and fail. I haven't looked for a replacement but I'm sure you could find one in a new fixture perhaps at a truck stop or any place that carries automotive lights like a trailer place also.

Under the single center contact is an insulating fiber washer, underneath that is a coiled spring inside the socket.

This keeps the contact tight against the bottom contact of the bulb and holds the bulb locked in place. I've seen the springs rust and fail. I haven't looked for a replacement but I'm sure you could find one in a new fixture perhaps at a truck stop or any place that carries automotive lights like a trailer place also.
Thank you very much to clarify! Now I know that there is missing a part... SH**! So I have to separate the ceramic part which holds again the metal part from each other...

Back