Front Window guides

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Ok, from the recent threads I have seen on the forum the window guides are not reproduced that I know of. Since I am a retired Automotive Tooling Engineer I thought I would see what I could do.

Does anyone out there know of someone doing reproductions for the Upper Guide #22362 in the service manual & Lower Guide #222A92 also service manual #. I saw that someone found the Anti Rattle inserts 223A58 is that true?

I have reviewed the parts with a friend that owns a Mold Shop and we are probably going to do a mold for the parts if there is enough interest in obtaining new guides. The windows get loose over time rattle when you open and close the doors and rattle in the down position.

I am looking for your comments especially from Don @ Ohio Mustang.

IS IT A NEEDED PART?

WHAT DO YOU THINK A FAIR PRICE WOULD BE PER DOOR?

DOES THE ANTI RATTLE INSERT ALSO NEED TO BE MADE?

Obviously I am not going to open a Mustang parts business too many already. I would sell the parts to current vendors to resale and would make them available to the forum members for their use only.

Steve is the Cougar the same parts? Can you get me the Ford service part numbers? Would they be used on any other Ford vehicles.

Thanks for your comments maybe I can do better than some of the China stuff you see now. It would be a glass filled nylon material that is what it looks like now. Good wearing and not fragile.

DSC_2379.JPG

David, unfortunately the part numbers for these parts was unique to the 71-73 Mustang and Cougar only. If they had a truck or another car line application then there probably would of been a better chance of the parts still being available from Ford. I was really surprised when Mustang7173 posted about finding some anti rattle inserts recently. To my knowledge the guides are not being made and your at the mercy of the E-Bay/used parts market.

Upper guide#..............................D1ZZ-6522362-A

Lower guide#..............................D1ZZ-65222A92-B

Anti-Rattle inserts for lower guide..D1ZZ-65223A58-A

Don would probably be a good one to contact, I'm sure he fields a lot of availability questions on any given day. I would trust his opinion on something like this as to your cost vs a fair retail price. An American made part....you can put me down for two complete sets!! Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help or any other info you need!;)

I'd bet they could be 3D printed. My son in college is heavy into 3D printing, I'll ask him about the feasibility of doing these.

I'd bet they could be 3D printed. My son in college is heavy into 3D printing, I'll ask him about the feasibility of doing these.
We tried 3-D printing for prototypes but you cannot get the materials you need for the strength. It takes seconds to mold and several minutes to print plus you need the 3-D model. The printers were ok for making something to hold in your hand and look at but not very functional.

He said we could 3D print to create a positive for a mold if needed, then use a 2 part mix plastic of the correct type to reproduce them. Will take some research for the correct plastic. I believe the originals were injection molded

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

He said we could 3D print to create a positive for a mold if needed, then use a 2 part mix plastic of the correct type to reproduce them. Will take some research for the correct plastic. I believe the originals were injection molded

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
One of the high end printers that can print nylon could do the job. If this is a part gap you could have protomold run a short run of them and recoup the cost

When the parts were made originally they had long strand glass fibers in the material. The 3-D printing process does not have this capability at this time. The Glass keeps the parts from breaking and were used in high stress areas. The printed parts would probably break the first time you cycled the window.

The machine work for the mold is straight forward and once the mold is made it will last for thousands of parts.

The process to make the parts is pretty simple. You heat up the material in the barrel of the mold press and inject into the mold. Once cooled then you open the mold and eject the parts. The cost is in making the tool and the machine time for the molding.

If it was a production part it would less than $.10 each but you are looking at a limited audience to pay for the tooling and the processing.

This type of job might be just the thing for the rapid prototyping/rapid molding process. Make a mold of an original to develop the master part, but try to get an NOS item to eliminate trying to correct for wear over the years. Also, even an NOS item could suffer from shrinkage after 40 years.

Injection molding is still a possibility using the new urethane molding materials. The injection mold can be made far, far cheaper and faster using urethane versus the original metal molds.

Going to take the parts and one of the tube guides and set down and review with Jim. If there are no suppliers of the repo parts then we will probably go with the mold. It will be as made originally. No printing injection molded. The part I was looking at had cavity #13 on it so they made lots of them fast.

I do not know what Jim's schedule is but will update. I am very busy with building shop right now. Always something to keep the heart beating.

That's awesome. I might be down for a set too.

The part I've been looking for is the roller that goes on the ball rivet on the adjuster arm. My driver side is good. My passenger side is missing. Just has the rivet. I've felt and vacuumed the inside door in hopes it was down there. I tried the previous years rollers but it's just slightly too small. We took the one off the driver side and scanned it in to a CAD system. Going to print one out and see if it works one of these days.

An update on window guides. The guy with the shop does not feel there will be enough demand to tool the parts. I am going to talk with another guy next week he can scan and cut the mold also.

What do you guys feel would be fair price $25.00 per door for the upper, lower and the two rattle clips? Just trying to see if I am going to loose my butt on this deal.

An update on window guides. The guy with the shop does not feel there will be enough demand to tool the parts. I am going to talk with another guy next week he can scan and cut the mold also.

What do you guys feel would be fair price $25.00 per door for the upper, lower and the two rattle clips? Just trying to see if I am going to loose my butt on this deal.
Your not past my price threshold......so I'm still in. Just let us know how things go with you new contact. ::thumb::

David,

Could he do aluminum inserts in a MUD base? That may be a little cheaper. What % of glass filled are you looking at?
Scott,

Was going to cook one of the old pieces down and see how much glass was in it. Not 100% sure it is glass filled but has the look of glass filled.

Yes wanted to do a MUD insert but also want it to be a family mold for all four parts I don't know what size MUD bases he has. Going to look at Alu. with hard anodize and also jut a CR A & B plate.

For those members not into molding MUD is acronym for Master Unit Die. You do not have to build the entire mold with base you only buy inserts that slip into a standard MUD base.

A mold shop in Florida carried this concept even farther Security Plastics. They had huge machines that could run I think 20 + different parts each shot. They were automatically sorted and de gated, was pretty much a lights out shop. I use to build some tools for they that were only 2" in diameter. Would only get a few hundred dollars for the mold could build in a couple days.

Ok, from the recent threads I have seen on the forum the window guides are not reproduced that I know of. Since I am a retired Automotive Tooling Engineer I thought I would see what I could do.

Does anyone out there know of someone doing reproductions for the Upper Guide #22362 in the service manual & Lower Guide #222A92 also service manual #. I saw that someone found the Anti Rattle inserts 223A58 is that true?

I have reviewed the parts with a friend that owns a Mold Shop and we are probably going to do a mold for the parts if there is enough interest in obtaining new guides. The windows get loose over time rattle when you open and close the doors and rattle in the down position.

I am looking for your comments especially from Don @ Ohio Mustang.

IS IT A NEEDED PART?

WHAT DO YOU THINK A FAIR PRICE WOULD BE PER DOOR?

DOES THE ANTI RATTLE INSERT ALSO NEED TO BE MADE?

Obviously I am not going to open a Mustang parts business too many already. I would sell the parts to current vendors to resale and would make them available to the forum members for their use only.

Steve is the Cougar the same parts? Can you get me the Ford service part numbers? Would they be used on any other Ford vehicles.

Thanks for your comments maybe I can do better than some of the China stuff you see now. It would be a glass filled nylon material that is what it looks like now. Good wearing and not fragile.
Hi David

how about this:

http://autobodyclips.com/p101586/ABC72-3768/product_info.html

good luck! ;)

Cheers

Frank

Back