2v to 4v help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spydajs

Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
Hello,

I have a 73 302 2v.

I would like to change the intake manifold and carb in an effort of more hp.

Any suggestion of brand or anything I should be aware of?

Thx

Jason

With a 302 you have plenty of options. I only have 351 C's in my 7173. I would search the net on top performing 302 ford intakes and see what comes up.

Try not to go crazy on CFM. If your engine is stockish then 600cfm is more than enough.

Unless you are going to drag race it avoid a 'double pumper' and stick with vacuum secondaris.

eddy performer or weiand street warrior.

quick fuel vacuum secondary 600 or 650 cfm carb that c9zx mentioned.

buy the holley spring kit so you can tune the secondaries.

set your timing curve so it is optimal for your engine.

another good carb is the shoe box holley summit racing sells f you are on a budget . it has annular boosters and i think they sell rebuilt ones for only $200.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you have it installed you might find it worth the money to take the car to a chassis tuner. Make sure it's a place that does old school. You might even talk to them first about what to put on the car.

A friend of mine is trying to talk me out of putting the eddy performer and new carb on the 302 2V because he says it won't do anything since the engine isn't designed for that much gas/vaper into the headers and cams and exhaust etc. and that its would be a waste and just bogg down the engine.

Is there any truth to that?

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

While the Edelbrock carb would not be my choice, you will feel a noticeable increase in power but it will not be huge. Expect 10-15 HP increase, just a very rough estimate. Chuck

A friend of mine is trying to talk me out of putting the eddy performer and new carb on the 302 2V because he says it won't do anything since the engine isn't designed for that much gas/vaper into the headers and cams and exhaust etc. and that its would be a waste and just bogg down the engine.

Is there any truth to that?

Thanks in advance for the opinions.
Only if you put a 4 barrel that is excessively large on it.

The secondaries on a vacuum carb can be adjusted to open when you want thru the use of different springs.

This being said, don't expect to be suddenly able to roast the tires . The mild power increase will be mostly in the upper rpm range.

If you want quicker acceleration, you can change the rear gear ratio . Going one size numerically higher, like from 2.80 to 3.00 will make a mild but noticeable improvement . Going from 2.80 to 3.25 will make a fairly sizeable improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting ready to do this exact same thing. Im leaning toward a holly 600 cfm reman directly from Holley on ebay for 219.99. Then maybe a weiand stealth 8020. Im concerned that an edelbrock performer high rise wont fit under my stock hood.

If you stick with an Edelbrock Performer intake (non-high rise) it'll fit fine - they're made to the same deck height specs as the factory 2V/4V intakes.

For instance, I have an Edelbrock Performer intake and 600cfm carb combo on my 351C (2V to 4V), and the factory Ram Air cleaner still fits perfectly.

If you stick with an Edelbrock Performer intake (non-high rise) it'll fit fine - they're made to the same deck height specs as the factory 2V/4V intakes.

For instance, I have an Edelbrock Performer intake and 600cfm carb combo on my 351C (2V to 4V), and the factory Ram Air cleaner still fits perfectly.
Is yours stamped performer 289?

Is yours stamped performer 289?
Nevermind, just saw yours was 351

Is the Performer 289 a high-rise? My understanding is that the Performer Series is supposed to replace the factory intakes without creating the need to extensive modifications to the rest of the car.

I'm a big fan of Edelbrock products, but I admit I don't know everything. ;)

Back