Guess what this is?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Guess what this is? Today was a big day 71 loads of fill dirt moved, packed, graded and ready for foundation. Building will be here in about 7 weeks. After looking at it all this time a 50' X 80' building is too small wish I had gone 100'.

Would you believe the dirt and concrete cost as much as the building with 8" of insulation all around and house type insulated windows.

I will do one big thread at the end with a spreadsheet showing what it takes to build your garage.

I am beat when the truck put down the last load of gravel for the drive the sky opened up and the rains came. Was lucky did not get held up on the rain.

Septic in and ready to hook up plumbing. As usual I do all my own work no mater what it is. I start on plumbing after the builder comes in and stakes out the foundation. I also do the electrical.

Things like this keep a 68 year old guy feeling young.

Oh by the way I applied to be on Alone the show on Discovery channel. They ask me to make video and give my survival experience. So with some luck I might be alone away from all the car stuff next year, lol. I do set up safaris to Africa and have made 14 trips there myself and take clients on hunts. I guide while there. I use to guide hunts in Montana until I discovered Africa. I am one crazy old guy with a need for some adrenaline rush all the time.

Going to meet with my friend on the mold for the window guides tomorrow since I have a break in the building project. When you retire there is never any time to just relax. I will need a vacation after this.

For you young guys never waste a day do something with it, make something, build something you will like yourself better later in life. Never Never have a bucket list just do it as you desire.

DSC_2385.JPG

Wow, very inspirational. I hope I get to do 1/10th of what you're doing at your age. Congrats.

David,

man, I admire you and your spirit! Great, what you have done in your live and what you have planned for the future. Such guys as you or my parents for example are my idols for life!

Your build plan sounds good and your place looks great! Hope you will make good progress!

Are you serious about that Discovery channel thing? The New Dave Grylls or what?!?

All in all take care of you, David!

David,

man, I admire you and your spirit! Great, what you have done in your live and what you have planned for the future. Such guys as you or my parents for example are my idols for life!

Your build plan sounds good and your place looks great! Hope you will make good progress!

Are you serious about that Discovery channel thing? The New Dave Grylls or what?!?

All in all take care of you, David!
Tim,

Yes serious about getting on the show Alone. I have tried to get on Survivor a couple times and went to one of their curtain calls. I don't have big tattoos, not gay, not offensive to everyone so they don't want me.

The Alone show puts you on Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada. It rains a lot and is a miserable place. Who stays the longest wins $500,000. You are allowed to pick 10 items from a list they have and you have to build a shelter, forage and hunt for food and be alone. There are not any camera crews running around you do your own video. The island has a big population of bears, cougars and wolf and you have no weapons.

I have spent months in Africa running around in the bush as a guide. Spent many weeks in the wilderness in north west Montana, guided over 20 different hunters there and have always been an outside person. I had a whitewater rafting venture back in the 70's huge 18' raft would take 12 people at a time. Had more close calls there than anything I ever did. Water is so powerful and it can pull you down and hold you there.

I guess taking out the power lines at the airport when skydiving counts as a close call also. That was in the 80's.

I might be like one contestant was this year tapped out before dark the first day, lol. Bears scared him to death. Got to try or I will have a bucket list and never had one before.

You have to live life while you can not sit in regret in your old age.

David, you are certainly ambitious! I hope I'm healthy enough when 68 to do some of the things you do. I hope you make it onto Alone. I watched the first season and just started on the 2nd a couple of nights ago. The guy that tapped out before sundown was sure talking it up at his family gathering before the show started... I also watch Naked and Afraid... The big talkers are usually the first to drop....

Great advice on living for now instead of for tomorrow.

Regards,

BT

Well today I went to the local YRC trucking terminal and picked up my 10,000 lb. 2 post lift. I was very upset with the packing and have sent the seller photos and complaints. The whole lift will need a repaint, black in color. There was no pallet so the LTL carriers picked the thing up with fork truck on the actual lift so it is scuffed to H$%%. It was on 5 different trucks coming from California to S.C.. Not to mention the boat ride from China.

I will let every know what the outcome is but if it is anything like every other complaint I have with shipping it falls on deaf ears.

One of my cars that I paid extra to get shipped on the upper level to keep the oil dripping off was a mess. It was on the lower level covered in oil and the rear bumper was against the truck frame and had ruined the rubber strip on rear bumper of 73 vert. Had pictures of it on the truck with the bumper hitting the frame and not on the upper level and they would do nothing. They kept the extra money to ship on upper level and did nothing.

I won't post any pictures until it is up nothing to see but scratched up paint and decals.

That is why I do so much stuff myself I have never had good results from anyone else doing it for me.

On this one I blame the people that made the lift and the sorry packaging only one thin layer of Chinese cardboard and one layer of stretch wrap on a 1,665 lb. chunk of steel. Run a fork truck on that at least 8 times and what do you think it will look like. There was not even a detailed list of what was shipped except for say it was a Lift. There were three boxes and one had broken open so I have no idea if I got it all or not.

This looks awesome! Can't wait to see it all come together!! ::thumb::

Well today I went to the local YRC trucking terminal and picked up my 10,000 lb. 2 post lift. I was very upset with the packing and have sent the seller photos and complaints. The whole lift will need a repaint, black in color. There was no pallet so the LTL carriers picked the thing up with fork truck on the actual lift so it is scuffed to H$%%. It was on 5 different trucks coming from California to S.C.. Not to mention the boat ride from China.

I will let every know what the outcome is but if it is anything like every other complaint I have with shipping it falls on deaf ears.

One of my cars that I paid extra to get shipped on the upper level to keep the oil dripping off was a mess. It was on the lower level covered in oil and the rear bumper was against the truck frame and had ruined the rubber strip on rear bumper of 73 vert. Had pictures of it on the truck with the bumper hitting the frame and not on the upper level and they would do nothing. They kept the extra money to ship on upper level and did nothing.

I won't post any pictures until it is up nothing to see but scratched up paint and decals.

That is why I do so much stuff myself I have never had good results from anyone else doing it for me.

On this one I blame the people that made the lift and the sorry packaging only one thin layer of Chinese cardboard and one layer of stretch wrap on a 1,665 lb. chunk of steel. Run a fork truck on that at least 8 times and what do you think it will look like. There was not even a detailed list of what was shipped except for say it was a Lift. There were three boxes and one had broken open so I have no idea if I got it all or not.
Hope you made them note the damage on the bill of lading.

YRC has bent many NASA hoods because they remove them from the pallet that they were on when they left the loading dock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok an update on the lift. It had scratches all over and decal damaged and rubber piece on the upper limit bar damaged. To my surprise when I sent pictures and long explanation of condition they agreed to send repair parts and paint to fix damaged areas, no excuses no questions asked. Even though it was not noted on the shipping papers.

So since they have been very helpful and cooperative I will let you know who they are. Best Buy Automotive Equipment. They carry about any equipment you might need in any garage or body shop. The lift I got is a Dannmar Brigadier 10ACX ALI-ETL certified two post lift, 10,000 lb. They carry several brands. Also got a 50' hose reel and 8 gallon roll around upright oil drain. Was going to get a Mustang cart made by Auto Twirler but the shipping was crazy expensive from I think Utah. Same with a 20 gallon parts washer and parts paint tree stand. Shipping was crazy high. The shipping on the lift was free and also came with a 3 year warranty. Will pick up the parts washer at swap meet next week and maybe there will be a Mustang cart there I can get. If not I will build one.

There are lots of lifts for less money out there but most of them are not tested and if you watch some of the horror stories you can see them collapse when lifting their advertised weight.

Dannmar also makes a two post lift to work in low overhead areas & portable.

So I highly recommend going to Best Buy Automotive Equipment because they have had great service, and prices.

Pic is lift on my trailer Weigt is 1,665 lbs. so not too light.

Got my plumbing and electrical roughed in and called in for inspection but they tell me the builder has to call in the footing inspection first so waiting on him now. Plumber friend came over Saturday to help me sort out the layout. It looks crazy like in a circle but to have the vents wet that is how it had to be. I will get a picture later now is mud from rain.

I took camper to Pisgah Forest for my grandgirls to come visit this week got one of the last double spots. Of course that triggered a 2" downpour, lol. No rain to speak of for two weeks take the camper out and it rains. I will spend some time with them over the holiday.

DSC_2482.JPG

It's always a nice surprise when a company takes care of their products like that, seems to happen less all the time.

There are some things, besides washing your car, that seem to trigger a rain storm. It happens to us, too. I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but out here weather forecasts are worthless. At least they give me something to vent on, besides taking it out on tools in my workshop :)

Today was a big step forward got the slab poured for the shop. The building will be here Wednesday July 13. They came and inspected the footings before pour checking the soil compaction, position of the re bar, and the plumbing. All passed. They poured the footings 2 days ago and today they poured the slab. It took 84 yards of concrete for the footers and slab. They brought in a pump truck to make the job go faster and easier. The pump truck here at 6:00 and set up and crew for concrete arrived at 7:00. They were loaded up and gone at 2:00. They did the pour, worked it in, cut the expansion joints, cleaned the surface and applied clear sealer. Those guys moved no standing around. It was in the high 80's by the time they left. I will water it down later today to help not get cracks from too quick of a dry. The sealer is said to prevent a fast dry.

So if the weather holds I should have a building with roof and walls in a week or so depending on the rains.

Got to get some doors and windows ordered. I did not go for what the building suppliers offered they were not that great.

My pup supervised and all went good except for the culvert under the drive gave way to the heavy cement trucks will have to do over.

Just went and watered the concrete to keep it cool in this high 80's low 90's weather we are having. No cracks yet so will keep water on it all week end so it dries a little slower and stays cooler.

I ordered the LED lights for the shop. LED Vapor proof for the paint area and regular 4 footers for the open areas. Also got a LED flood for the area where I will put a fire pit. I want to get my lights up while the contractor has his scissor lift here. Lots of conduit to run and wire to pull for the drops and much easier with the lift.

I am very pleased with the contractor he has been very helpful loaning me his laser and tractor when it was here. Always asking if it all looks ok and lets me get in and do some work also. He is covered up with buildings his reputation and prices cannot be beat. He has all his own equipment and does not have to rent anything. He is also a car nut his dad is building a 40 ford sedan right now and he has one of the new camaros.

He is going to have his crew help me stand up my 2 post lift columns which is a life saver, 1,660 lbs. of steel. Most contractors when you mention adding or changing something say they will quote it he just does it.

Resting this weekend going out for dinner with gal friend and in recovery mode, lol.

Today was another big day the building arrived all 22,000 lbs. of it on one truck. I live on a rural two lane paved road so the builder had flag men to stop traffic and they unloaded at the end of the driveway. It made the trip from Alabama with no damage. They put the red iron on the slab and the sheeting and trim on grass to keep clean. The bad news is that they cannot start for two weeks they have a 150' X 80' building to do before mine, darn. The long reach fork truck blew a seal on cylinder the last lift they made.

The LED lights for the shop came today also. Sealed ones for the paint room and just regular for the open shop and LED floods for outside also. Should never have to put a bulb in they say 50,000 hours that is longer than I will live.

So I covered the sheeting up to prevent water spots when it rains and it just came a T-storm now.

I had visions of a roof on next week with walls.

This guy has customers lined up he never complains and does everything better than he is required. Never says I will quote that. They are going to stand up my 2 post lift for me and help drill the holes to bolt it down.

Doesn't look I will make it to Africa in August for sure.

Got to find a Chinese gal for massage.

Ok been trying to mover forward on the garage but my back and neck pain is horrible. Dr. says #5,6 &7 vertebra and pinching the nerves to my arms and hands. Once I loose muscle control I am done and not too far away. At least my son will have a great garage.

I will call in for the rough in electrical and the framing on the work room on Monday. Ran over 300 feet of conduit and pulled the wire. All outlets and switches are in place hanging so they can see everything.

The work room is built with LED lights on 45 deg. angle to make seeing on side of vehicle much better. Have LED light inside and out have tested and they are sooooo bright and should last forever. I got the 2 post lift up and installed. That was a challenge 1,600 lbs. by myself but did without using my back. Once I get this inspection I can close up all the electrical and insulate the work room and put up sheet rock. They moved the first shovel of dirt May 6, 2016 on this project and I have done all the work myself except the erection of the steel building. I learned how to use a track hoe during this adventure.

I hope to put together a slide show when finished to show how you can do this yourself. If a 68 year old guy with worn out back can do it anyone can. I just hope I can get a few Mustangs through before I have to do like everyone and call it quits. My son will have the best garage for sure. He came and helped put up the 2" X 12" 16' ceiling joists in the work room.

A big unknown is what they will require for fire barrier between the work room and the steel building. Code says if over 8' you have to have a fire barrier. That is easy if a normal wall but not so it between a steel building with 6" of insulation.

Also hit a brain dead cell. Have to make the corner cuts to make the reverse hip inside the work room will have to search the net been since the 60's since I have done that.

All you young guys and gals never think you cannot do something you might be slower but you can do it.

Sorry for any spelling or grammar errors I have had a few rum and cokes trying to kill the pain, lol. ABC store says I am best customer, lol.

I am one of those baby boomers that believes that anything is possible if you want it bad enough. I am known locally as the crazy old guy. Remember only 10 years ago I was broke had nothing and now my house is debt free and the garage is also no financing. You have to desire something to make it happen. Never give up never say impossible.

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

Back