replace rear shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fonzogt25

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 w/ 1971 351c
hey everyone, i have a 73 with the fold down seats. i cant figure out how to remove the back section of the fold down set to get to the rear shocks.

i see the two brackets on the piano fold parts after you remove the rear seat, do i have to remove those two sections to remove the section that just lays flat?

I just went through this. The flat, rear carpeted panel is screwed down with 4 screws. They might be hard to find if the carpet has "grown" over the stew heads. Remove those 4 screws and you can take out the rectangle panel to gain access to the tops of the shocks. (They're under oval grommet plugs)

What Scooter said. This was the first thing I did to my car and even the local "expert" seemed confused on how to access the top of the shocks. I started to remove the rear seat as well on his advice. You should not need to do this but now oyu know how to!

Just get that panel off. I seem to recall I bought a "special" tool to hold the top of the shock while bolting it in. I'm sure that there are work arounds for that.

I just wanted to buy another tool :)

Good luck.

Awesome! Thanks so much! The only screws i could find i thought held the carpeting in. Ill take another gander and see if i can find the screws for that panel! Appreciate the help!

Ill just make my brother crawl under the car and hold the shock for me haha!

Back